BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #45
joeo
First Lieutenant
55
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: 2009 Crimson Red 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sterling, Va

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMM 135i  [4.75]
Wow - that looks great! What diameter piping is that? Where did you get the NACA ducts from?
Thanks.

-Joe
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #46
davidwarren
Captain
davidwarren's Avatar
167
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisville, ky

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeo View Post
Wow - that looks great! What diameter piping is that? Where did you get the NACA ducts from?
Thanks.

-Joe
I got the ducts from Pegasus.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...YoFRoCaLvw_wcB

In the photo is 2.25 ducting, but the NACA duct takes 2.5. Just ordered some from Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/ducting/scat.php

The funny thing is, if you look at the stock underbody tray (at least on an e90), there are little triangular shapes already in the panel. That is the ONLY place the NACA ducts will fit.
__________________
2010 335i e90 Le Mans Blue/Chestnut Brown | M-Sport | 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #47
dcaron9999
Major
dcaron9999's Avatar
Canada
139
Rep
1,409
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i M package
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mirabel, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I revised my brake ducts and went a different direction. I installed NACA ducts in my underbody tray.

View post on imgur.com
Do you find that enough air gets forced through that belly pan? Im tapping my 2 inch flexible hose into the standard bumper ducts and connecting to center of my brake dust shields on my 135i. Seems to be doing the job.

On average, I need to change my flexible piping about once per season as it gets chewed up , from moving control arms, sway bar, and slight rubbing during tight turns.
__________________
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 09:07 PM   #48
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I got the ducts from Pegasus.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...YoFRoCaLvw_wcB

In the photo is 2.25 ducting, but the NACA duct takes 2.5. Just ordered some from Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/ducting/scat.php

The funny thing is, if you look at the stock underbody tray (at least on an e90), there are little triangular shapes already in the panel. That is the ONLY place the NACA ducts will fit.

Ducts look good. Do you have any additional info you could share on your oil cooler install? Cooler model, how you made the bracket, and oil lines?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #49
davidwarren
Captain
davidwarren's Avatar
167
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisville, ky

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Do you find that enough air gets forced through that belly pan? Im tapping my 2 inch flexible hose into the standard bumper ducts and connecting to center of my brake dust shields on my 135i. Seems to be doing the job.

On average, I need to change my flexible piping about once per season as it gets chewed up , from moving control arms, sway bar, and slight rubbing during tight turns.
Couldn't tell you for sure. But I can say that that area should get plenty of air flow, and the NACA ducts are designed to pull air flow off a flat surface. So it should work, but I have no empirical data to prove so. I am only going to run ducting when I am on the track. I originally went with your hose routing between the front control arm and the sway bar, but mine was squished from suspension movement. I have a Whiteline front sway bar and I think it has a different shape that doesn't work as well for that.
__________________
2010 335i e90 Le Mans Blue/Chestnut Brown | M-Sport | 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #50
davidwarren
Captain
davidwarren's Avatar
167
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisville, ky

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Ducts look good. Do you have any additional info you could share on your oil cooler install? Cooler model, how you made the bracket, and oil lines?
yeah, I had a thread with my build and parts list. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145478

I am running the stock oil cooler and this setrab in parallel. This is fed from the two blocked off ports on top of the stock thermostat. It's a setrab 625 and I just made the lines myself.

Originally, I built a mount with some all-thread and mounted it to the plastic support under the headlight and the radiator support. It was very stable, but the all-thread was starting to rust and looked bad.

So I just cut some angle stock and used SS bolts with locking nuts to fab up a new mount earlier this year. It is actually cantilevered off the front frame rail. The bumper support bolts up to the frame rail with four bolts, I basically loosened the bolts and tucked the end of the angle stock between and tightened them back down! It is not a complicated mount at all, but gets the job done.
__________________
2010 335i e90 Le Mans Blue/Chestnut Brown | M-Sport | 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #51
squidge
First Lieutenant
85
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: 1997 Porsche 911
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

iTrader: (4)

I love the NACA ducts in the belly pan. Great idea.

I've been considering designing and 3D printing some ducts since I have access to this. Not sure if I have the CAD chops anymore but I'd like to give it a go.

From an aesthetic standpoint I really like the idea of something firm and plastic as opposed to flexible ducting, but I need to think more about routing and placement. Something like this RSX duct. I guess the primary benefit of the flexible ducting is that they can deliver air directly to the rotors throughout the range of motion, whereas something fixed would just blow air in the general direction. A shorter flexible hose could bridge the gap, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #52
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
yeah, I had a thread with my build and parts list. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145478

I am running the stock oil cooler and this setrab in parallel. This is fed from the two blocked off ports on top of the stock thermostat. It's a setrab 625 and I just made the lines myself.

Originally, I built a mount with some all-thread and mounted it to the plastic support under the headlight and the radiator support. It was very stable, but the all-thread was starting to rust and looked bad.

So I just cut some angle stock and used SS bolts with locking nuts to fab up a new mount earlier this year. It is actually cantilevered off the front frame rail. The bumper support bolts up to the frame rail with four bolts, I basically loosened the bolts and tucked the end of the angle stock between and tightened them back down! It is not a complicated mount at all, but gets the job done.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #53
davidwarren
Captain
davidwarren's Avatar
167
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisville, ky

iTrader: (0)

ah man. These brake ducts worked incredibly well. I did over 130 laps at Putnam this weekend in 90+ temps without any brake fade. Such a huge improvement from cooking a caliper earlier this year.
__________________
2010 335i e90 Le Mans Blue/Chestnut Brown | M-Sport | 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #54
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
E82MSport's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 08' Crimson 135i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Rochester Hills - MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I revised my brake ducts and went a different direction. I installed NACA ducts in my underbody tray.

