BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #23
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep
Drives: E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
Havent seen this before but now im interested... I had my car coded by a member here a few years ago. He did it out of the bronx and didnt charge anything.

Really nice guy and everything came out great. When i moved down to florida my local dealership cleared all the coding off. This seems like a nice alternative to paying a shop several hundred dollars to code it.
I wish I had someone nice locally to do that for me!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #24
spinnakerflying
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i, 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaNaNaBoy69 View Post
You should download the free BMWhat Lite version to test if your adapter can work with the app.
I did this last night... the Lite app connected and worked well with the ELM 327 Wifi OBDII device, so I purchased the full app. 10 minutes total and I now have my windows closing via key fob. $50 might seem expensive, but I would have probably spent a couple hours tinkering with the NCExpert/BMWTools to get that far. Thanks, OP!

This page lists what coding options are available for our cars:
http://www.ivini-apps.com/coding.html
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #25
halfhalo
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E88 135i

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaNaNaBoy69 View Post
NCS Expert/INPA and the cable/adapter are definitely a cheaper option and I did consider it. But how much is your time worth, especially since your need to re-setup everything you lost? The learning curve, setup time and coding are definitely more time consuming. I want quick and dirty coding without having to manually code like a computer programmer. If you had BMWhat, you would just have to connect the smartphone app to your car and press a couple of buttons and, your coding is back.
True, the BMWhat is cheaper, but it also doesn't let you do things like the Alpina Flash and retrofitting the alarm, both of which I have done.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #26
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

With BMWhat, I can change the voltage of the angel eyes when the xenons are on?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #27
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by camsbored View Post
I did this last night... the Lite app connected and worked well with the ELM 327 Wifi OBDII device, so I purchased the full app. 10 minutes total and I now have my windows closing via key fob. $50 might seem expensive, but I would have probably spent a couple hours tinkering with the NCExpert/BMWTools to get that far. Thanks, OP!

This page lists what coding options are available for our cars:
That's awesome! I'm glad I could help and I don't even have the app yet!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #28
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfhalo View Post
True, the BMWhat is cheaper, but it also doesn't let you do things like the Alpina Flash and retrofitting the alarm, both of which I have done.
Hopefully, the developer keeps updating the app and one day it can code a whole bunch of cool options. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #29
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
With BMWhat, I can change the voltage of the angel eyes when the xenons are on?
BMWhat can change the voltage of the angel eyes up to 13.8v max, but I'm unsure whether this applies to if the xenons are on or off. Typically, the angel eyes are at full power when the xenons are off and dim down when the xenons are on. It would be cool if the angel eyes were always at full power regardless.

Check this link out for a full list of coding options.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #30
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Yes you can set the angel eyes to 13.8v. I've had them that way with lights on and off since I got the car. Done through BMWhat.

Does anyone here have some patience and want to show an IT guy how to use NCE? Or have any guide with a sample coding done etc? I have all the stuff I need, including a VM that has all the tools installed/configured at least. I just don't really know where to start reading to make sure I don't screw anything up. I'm usually really good with this stuff, just nervous to try it on my expensive car haha.

Honestly the only thing I want to do at this point that I haven't been able to do is disable the i-drive start up warning. Can anyone confirm that is even possible on a 2010? I'd really love to learn how to do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #31
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Yes you can set the angel eyes to 13.8v. I've had them that way with lights on and off since I got the car. Done through BMWhat.

Does anyone here have some patience and want to show an IT guy how to use NCE? Or have any guide with a sample coding done etc? I have all the stuff I need, including a VM that has all the tools installed/configured at least. I just don't really know where to start reading to make sure I don't screw anything up. I'm usually really good with this stuff, just nervous to try it on my expensive car haha.

Honestly the only thing I want to do at this point that I haven't been able to do is disable the i-drive start up warning. Can anyone confirm that is even possible on a 2010? I'd really love to learn how to do that.
You should check out 'b m w coding .com'. I've also found many resources just searching for coding on the forums (e90post, etc) and Google.

According to this, you should be able to use software to manually code disabling the iDrive startup disclaimer. I'd love to get rid of that too!

See Row 11 on the spreadsheet.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...owsperpage=250

Last edited by BaNaNaBoy69; 06-04-2014 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Website censored
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #32
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post

Sweet, I'll have to download this and buy a bluetooth OBD port and check it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #33
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Maybe a minor clarification is appropriate for NCSExpert. I haven't used it in awhile but it is not real time consuming to use. I would say it is cumbersome. I ran INPA to be sure I was connected and then NCSExpert to make changes. For each change, you download the portion of the cars software that the item you want to change is in, make the change (in a wordprocessor or notepad), and then load the modified script. The whole process is a few minutes. But the commands you need to use are not obvious so I used a tutorial that had step by step instructions each time I made a change.

If this phone tool is just a function of issuing a command or something, it would be a useful simplification of the process. If I knew it did battery coding I might get it for my wifes phone (mine is a work phone). I have a bluetooth that might work (I use it for Torque sometimes). Or maybe I could put this on a tablet, I have an Android tablet.

Anybody try this software on a tablet? I looked for battery registration and didn't see it in the list of features.
      06-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #34
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Works fine on tablets. You really don't want to use any BT adapter. Its worth it to get theirs. My results were up and down constantly with one that works fine for torque.

Once I got the BT adapter they sold it was smooth sailing and much faster as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #35
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Just ordered an ELM 327 wifi (iPhone). This looks like a good option for the cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #36
Mortify
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i m sport

I just did my coding today, I already had a USB cable for my alpina flash. Also I took the cheap ass way and just googled "BMWhat v12 apk" so I didn't have to pay. Oh well sue me.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #37
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortify View Post
I just did my coding today, I already had a USB cable for my alpina flash. Also I took the cheap ass way and just googled "BMWhat v12 apk" so I didn't have to pay. Oh well sue me.
I'm down with pirating movies or whatever, but this is pretty shitty. There are so few people interested in BMW coding apps that they need to sell this for a higher price in order to justify the time spent developing such a niche app. Seriously, this is why no one cares to spend the tons of time it takes to do things like this.

Drives a BMW yet is too cheap to pay for the app that saves you money compared to getting the car coded by a vendor or someone. Classy.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #38
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I agree. I'll pirate most anything. But for something like this, just pay the money
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #39
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
I agree. I'll pirate most anything. But for something like this, just pay the money
Yep. The movie industry doesn't care about joe smith when 1 million other people go see the movie. When one person doesn't buy an app like this, that is probably closer to 1% of their target market. That really hurts them. I pirated the same app to see if it worked, then I bought it because this is the kind of thing that only exists with support.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #40
Mortify
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i m sport

I paid for jb4 mobile, but this app caters to every BMW. And 60 bucks?? Jb4 mobile was 30. Gimme a break!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #41
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep

Garage List
The good thing about paying for this app is for the updates since coding options are constantly being added. I like BitTorrent as much as the next guy but you would have to constantly search for the latest pirated update, which wouldn't be easy and you don't usually have to do with software or entertainment.

I figure the app would pay for itself once I've coded or check/cleared fault codes even once. Just like my $300 radar detector has paid for itself many times over by saving me from $200 speeding tickets several times over the years. Except you can't pirate a radar detector.

Last edited by BaNaNaBoy69; 06-05-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #42
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortify View Post
I paid for jb4 mobile, but this app caters to every BMW. And 60 bucks?? Jb4 mobile was 30. Gimme a break!
Are you sure you didn't just pay for JB4 mobile because they have better protection and its much harder to pirate? I tried to pirate it to test it like I do all expensive apps. I couldn't find a copy and bought it based on the good reviews, luckily it works great.

Like I said I pirated BMWhat, tried it out to make sure it worked and once I was able to code my key settings, I bought it immediately. Even though I could do the same for free. You just need to know when something is worthy of paying for. Projects like BMWhat definitely are.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #43
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

darkrom,

If you want to run INPA or NCSExpert I highly recommend going to b M
w c o d I n g . c o m and finding the long tutorial I use. It is on the order of 75 steps but works. Once you've successfully done something, I think initializing the digital speedometer is their example in the tutorial, you can start at about step 50. The initial steps are to be sure you are plugged up correctly and have things in the right directory. Making a backup copy of your cars settings is also one of the early steps of the tutorial. If you have the backup, you should always be able to go back.

One mistake some people have made is to let their battery run down while coding. That can create a mess but I would never spend that long at it. If you think you might, hooking up a battery charger may be worthwhile.

Good Luck!

Jim
      06-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #44
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
darkrom,

If you want to run INPA or NCSExpert I highly recommend going to b M
w c o d I n g . c o m and finding the long tutorial I use. It is on the order of 75 steps but works. Once you've successfully done something, I think initializing the digital speedometer is their example in the tutorial, you can start at about step 50. The initial steps are to be sure you are plugged up correctly and have things in the right directory. Making a backup copy of your cars settings is also one of the early steps of the tutorial. If you have the backup, you should always be able to go back.

One mistake some people have made is to let their battery run down while coding. That can create a mess but I would never spend that long at it. If you think you might, hooking up a battery charger may be worthwhile.

Good Luck!

Jim

Thanks. I'll have to just fight the ADD and get through it haha.

That'll actually be really good to do since I skipped the digital speedo mod while coding with BMWhat, even though it offers it.

Could I be a huge pain in the ass and ask you to PM me a link? I'll be looking around, but once I have the right guide I'll be good to go I'm sure.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0