BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Are you interested in a rebuild kit??
Yes! and I'd like to be in the initial group buy 22 40.74%
I am, but I'd like to know how they perform first 21 38.89%
Not right now, but I could be in the future 9 16.67%
No way jose! 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

06-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

I'll stick with Turner and Dieselboost. Don't need to up any ante here. Something known to work is all I am asking for. RB's cracking rotors (not to mention being pricey), and their up selling tone doesn't instill much confidence for me.

Anybody able to mass produce those Dieselboost adapters yet? Maybe we should ask Turner for this also since they are able to create those piston repair kits
      06-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

My only thing is the Dieselboost adapters are untested...plus nobody here in the US can seem to get some. If copy or no copy, they're just adapters which is something that they're going to make. RB isn't trying to upsell anything, he's just offering parts for us to be able to buy...don't have to get them all. Just giving us options, the more we have the better and cheaper stuff will become.
      06-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #25
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

The thing about Dieselboost is we know at least that they fit. And 345mm 2 piece at $500. I can't complain. With proper piston, pad and fluid, I think this should be enough for a lot of us.

Only gripe is availability. I thought someone got an extra set and was gonna help in seeing if there'd be some place that can mass produce them a little?
      06-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #26
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

It seems lots of other BMW owners of other models are trying the same formula. 345mm Z4M rotors with 135i callipers

Z3M: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...6548&start=150
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0&postcount=11

Z4: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36327

When are the 135i owners, who get a head start on the calipers, gonna get a piece of this action?
      06-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #27
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The only thing I've heard about those rotors is that the metal is a bit soft and not really up to seriously track abuse unless you're willing to replace rotors every other event...
      06-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #28
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

I have the dieselboost adapters. I will do a write-up/review in a week or so, still trying to workout a couple issues with my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #29
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Seems a company called Speed Religion had a kit for the 345mm rotors to go with the 135i calipers to be fitted on a e46 M3. Speed Religion have since folded tho however.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ht=performance

Is the 345mm x 28mm rotors softer than our stock rotors then? Basically, are they going to be worse than our stock rotors? Shouldn't there be some aftermarket replacement for the M3 CSL/Z4M rotors also?

I guess there isn't that many proven choices out there. It's either sticking with our 338mm x 26mm size and go for RB/ECS rotors, or even stock.... or go 345x28. I know there are a lot of ideas like fitting various Porsche parts to our cars. However given the difficulty in making even the some what proven 345x28 be widely available, I highly doubt a Porsche part type option will be readily available, if it's going to work at all.

I know ECS tuning had a kit for the E46 which includes adapters to work with the 135i calipers, so they have some adapter mass manufacturing capacity? Perhaps we can go to them and see if they are willing to replicate the Dieselboost adapters, given we can organize a group buy of a reasonable size?
      06-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I seriously need to visit the 1er forums more lol! I'm totally down to do this. This sounds awesome. I do have a question though. What impact will the larger diameter rotor have on brake balance. I seems that this setup has too much front bias already. Has anyone looked into changing the bias for these cars? They are electronically controlled so maybe engine tuners can mess with it.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #31
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Seems a company called Speed Religion had a kit for the 345mm rotors to go with the 135i calipers to be fitted on a e46 M3. Speed Religion have since folded tho however.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ht=performance

Is the 345mm x 28mm rotors softer than our stock rotors then? Basically, are they going to be worse than our stock rotors? Shouldn't there be some aftermarket replacement for the M3 CSL/Z4M rotors also?

I guess there isn't that many proven choices out there. It's either sticking with our 338mm x 26mm size and go for RB/ECS rotors, or even stock.... or go 345x28. I know there are a lot of ideas like fitting various Porsche parts to our cars. However given the difficulty in making even the some what proven 345x28 be widely available, I highly doubt a Porsche part type option will be readily available, if it's going to work at all.

I know ECS tuning had a kit for the E46 which includes adapters to work with the 135i calipers, so they have some adapter mass manufacturing capacity? Perhaps we can go to them and see if they are willing to replicate the Dieselboost adapters, given we can organize a group buy of a reasonable size?
Most machine shops that have automotive experience have probably made caliper brackets. All you have to do is get the rotor you want to use (I think Dieselboost uses the E46 M3 Competition Package rotor) and the shop will measure it all out for you. At least this is what I've been told by one of my friends who's building a Porsche 944 track car with a lot of custom fabricated parts.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #32
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I should be getting stuff in 2-3 weeks...excited
      07-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #33
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
I should be getting stuff in 2-3 weeks...excited
What are you getting? Steel pistons and new dust seals?

I haven't heard of anyone having issues after they installed metal pistons. But I don't understand the problems with uneven piston pressure and why metal pistons would fix that, unless the cause is really bad quality control on the ceramic pistons.

Anyway, I hope it works out and for a reasonable price. I still have some 135i DTC-70s waiting for someone who can use them.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #34
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
subscribed to see the outcome and interested as i do beat on my brakes out here.
      07-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #35
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
What are you getting? Steel pistons and new dust seals?

