BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #419
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Justin@ADVAN Performance's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
666
Posts

Drives: N54 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Justin, is there any reports from the discussions with Peter regarding 1M cooling? Especially following Zuzu's visit.

Thanks.
Hey mate,

I had a good look the front bar of Joe's 1M last week, based on what I saw we really need to have a 1M up on the hoist with the FR wheel arch splash liner removed, before we could make any conclusions regarding fitment of our oil cooler kits.

However I am told Joe has a mate who also has a 1M and he has purchased an oil cooler kit for his car. Now I do not know anything about the kit itself, but he wants Advan to install it, so that does give us the opportunity to confirm what revisions we would have to make to our kits to ensure they're 1M friendly.

Apparently the car will be at the workshop within the next 2 weeks, so we should have some solid info on fitment shortly.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #420
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Justin@ADVAN Performance's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
666
Posts

Drives: N54 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Justin, I'm still waiting for photos of the Stage 2 kit, and it's mainly the custom fabricated bracket I'm interested in. I like to see/know what I'm buying before I pay. Also I assume you mean this pricing revision applies to anyone purchasing after the GB?
Hey Vinney,

here are some nice pics of the Stage 1 kit Tim has now received.

They show our custom mounting bracket quite well, but if you would like to see some more pics of the bracket at different angles, I can certainly do that.

However we will not be purchasing the components for any further kits until payment is made in full.

Truth be told given our unforeseen increase in component costs, the GB pricing is more or less our cost price.

Further more Peter has been somewhat unimpressed by the end result, with only two people making payment on the GB he does not wish to conduct any group buys in the future.

That being said if you still wish to purchase the Stage 2 oil cooler kit, we will honour the previously advertised price of $1,000. But payment in full will be required before we order the necessary components and begin assembling the kit.

Cheers,

Justin.
Attached Images
      
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #421
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
TimMc's Avatar
Australia
36
Rep
1,874
Posts

Drives: 135i SCT N54
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

That looks like everything I received. It all looks of high quality & was very well packaged. I'll be giving Peter a call over the next few days to ask him for tips on fitment, including;
  1. Approximate torque values?
  2. As per the pics I only received one bolt, but two sets of nuts & washers. Is this right (am I reusing one already on the car?) or should I have received two to mount the bracket?
  3. Do I need to prime the cooler/hoses once installed or does the pump do all the work and flush out the air?
  4. Should I run the new hoses approximately over the same path as the existing ones?
  5. Where should the split corrugated hose be used?
  6. Where should the small blue hose be used?
  7. Is any cutting of the wheel arch liner or front area required?
Thanks again.

PS, nice laser cutting of "ADVAN" on the bracket. Pity they can't do the centre of the "D"
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #422
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
TimMc's Avatar
Australia
36
Rep
1,874
Posts

Drives: 135i SCT N54
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I did some reading up on this kit also, and it seems coding is required for this kit, although it's meant to be included. Also, it seems new brake ducts are also required and it's designed to work with the Performance bumper only, although I can't see why it wouldn't work with the standard M Sport bumper though

I'm keen to see how it pans out and then possibly look at getting something custom made up.
New coding is required if you want the new high power tune. This comes with the kit but has already been used/taken out of my kit. We're not sure if the coding affects the operation of the new 850w fan.

This works with our M Sport bumpers with the additional duct kit. In fact our bumpers require the least additional bits of all the N54 fitments. These are the extra bits I think we need.
51742157684 Air duct (1 of)
11122163613 Auxiliary cable for Power Kit RHD (1 of)
67618370818 Rubber Mounting M6X10 (2 of)

O.T.
Hey Vinney, with your stud kit, will a standard/impact socket fit over the nuts or are the studs too long? Are yours 75mm studs from Turner Motor-sport?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #423
BMW86
Major General
Australia
321
Rep
9,169
Posts

Drives: CLA45 AMG Macan S
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
That looks like everything I received. It all looks of high quality & was very well packaged. I'll be giving Peter a call over the next few days to ask him for tips on fitment, including;
  1. Approximate torque values?
  2. As per the pics I only received one bolt, but two sets of nuts & washers. Is this right (am I reusing one already on the car?) or should I have received two to mount the bracket?
  3. Do I need to prime the cooler/hoses once installed or does the pump do all the work and flush out the air?
  4. Should I run the new hoses approximately over the same path as the existing ones?
  5. Where should the split corrugated hose be used?
  6. Where should the small blue hose be used?
  7. Is any cutting of the wheel arch liner or front area required?
Thanks again.

PS, nice laser cutting of "ADVAN" on the bracket. Pity they can't do the centre of the "D"
+ 1 on all of these questions. It would be nice if you guys could put together a DIY for us. Some of the questions Tim put forward didn't even cross my mind so I'm glad he's put it out there.

I'm personally not a fan of the laser cutting, would much rather prefer some kind of stamp engraving as it looks a lot cleaner, plus it might have brought the cost of the kit down a bit too! Seems a bit unnecessary to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
New coding is required if you want the new high power tune. This comes with the kit but has already been used/taken out of my kit. We're not sure if the coding affects the operation of the new 850w fan.

This works with our M Sport bumpers with the additional duct kit. In fact our bumpers require the least additional bits of all the N54 fitments. These are the extra bits I think we need.
51742157684 Air duct (1 of)
11122163613 Auxiliary cable for Power Kit RHD (1 of)
67618370818 Rubber Mounting M6X10 (2 of)

O.T.
Hey Vinney, with your stud kit, will a standard/impact socket fit over the nuts or are the studs too long? Are yours 75mm studs from Turner Motor-sport?
Actually that makes more sense that the coding is for the tune. If I can find the links I found the other day I'll post them up here. Yes I'm using the TM 75mm studs, so far so good. I'm also using a 17mm socket wrapped in a rubber/silicon sleeve that I picked up from SCA with my impact. Changing wheels/bolts has never been easier
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #424
BMW86
Major General
Australia
321
Rep
9,169
Posts

Drives: CLA45 AMG Macan S
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Btw, Peter and Justin - I sent you both a PM today about fixing up payment today.

Keen as mustard to get this on my car already.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #425
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
40
Rep
1,793
Posts

Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey mate,

I had a good look the front bar of Joe's 1M last week, based on what I saw we really need to have a 1M up on the hoist with the FR wheel arch splash liner removed, before we could make any conclusions regarding fitment of our oil cooler kits.

However I am told Joe has a mate who also has a 1M and he has purchased an oil cooler kit for his car. Now I do not know anything about the kit itself, but he wants Advan to install it, so that does give us the opportunity to confirm what revisions we would have to make to our kits to ensure they're 1M friendly.

Apparently the car will be at the workshop within the next 2 weeks, so we should have some solid info on fitment shortly.
Hey Justin,

This is excellent news mate. Really happy to hear it.

Looking forward to some news on this and seeing if we can get something going.

I had a track day this weekend and the ambient was far cooler than normal and the temps were still on the high side during the short stints I did.

Thank you again for all your help on this.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #426
BMW86
Major General
Australia
321
Rep
9,169
Posts

Drives: CLA45 AMG Macan S
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Hey Justin,

This is excellent news mate. Really happy to hear it.

Looking forward to some news on this and seeing if we can get something going.

I had a track day this weekend and the ambient was far cooler than normal and the temps were still on the high side during the short stints I did.

Thank you again for all your help on this.
Let's hope it all works out. I have a feeling there won't be any issues because I'd think there is more room in there due the widebody. If anything, you could fit an extra extra wide core
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #427
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
40
Rep
1,793
Posts

Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Let's hope it all works out. I have a feeling there won't be any issues because I'd think there is more room in there due the widebody. If anything, you could fit an extra extra wide core
Let's hope mate. It gets me so frustrated when the temps start climbing just when I'm starting to enjoy myself!

I love the theory behind BMW's system, it just needs to be a more larger/efficient and it'll all be hunky dory!

Having a thermostat that'll open the cooling flood gates earlier will no doubt help also!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #428
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Justin@ADVAN Performance's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
666
Posts

Drives: N54 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
That looks like everything I received. It all looks of high quality & was very well packaged. I'll be giving Peter a call over the next few days to ask him for tips on fitment, including;
  1. Approximate torque values?
  2. As per the pics I only received one bolt, but two sets of nuts & washers. Is this right (am I reusing one already on the car?) or should I have received two to mount the bracket?
  3. Do I need to prime the cooler/hoses once installed or does the pump do all the work and flush out the air?
  4. Should I run the new hoses approximately over the same path as the existing ones?
  5. Where should the split corrugated hose be used?
  6. Where should the small blue hose be used?
  7. Is any cutting of the wheel arch liner or front area required?
Thanks again.

PS, nice laser cutting of "ADVAN" on the bracket. Pity they can't do the centre of the "D"
Hey Tim,

in response to your questions.

1. A torque wrench is not required when tensioning the hose ends or fittings. Be firm but do not be hanging off the end of the spanner or shifter.

2. The one bolt with washer secures the -10 AN oil filter housing adapter to the underside of the OE housing, only one bolt is required. The 2 x washers & nut fasten the mounting bracket to the two OE threaded studs, that you will clearly see once the OE cooler is removed.

3. There is no need to prime the cooler or hoses with oil.

4. I will post up some pics showing the hose path, when looking down into the engine bay from above and when looking side on at the exposed mounting bracket, cooler etc.

5. If you have enough split corrugated hose, cover both lengths of the Earl's nylon braided hose from the 45 degree hose end to the 90 degree hose end. If not the line that runs adjacent to the thermatic fan cowling is a must, as is the point where both lines snake over and down past the mounting bracket.

6. The small blue hose allows for an extension of the fluid line to the headlight washer. Peter can explain that in further detail.

7. Yes, trimming of some plastic cowling and duct work is required, but it's minimal. Once again please speak to Pete regarding the exact details.

Yep,

I was very happy with how the laser cut bracket turned out. It's quite a solid unit and it looks kinda' cool too.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 05-14-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #429
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Justin@ADVAN Performance's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
666
Posts

Drives: N54 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Btw, Peter and Justin - I sent you both a PM today about fixing up payment today.

Keen as mustard to get this on my car already.
PM received and responded to.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #430
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Justin@ADVAN Performance's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
666
Posts

Drives: N54 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Hey Justin,

This is excellent news mate. Really happy to hear it.

Looking forward to some news on this and seeing if we can get something going.

I had a track day this weekend and the ambient was far cooler than normal and the temps were still on the high side during the short stints I did.

Thank you again for all your help on this.
Hey mate,

that's ok, no problem at all.

I am just crossing my fingers that our existing mounting bracket, places the 20 row cooler relative to the front bar and RHS duct work, in an ideal position.

I am hoping significant trimming of the OE 1M duct will be all that is required, but things are often more complicated than first thought.

Anyway we will know soon enough, I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #431
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
40
Rep
1,793
Posts

Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Things are often more complicated than first thought.
Thanks JD. This is what I'm afraid of!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #432
BMW86
Major General
Australia
321
Rep
9,169
Posts

Drives: CLA45 AMG Macan S
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

PAID!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #433
Kiwi Peter
Kiwi Peter's Avatar
New Zealand
105
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
PAID!!
Thank you all good
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #434
BMW86
Major General
Australia
321
Rep
9,169
Posts

Drives: CLA45 AMG Macan S
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Thank you all good
Thanks for answering all my questions Peter. I will post a review after it's installed and give it a good run at the next track day. I am also interested in the E82 AT transmission cooler we spoke about today
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #435
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Justin@ADVAN Performance's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
666
Posts

Drives: N54 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
PAID!!
Hey Vinney,

thank you for your payment and apologies for the delay, in getting the Stage 2 kit out to you.

Hang in there mate, the kit will be on the way to you early in the week.

After personally picking up all the Aeroflow compoents on Saturday morning, I can tell you that you will be most pleased by the revisions we have made to our oil cooler kits.

The Aeroflow 550 Series "Full-Flow" hose ends are very nice indeed.

Pete considers them to be competition spec and a nice upgrade over the Earl's fittings we were previously using.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #436
BMW86
Major General
Australia
321
Rep
9,169
Posts

Drives: CLA45 AMG Macan S
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey Vinney,

thank you for your payment and apologies for the delay, in getting the Stage 2 kit out to you.

Hang in there mate, the kit will be on the way to you early in the week.

After personally picking up all the Aeroflow compoents on Saturday morning, I can tell you that you will be most pleased by the revisions we have made to our oil cooler kits.

The Aeroflow 550 Series "Full-Flow" hose ends are very nice indeed.

Pete considers them to be competition spec and a nice upgrade over the Earl's fittings we were previously using.

Cheers,

JD.
Any updates Justin? I was told I'd have it by last Friday. Looking forward to photos of the installation.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #437
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Justin@ADVAN Performance's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
666
Posts

Drives: N54 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Any updates Justin? I was told I'd have it by last Friday. Looking forward to photos of the installation.
Hi Vinney,

here you go, I hope you enjoy the pics of your Stage 2 oil cooler kit

Peter will be shipping the kit out to you later today.

Truth be told I was more than just a little reluctant to let Pete remove the kit from my car, to reinstall our Stage 1 prototype kit.

Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images
             

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 05-29-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #438
BMW86
Major General
Australia
321
Rep
9,169
Posts

Drives: CLA45 AMG Macan S
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

This is great news Justin. It looks clean!! No pics with the bumper fitted back up? I hope there is enough room under the core itself as I know it will be a very tight fit.

I'm really keen to get this fitted up before the track day next week! If possible can you put together some instructions for me before the weekend?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #439
Kiwi Peter
Kiwi Peter's Avatar
New Zealand
105
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

time for the box

Here it is the completed stage 2 oil cooler kit for the 135.
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #440
BMW86
Major General
Australia
321
Rep
9,169
Posts

Drives: CLA45 AMG Macan S
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Looks quality. Getting excited now
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST