BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Buying a 135 relatively soon. good price/plan/suggestions?

Hi guys,

Looking to buy my first BMW (Looking at a 2011 135i) pretty soon. (within the next 2 weeks) This is most likely going to be a low mileage car. (5-7k miles a year)

Been looking at one from a independent dealership that only sells auctioned leased cars. The dealership has a decent reputation but still got a few negative reviews on problems not being told before they bought the car and etc.

The car: (I'm just copy and pasting and editing, sorry for caps)

2011 BMW 135i Coupe
$26,450
43,720 Miles (probably closer to 44000 now)
Still within warranty. Still have about 7 months/6000 miles of warranty left

M-SPORT PKG
NAVIGATION
PREMIUM PKG
DOUBLE CLUTCH AUTOMATIC
COMFORT ACCESS
ADPATIVE XENON LIGHTS
HARMON KARDON SOUND
FACTORY ALARM SYSTEM
M-SPORT SUSPENSION
M-SPORT STEERING WHEEL WITH PADDLE SHIFTERS
SATELLITE RADIO
PARK DISTANCE CONTROL
LEATHER SPORT SEATS BLACK WITH RED COMBO
BMW WARRANTY & MAINTENANCE
CLEAN CARFAX ONE OWNER

Went in for a test drive last week and it drives great. But the car has been sitting in the lot for a LONG time. They got it back in like november/december and not much interest has been shown in the car so it hasn't even been started for a while (so I suspect the engine tubing/belts are degraded for a good bit since the weather in seattle lol) Hell. The car didn't even start initially. The engine had to crank for like 5-10 seconds before it started. There's rust spots on the rotors (but the brakes didn't feel anything out of the ordinary)

The carfax is clean (but not that accurate at times so definitely doing a PPI) and shows that it's from California so maybe a little of the sea salt that might have caused some corrosion on the car.

Basically planning on walking in and paying with cash. I would ask them if it's ok to take it for a pre-purchase inspection, set-up a appointment for a pre-purchase inspection at a local BMW shop, and then go in talking about pricing for purchase that day.

I looked online for problems and pretty much the only problems I can find is engine/seatbelt rattle, the HPFP (since they apparently didn't change it much from the N54 HPFP and that's basically been recalled/warranty extended)

I was looking at their warranty and it's not too bad. it's around $2700 for 5 years/50k miles and covers everything except the "high tech" which I assume is basically the navigation/radio/speakers and stuff. (And $3300 for the "platinum" package which covers everything and rental cars when it's in the shop)

I am gonna offer $25,500-26,000 cash straight up (+ tax) for the car if the PPI came back semi-clean. (around $500-700 of repairs within the next year or two not covered under warranty if not, then i'll make a offer $25,000 + their 5 year warranty or get it at a local bmw dealership.)

Any recommendations would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
seems like a solid deal. does it come with the full service history?

what do you mean with leather sport seats with black and red combo? I thought they were all black except for the black/orange on the 1M and the black with blue stitching on the 135is.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
seems like a solid deal. does it come with the full service history?

what do you mean with leather sport seats with black and red combo? I thought they were all black except for the black/orange on the 1M and the black with blue stitching on the 135is.
sorry. forgot to link the Autotrader link.

And no service history at all on carfax (in the autotrader link). The car was originally a lease car in California though. I would assume that owners of lease cars would ride it hard but at least take it into the shop for service and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I assume he is referring to just your typical coral red interior since the doors are split with some red panels, some black ones, and dash is still black. Here's an example from the 135is I test drove almost exactly 1 year ago:

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhurtalot View Post

And no service history at all on carfax (in the autotrader link). The car was originally a lease car in California though. I would assume that owners of lease cars would ride it hard but at least take it into the shop for service and stuff.
looks good!

you can still ask the dealer if they have any service history to make sure it was maintained according to schedule OR better than schedule.....at the very least.....if possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I assume he is referring to just your typical coral red interior since the doors are split with some red panels, some black ones, and dash is still black. Here's an example from the 135is I test drove almost exactly 1 year ago:

ah i get it. for some reason i was thinking he was referring to stitching!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhurtalot View Post

You know what you might want to try potentially for a service history - you might be able to take the key (if they'll let you or do for you) and have it run on the computer system at a BMW dealer. They're able to pull all sorts of information about the car, its service history (at a dealer), etc. etc. just from their machine that reads the keys. I saw all the info they pulled on my car and it only had 3500 miles on it and 1 service, yet they pulled 5-6 pages of info including when it will be due for all services, even the replacement radiator done on the car before I took delivery.

So, if you can't get a dealer to print that up using the vin, perhaps that might work to get more info.

Edit - looking at the carfax now. I can guarantee you, if it was sold in Camarillo, it was almost certainly serviced at Steve Thomas BMW as that's the only BMW dealer within like 30 miles of there. You might even be able to call them or contact them on here as golfrrrr or something like that is a forum sponsor and works there.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
You know what you might want to try potentially for a service history - you might be able to take the key (if they'll let you or do for you) and have it run on the computer system at a BMW dealer. They're able to pull all sorts of information about the car, its service history (at a dealer), etc. etc. just from their machine that reads the keys. I saw all the info they pulled on my car and it only had 3500 miles on it and 1 service, yet they pulled 5-6 pages of info including when it will be due for all services, even the replacement radiator done on the car before I took delivery.

So, if you can't get a dealer to print that up using the vin, perhaps that might work to get more info.

Edit - looking at the carfax now. I can guarantee you, if it was sold in Camarillo, it was almost certainly serviced at Steve Thomas BMW as that's the only BMW dealer within like 30 miles of there. You might even be able to call them or contact them on here as golfrrrr or something like that is a forum sponsor and works there.
thanks for the tip. I'll definitely call them up tomorrow and ask about the service record. otherwise I'll just head down to the local BMW dealership and ask them to pull up the service record.

Edit: called them up and they said it was sold through Rusnak bmw @ Westlake village

Edit 2: called Rusnak BMW and got confirmation with regular maintenance and oil changes and etc. only thing of note is brakes were changed at 22k miles and rear brakes at 27k miles. so those will need replacing soon.

Last edited by killerhurtalot; 01-29-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Whatever you decide , dont buy the third party warranty, buy a gold coverage from bmw dealer, get the quotes before the factory warranty runs out
      02-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Great options list. If it is in good shape inside and out, I'd buy it. When I was looking for mine, I didn't think I actually wanted Comfort Access or PDC, but I've found those to be two of my favorites over time. Only option I wish mine had was H/K, as that is a nice upgrade over the stock unit.

The reason it has sat there for so long is demand for the 1-er is low. Do what I did and use it to your advantage. Mine sat in downtown SF with only 6K miles on it for a good four months before I bought it. I paid just a few hundred bucks more out the door than what they were advertising the car for pre-TTL, and I wasn't paying full cash at the time.

If you are paying cash, I'd think you should be able to knock them down at least a couple grand, especially given the miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba83 View Post
Whatever you decide , dont buy the third party warranty, buy a gold coverage from bmw dealer, get the quotes before the factory warranty runs out
Man.... I got quoted for 3.4k and 4k for the 3 year 70k warranty... That seems so overpriced...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Great options list. If it is in good shape inside and out, I'd buy it. When I was looking for mine, I didn't think I actually wanted Comfort Access or PDC, but I've found those to be two of my favorites over time. Only option I wish mine had was H/K, as that is a nice upgrade over the stock unit.

The reason it has sat there for so long is demand for the 1-er is low. Do what I did and use it to your advantage. Mine sat in downtown SF with only 6K miles on it for a good four months before I bought it. I paid just a few hundred bucks more out the door than what they were advertising the car for pre-TTL, and I wasn't paying full cash at the time.

If you are paying cash, I'd think you should be able to knock them down at least a couple grand, especially given the miles on it.
Ya. They recently dropped their price by $500 again. I think I might just wait it out for a couple weeks/a month and let it sit there a while longer.

And I'm thinking that I don't need the warranty anymore since it's going to be a pretty low mileage car (under 6-7k miles a year). I guess I'll find out after the PPI.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #13
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well. The car got bought. (cause I was stupid and didn't put down a deposit)

Looking for another one now :/
Appreciate 0