I haven't heard of anyone having issues after they installed metal pistons. But I don't understand the problems with uneven piston pressure and why metal pistons would fix that, unless the cause is really bad quality control on the ceramic pistons.

Anyway, I hope it works out and for a reasonable price. I still have some 135i DTC-70s waiting for someone who can use them.
Gary I'm getting the pistons, dust seals, newer larger rotors, brackets and some pads. I'll prob take those dt70's off your hands though when i wear through the set i have now
      07-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #36
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Gary I'm getting the pistons, dust seals, newer larger rotors, brackets and some pads. I'll prob take those dt70's off your hands though when i wear through the set i have now
Could you post some pics of the kit when you recieve it?
      07-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #37
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'll have pictures of everything once I get it all
      07-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #38
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Some updates from Warren:
Following options will be offered:
1. OE caliper BBK package - Two big rotors 350x28 & Caliper adaptor, brake pad & brake line.
2. Caliper rebuild/upgrade components - Stainless steel pistons, seal and boot.
3. RB caliper BBK - 360x30 rotor (same as M3) .
I have also ordered a spindle for 135i in order to assure the final fitment. So all these design, mfg/sourcing, assembly and fitment test etc. really take time although is getting closer.

I know enthusiasts are most anxious to know "when" "how much" than the progress/status, although it's fine to share with them for the proposed solutions as long as they understand that they are not quite ready yet, with further development to be released through you (e.g. two piece big rotors probably next week), and allow us the time required to make and fine tune the parts before officially released.
Thanks
p.s. We currently have two other BMW brake projects (E90):
M3 Aluminum caliper upgrade
335i stock size caliper kit or upgrade to F30 (370mm)
      07-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #39
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

how about a bracket and larger rotor for the back with appropriate balance too? or even a matching upgraded OEM-size rear rotor?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #40
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
how about a bracket and larger rotor for the back with appropriate balance too? or even a matching upgraded OEM-size rear rotor?
That's a good possibility for a future product for us. I'm pretty sure though before Warren is willing to invest in developing that for us he wants to see how well what's currently being made will do. If things go well for the rest of the year though we might be able to get something like that out for next spring/summer
      07-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #41
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's a good possibility for a future product for us. I'm pretty sure though before Warren is willing to invest in developing that for us he wants to see how well what's currently being made will do. If things go well for the rest of the year though we might be able to get something like that out for next spring/summer
i understand his reasoning for the rollout of the product, but unfortunately i'd only consider it as a full set front and rear. i just hope there's enough interest in stage 1 for it to get to the rear application quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #42
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
i understand his reasoning for the rollout of the product, but unfortunately i'd only consider it as a full set front and rear. i just hope there's enough interest in stage 1 for it to get to the rear application quickly.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #43
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
The last time RB said anything about rear brakes, there was a little snag:

Quote:
Before we start this rear two piece rotor development I want you to know that the brake pad needs to be modified to fit the two piece rotor.

The maximum allowable rotor ring friction width, with a drum dia of 185mm and disc dia of 322mm, is 49mm for pad height, while OE is 53mm, so it requires to trim the pad height to match with the disc surface to avoid the overhung. The pad will be 4mmm narrower but still has a lot of friction material.

This is a similar modification like we did for M3 E46 rear two piece, and is the only way to make rear two piece rotor available.

We will make compatible brake pads available for these two piece rotors, but must disclose this deviation so that you are aware of it before committing to pre-orders.

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showpo...8&postcount=57
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #44
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Before we start this rear two piece rotor development I want you to know that the brake pad needs to be modified to fit the two piece rotor.

The maximum allowable rotor ring friction width, with a drum dia of 185mm and disc dia of 322mm, is 49mm for pad height, while OE is 53mm, so it requires to trim the pad height to match with the disc surface to avoid the overhung. The pad will be 4mmm narrower but still has a lot of friction material.

This is a similar modification like we did for M3 E46 rear two piece, and is the only way to make rear two piece rotor available.

We will make compatible brake pads available for these two piece rotors, but must disclose this deviation so that you are aware of it before committing to pre-orders.

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showpo...8&postcount=57
this is really just an internal issue though... they're saying that the diameter of their existing hats is too large to use a ring with oem sweep in the caliper's original position. i'd be much happier to pay the extra bucks for an adapter that moves the rear caliper to adjust for the appropriate brake bias, and simultaneously allows a ring of a height that can use the entire oem pad's footprint (and therefore have the full range of over-the-counter pads already available unmodified). honestly, modifying the pads to accomodate this issue seems bass ackwards to me. it would be way more logical to just move the caliper and kill three birds with one stone.

it's a little frustrating that so much "development" has to go into this. VAC, a lovely shop in philly offered to make me custom brackets to move the calipers to fit whatever rotors i chose (obviously within the dimensional capabilities of the oem calipers). they even offered to also make custom hats which would slightly modify my wheel offsets so i wouldn't need spacers anymore. all at their totally reasonable standard machine shop hourly rate. maybe the reason why this still hasnt happened is that rb only has its eye on mass production while the machine shop on the corner is able to accomplish the same thing this weekend for a few hundy plus the cost of new rotors.

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 07-19-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0