View post on imgur.com
Do you have any image of the hose connection to the dust shield?
__________________
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #55
davidwarren
Captain
davidwarren's Avatar
167
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisville, ky

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82MSport View Post
Do you have any image of the hose connection to the dust shield?
just a hose flange riveted to the backer plate. Nothing fancy. I got it as close to the center as possible without touching anything else.

View post on imgur.com
__________________
2010 335i e90 Le Mans Blue/Chestnut Brown | M-Sport | 6MT
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #56
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
E82MSport's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 08' Crimson 135i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Rochester Hills - MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
just a hose flange riveted to the backer plate. Nothing fancy. I got it as close to the center as possible without touching anything else.

View post on imgur.com
Cool, thank you!
__________________
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #57
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Any updates on your brake ducts? Still working good?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #58
davidwarren
Captain
davidwarren's Avatar
167
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisville, ky

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Any updates on your brake ducts? Still working good?
Mine? So far so good. I only run the ducting while on track. The tire rubs the ducting with some steering angle. Getting ready to hit Road Atlanta in March, so they better still work! Haha
__________________
2010 335i e90 Le Mans Blue/Chestnut Brown | M-Sport | 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #59
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Thanks for the update
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #60
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
60
Rep
510
Posts

Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW F15 X5  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Here is what I have come up with for this coming season. Not bad for $30 each plus the cost of the hose and clamps. Have not run the hose yet but the plan is similar to everyone elses run to the front bumper. Its a 3" inlet so I tried to get as much of the airflow to the center as I could.
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #61
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Can you share more information on how you made those? What brakes are you running?
__________________
2011 LMB 135i DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:02 AM   #62
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
60
Rep
510
Posts

Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW F15 X5  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Sure, I purchased some universal brake ducts from Allstar performance, made a template out of cardboard with the inlet as close to the center as possible making sure I can still use the existing holes on the wheel carrier to mount the brake ducts and then I cut using a dremel and mounted.

Brakes are Stop tech Trophy which won't affect your mounting and you could also retain your dust shield if you cut a 3" hole in them to slide this brake duct in place and just bolt both up. The only difference I could see with running different brakes is the amount of air you would have running to the center of the rotor as I don't think the rotor hat on the stock brakes is as big (diameter wise) as the trophy rotors.

Planning on installing Turner Motorsports rack stops to help with tire rubbing on the hose. My car is track only so it's not a huge issue just when maneuvering around the paddock and loading and unloading the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #63
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZANIDO777 View Post
Sure, I purchased some universal brake ducts from Allstar performance, made a template out of cardboard with the inlet as close to the center as possible making sure I can still use the existing holes on the wheel carrier to mount the brake ducts and then I cut using a dremel and mounted.

Brakes are Stop tech Trophy which won't affect your mounting and you could also retain your dust shield if you cut a 3" hole in them to slide this brake duct in place and just bolt both up. The only difference I could see with running different brakes is the amount of air you would have running to the center of the rotor as I don't think the rotor hat on the stock brakes is as big (diameter wise) as the trophy rotors.

Planning on installing Turner Motorsports rack stops to help with tire rubbing on the hose. My car is track only so it's not a huge issue just when maneuvering around the paddock and loading and unloading the car.

Thanks. For future reference and others that may come across this thread, are these the model numbers? ALL42117 and ALL42116?

Link: https://www.summitracing.com/search/...-style/spindle
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #64
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
60
Rep
510
Posts

Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW F15 X5  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZANIDO777 View Post
Sure, I purchased some universal brake ducts from Allstar performance, made a template out of cardboard with the inlet as close to the center as possible making sure I can still use the existing holes on the wheel carrier to mount the brake ducts and then I cut using a dremel and mounted.

Brakes are Stop tech Trophy which won't affect your mounting and you could also retain your dust shield if you cut a 3" hole in them to slide this brake duct in place and just bolt both up. The only difference I could see with running different brakes is the amount of air you would have running to the center of the rotor as I don't think the rotor hat on the stock brakes is as big (diameter wise) as the trophy rotors.

Planning on installing Turner Motorsports rack stops to help with tire rubbing on the hose. My car is track only so it's not a huge issue just when maneuvering around the paddock and loading and unloading the car.

Thanks. For future reference and others that may come across this thread, are these the model numbers? ALL42117 and ALL42116?

Link: https://www.summitracing.com/search/...-style/spindle
Correct, there is a left and a right hand side so you need one of each.
Appreciate 1
WhatsADSM216.00

      02-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #65
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
390
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Awesome. Please post up pictures of your final install when you have time. Would be great to see another setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #66
davidwarren
Captain
davidwarren's Avatar
167
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisville, ky

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
Mine? So far so good. I only run the ducting while on track. The tire rubs the ducting with some steering angle. Getting ready to hit Road Atlanta in March, so they better still work! Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Thanks for the update
Did Road Atlanta last weekend and did not have any brake issues at all. Ran new PFC08s with Castrol SRF and freshly rebuilt caliper seals and boots. Never had a problem hauling down from 130+ on the back straight away into 10a!
__________________
2010 335i e90 Le Mans Blue/Chestnut Brown | M-Sport | 6MT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST