BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

So it has been 6 months since I received my car and I have a bunch of thoughts, I thought I would share. The world seems to have moved on now from the frenzy that was the 1M on our site, now it is all about the new M5, new M3, etc. which should offer some perspective now.

What makes 1M special
There was a line in one of the Top Gear reviews where Jeremy said, while other manufacturers are trying to make cars faster around a corner, the 1M is all about HOW it goes around the corner. I think how the 1M does things is what makes it special. For example, the M3 is probably a better more stable high speed platform but around here where there is nowhere to really go high speed every day, the M3 is out of its element. Aside from the awesome sound and good looks in the sedan version, it can be a little underwhelming.

On the other hand the 1M feels a bit more raw. I'm an old guy and drive like a responsible citizen 99.999% time and yet I enjoy going 70 mph in the 1M. It's stiff, bouncy, a little loud so 70 mph in the 1M feels like 80 mph. On the other hand the more refined higher speed platforms, 70 mph feels like 50 mph. So yes, if you DON'T want to feel speed, then those cars are better but I love that the car feels fast at legals speeds, in our "real world." When I told friends I went 150 mph on the autobahn many of them said, "it probably felt like you were going 80 (mph)" They were wrong, maybe in a Jaguar or Lexus sedan....150 mph in the 1M felt like 150 mph! Car manufaturers spend millions of dollars to insulate the driver from what is happening to the car. They hide the sound of an engine wailing at speed, they insulate the suspension from the road surface, they put nannies that make you feel safe and comfy at unsafe speeds. Not the 1M. At 150, I felt the grooves and imperfections of the road. I heard the motor pushing the car through the air and I heard the air rushing around the car and while I wasn't scared to death, I didn't feel safe...it felt just right...just the way you should feel when you are barrelling down a two lane road faster than a Cessna. That is what makes the 1M special for me. Things feel the way they should feel.

On power
Now that faster cars are coming out, there seems to be a rush to get more power out of the 1M. I can understand it. We want to be able to keep up with the faster cars or at least know we can. For me, I think the 1M has enough power and my wish is just to be able to harness it. I love the surge in power but if there was one thing I wish a tuner could do was quicker throttle response, not more power. My buddy has a 1964 Jaguar that he let me drive from Cars and Coffee Irvine to San Diego. This car had carburettors and was almost 40 years old. While it didn't have the power of our cars, I was blown away by the instant throttle response. So that is my wish from tuners and manufacturers. Not just more power, but more linear power delivery and quicker throttle response.

On rattles, less than perfection
The 1 series was an economy car from the beginning. I think BMW did a fine job building an economy car and while I also don't like rattles, etc. I am more understanding of it because I remind myself of its origins. Yes, the price is not economy car price but the car was supposed to be the cheapest ///M car ever built and what made it a 60K car in many cases was dealer mark-ups and them ordering cars fully-loaded.

On Cult status
I still don't know how history will judge our cars but I'm glad I got one. Most people in SoCal don't know what it is. I am asked if that's an M3 sometimes or what car it is but every now and then it happens. Someone knows what it is and this becomes a special connection so I think it's a cool thing that only some people know. Last week at McDonalds when getting my morning coffee, the cash register girl, probably about 23 years old said....wow a 1M! I nodded and asked her how she knew. She said, her and her brothers love cars and they knew what it was...that was cool.

Last edited by nachob; 03-18-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Very cool, thanks for the write-up
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Excellent write up. I agree with your observations, especially the fact the car is a lot of fun at regular (i.e. legal) speeds. The car feels much more alive and organic than most contemporary cars. I think that is perhaps the most important distinction between the 1M and the M3. The M3 is so uber competent at regular speeds, it makes routine driving trips a bit mundane. Whereas a trip to the gas station in the 1M can be an engaging ride.

I also agree with the high speed observations. Although I have not gotten up to autobahn speeds, I have noticed that the "twitchy" nature of the 1M keeps things exciting once the needle heads north of 80-90 mph.

I've noticed a few rattles which don't bother me much since this car is about driving and not creature comforts. But I am disappointed in the paint quality which would probably get a paint chip if you sneezed in proximity to the car.

The amount of road and engine noise transmitted into the interior is much more noticeable than my 335. I wonder if BMW removed some sound insulation from the 1M to obtain weight savings (I've never driven a regular 1 series and have no reference for this particular chassis). Regardless, the increased noise is a welcome change since it adds to the overall experience of driving the 1M.

Last edited by HERR FSTIR; 03-18-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
But I am disappointed in the paint quality which would probably get a paint chip if you sneezed in proximity to the car.
LOL...Yes, I am careful to sneeze the other way and I keep my touch-up paint and Meguiars Quik-Detailer handy!

: )
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Great write up.

My Daily Driver is a 2005 Subaru WRX STi which makes the ride in my 1M Soooo Smooth in comparison. I sold my 2007 E90 335i to my Brother prior to picking up my 1M. I did an ED in May of 07 and drove the 335i (after 1200 miles) at 140 mph on the Autobahn. The 335i was very stable at this speed, and while I only got the 1M up to 115 mph since it was below the 1200 mile break in period, it felt very stable to me.

My 1M rides so much better than my 335i did it's crazy how noticeable it is. Every time my brother drives the 1M he mentions how much better the 1M takes bumps over his 335i. If you should hit a fairly large bump in the 335i it's like an explosion going off.

I changed the Run Flats on my 335i after 7K miles because I couldn't stand the harsh ride. I put 19" wheels and Bridgestone RE11 tires on it and it still road better than the stock 18" with Run Flats. However the 335i suffered from the Worst Shocks I have ever felt on a BMW. Had I kept my 335i I would have changed out to Koni or Bilstein shocks

I get complements from everyone who rides in my 1M on how perfect the suspension setup feels. To me the 1M makes my STi feel like a Jeep. The wheel base on my STi is only 100" so if you want to drive a Twitchy car give an STi a try.

I couldn't be happier with the overall performance of my 1M. It's Without a doubt the best BMW I have ever owned. And I am an Old Guy, going back to the three BMW 2002's I owned by 20.

I just can't say enough how great the suspension setup is on the 1M and how much it reminds me of my 2002's and e30 M3 in the overall engaging feel of driving this car.

It is very true that our 1M's are the Spiritual successor to the original E30 M3 in overall feel and driving experience. A feel that the E90/92 M3 just doesn't have.

August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Ty for the great review
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I love the surge in power but if there was one thing I wish a tuner could do was quicker throttle response, not more power... So that is my wish from tuners and manufacturers. Not just more power, but more linear power delivery and quicker throttle response.
Absolutely. Every tuner I've seen concentrates on maximizing numbers, but they are not serious about improving drive-ability. Cranking up the boost increases turbo lag. I don't need any more torque, in gears 1-3 in particular. What I do need is sharper response and more predictability, and that's clearly possible.

High flow catted downpipes w/ resonated midpipe would maximize spool. I'd then add a tune that doesn't increase peak boost but does hold it longer for more peak power. Unfortunately I haven't found a tuner willing to trade torque peak numbers for drive-ability. So far. If anyone knows of one that will please let me know.
      03-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
I couldn't be happier with the overall performance of my 1M. It's Without a doubt the best BMW I have ever owned. And I am an Old Guy, going back to the three BMW 2002's I owned by 20.
Same here. The moment I drove my 1M off the dealership lot I harkened back to the first time I drove a '74 2002 tii (a friend's car) in 1974. It was like no other car I had ever driven. It felt tight, responsive and connected to the road.

My 1M is the most intuitive car I have ever driven. It is as if you need only think which way you would like to go - and how fast - and the car complies, almost effortlessly.

I've got an E36 M3 with a heavily modified engine (custom ground cams, racing pistons, ported and polished head, oversize valves and injectors, headers, etc.) and it is fun to drive, but I have only put 700 miles on it since picking up the 1M last October, despite thinking I would keep it for my daily driver. The 1M has a little over 5,000 miles on it.

I didn't buy the 1M to be a show-off, but I gotta admit it is fun to have the young guys who know what it is come up and ask me if they can take a picture of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

Your write up was perfect! The 1M is by far the best car I've driven. My E46 M3, while a great car, feels antique in comparison. I HAPPILY got rid of my E92 M3 to get this car. It is just as involving, raw and fun to drive as my 1967 Ferrari 330 GT.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

I am also a 135i M-Sport to 1M convert, and while my bank account hates me, it is totally worth it!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
Your write up was perfect! The 1M is by far the best car I've driven. My E46 M3, while a great car, feels antique in comparison. I HAPPILY got rid of my E92 M3 to get this car. It is just as involving, raw and fun to drive as my 1967 Ferrari 330 GT.
That's a great stable you have to choose from. I'd love to see pictures of the cars together, especially the 330 GT.
      03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
So it has been 6 months since I received my car and I have a bunch of thoughts, I thought I would share. The world seems to have moved on now from the frenzy that was the 1M on our site, now it is all about the new M5, new M3, etc. which should offer some perspective now.

What makes 1M special
There was a line in one of the Top Gear reviews where Jeremy said, while other manufacturers are trying to make cars faster around a corner, the 1M is all about HOW it goes around the corner. I think how the 1M does things is what makes it special. For example, the M3 is probably a better more stable high speed platform but around here where there is nowhere to really go high speed every day, the M3 is out of its element. Aside from the awesome sound and good looks in the sedan version, it can be a little underwhelming.

On the other hand the 1M feels a bit more raw. I'm an old guy and drive like a responsible citizen 99.999% time and yet I enjoy going 70 mph in the 1M. It's stiff, bouncy, a little loud so 70 mph in the 1M feels like 80 mph. On the other hand the more refined higher speed platforms, 70 mph feels like 50 mph. So yes, if you DON'T want to feel speed, then those cars are better but I love that the car feels fast at legals speeds, in our "real world." When I told friends I went 150 mph on the autobahn many of them said, "it probably felt like you were going 80 (mph)" They were wrong, maybe in a Jaguar or Lexus sedan....150 mph in the 1M felt like 150 mph! Car manufaturers spend millions of dollars to insulate the driver from what is happening to the car. They hide the sound of an engine wailing at speed, they insulate the suspension from the road surface, they put nannies that make you feel safe and comfy at unsafe speeds. Not the 1M. At 150, I felt the grooves and imperfections of the road. I heard the motor pushing the car through the air and I heard the air rushing around the car and while I wasn't scared to death, I didn't feel safe...it felt just right...just the way you should feel when you are barrelling down a two lane road faster than a Cessna. That is what makes the 1M special for me. Things feel the way they should feel.

On power
Now that faster cars are coming out, there seems to be a rush to get more power out of the 1M. I can understand it. We want to be able to keep up with the faster cars or at least know we can. For me, I think the 1M has enough power and my wish is just to be able to harness it. I love the surge in power but if there was one thing I wish a tuner could do was quicker throttle response, not more power. My buddy has a 1964 Jaguar that he let me drive from Cars and Coffee Irvine to San Diego. This car had carburettors and was almost 40 years old. While it didn't have the power of our cars, I was blown away by the instant throttle response. So that is my wish from tuners and manufacturers. Not just more power, but more linear power delivery and quicker throttle response.

On rattles, less than perfection
The 1 series was an economy car from the beginning. I think BMW did a fine job building an economy car and while I also don't like rattles, etc. I am more understanding of it because I remind myself of its origins. Yes, the price is not economy car price but the car was supposed to be the cheapest ///M car ever built and what made it a 60K car in many cases was dealer mark-ups and them ordering cars fully-loaded.

On Cult status
I still don't know how history will judge our cars but I'm glad I got one. Most people in SoCal don't know what it is. I am asked if that's an M3 sometimes or what car it is but every now and then it happens. Someone knows what it is and this becomes a special connection so I think it's a cool thing that only some people know. Last week at McDonalds when getting my morning coffee, the cash register girl, probably about 23 years old said....wow a 1M! I nodded and asked her how she knew. She said, her and her brothers love cars and they knew what it was...that was cool.
There's an old saying, "It can be more fun to drive fast in a slow car than it is to drive slow in a fast car."

Yes, we know the 1M is not slow, but I think your comments speak to that saying.

BTW, I wouldn't say the basis of the 1M is an "economy" car.
I mean, the 135i is some really special "economy" car.

Some others have discussed their rattle issues, but my 135i has been driven for 28K miles on Chicago area roads and it's still pretty solid.
The roads around are far from great, and we've got lots of roads that are marked with asphalt repair bumps and dips along with road breaks and grooves all mixed with frost heaves and pot holes.
I do my best to avoid the big holes and have been lucky, only hitting about 2 small ones. No damage and no dents or bends to the wheels.
I think my non RFT Conti's helped with that.

Thanks for the review.
The 1M sure is sweet and special.

I've never had a chance to drive one, so can someone who has had a 135i and now owns a 1M, what is the ride quality in comparison?
Compared to even some family sedans, my 135i rides quite nicely for daily driving, and the body structure and suspension don't give any jarring on certain heavy bumps or cracks. It ain't the best sport suspension, but it still has that nice BMW ride compliance.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Absolutely. Every tuner I've seen concentrates on maximizing numbers, but they are not serious about improving drive-ability. Cranking up the boost increases turbo lag. I don't need any more torque, in gears 1-3 in particular. What I do need is sharper response and more predictability, and that's clearly possible.

High flow catted downpipes w/ resonated midpipe would maximize spool. I'd then add a tune that doesn't increase peak boost but does hold it longer for more peak power. Unfortunately I haven't found a tuner willing to trade torque peak numbers for drive-ability. So far. If anyone knows of one that will please let me know.
I too think that a better tune would be one that allows for better throttle response, and move the max torque up in the rev band. As you note, the low rpm torque is way plentiful stock.

Your thinking is sound on the higher flow cat and straight midpipes, along with larger tubing from end to end is right on regarding faster spool, as that does directly correlate to better throttle response.

There is something else you can do or add, get the turbines "clipped". That will help the turbo's flow a bit better at higher rpm. Clipping lightens the turbine and allows better flow at higher rpm. So it gives 2 things, faster spool and greater flow.
That can give a tuner a bit of room to ramp up boost at higher rpm and hold back a bit at lower rpm.
Not a bad way to go.

But, the problem with trying to move the power band is that these twin turbo's are tiny and they just can't flow at higher rpm in order to move the power band. That's why they are great for off idle torque production as they can spool very quickly due to the lightness of the turbines. When tuners turn up peak boost the curve mimics the stock curve just at higher output. To get great torque and move the power band up the rev band, greater turbo flow is needed, which means larger turbo's. That then leads to greater lag though.

You made a comment about greater lag with increased boost.
I didn't feel that in a 135i I helped install a JB+, nor in my A4 2.0T with APR tuning. I did feel the added lag when I installed a larger turbo in my old Mits/Chrysler Eclipse/Laser Turbo. But, that was a hybrid turbo that used the same turbine housing packed with a larger turbine wheel. It has greater flow rate, but it increased lag due to the larger turbine needing more time to spool.

You probably know the following, so bear with me.
Mechanically speaking, turning up the boost on the same turbo/s shouldn't result in increased lag. With stock turbo's and boost turned up, they will spool as quickly as before, because you haven't changed anything other than holding off when you're going to dump/divert excess exhaust pressure to the turbine. The turbo/s are still doing what they did before in the same way, it's just that instead of opening the waste gates at stock boost pressure, you're holding it off until a higher pressure is reached.

Maybe you're feeling a perceived "lag" due to the big increase in torque, so that going from nothing to HOLD ON is greater than stock. So the bigger power hit with greater boost is that much bigger and is taking just a tad longer to hit it's new max boost level. But that's not "lag" per se. The turbo's are still spinning up as quickly as before and are giving you boost as quickly as before. The only difference is that the boost will build to a higher psi before the waste gates open.

For the throttle, I'm sure the tuners can alter the throttle pedal's response by altering the response curve of the throttle plate. Since these are DBW throttle, they could "speed up" the throttle opening even when the driver applies the same pedal movement.
This trick is done on small low powered cars where the first 25% of pedal movement gives a 50% or greater throttle opening thus giving the driver a sense of greater power off the line. But then greater throttle input results in not much more happening.
So if a tuner were to increase the actual throttle plate opening per a given amount of pedal travel it would help with the impression of quicker throttle response. That could be good or bad.
I believe there are some devices available aftermarket that do just that.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Mechanically speaking, turning up the boost on the same turbo/s shouldn't result in increased lag. With stock turbo's and boost turned up, they will spool as quickly as before, because you haven't changed anything other than holding off when you're going to dump/divert excess exhaust pressure to the turbine.
Turning up the boost increases the amount of time between when you floor the throttle and when the motor fully responds to your command for max power. The turbo might not actually be spinning up any slower, but the effect from behind the wheel is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
For the throttle, I'm sure the tuners can alter the throttle pedal's response by altering the response curve of the throttle plate. Since these are DBW throttle, they could "speed up" the throttle opening even when the driver applies the same pedal movement.
Effectively this is what the M button does, and I'm not a big fan. It might change your perception of the engine's responsiveness, but that doesn't change the time from flooring the throttle to max torque, which is what I'm after.