05-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #23
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrahams View Post
David is very fast (local here in Florida)... how do you all feel going against the M2?
We have won against the M2 last year. The M2 is undeveloped compared to my 1M. When someone puts the time in to develop a M2 it's got to be faster.

My car won the pro in 2017 and SCCA Nats In 2018. We are the old boxing champ that someone has to beat. Until then we are still the reigning defending fastest car in b street
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1206.00
      05-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #24
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

There's another 1M competing in B Street in the Finger Lakes Region this weekend, we'll see how they do but it looks like some tough competition up there.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #25
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
There's another 1M competing in B Street in the Finger Lakes Region this weekend, we'll see how they do but it looks like some tough competition up there.
I'm guessing that is Matt. Matt's car is running mostly what was sorted out back in the 2013ish. Think he has some 18 inch wheels. Probably cost about 5k to buy the parts and user our setup.

With the Tesla entering the class, probably not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #26
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

10 hours later. Almost to Lincoln
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #27
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

We are close
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #28
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Headed back from the racing and got in an m2 today. Much faster car than the 1m. We are shopping right now.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #29
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Mid-year thoughts

Texas Tour the 1M was 1st and 3rd and paxed 3rd and 38th over all. It was cold and can’t remember if it was raining.

MS Pro was a wakeup call in the super wet we were 2nd and 3rd and in the drying the car was about .5 from 1st on a 60 second total time course.

Lincoln Pro 2nd and 6th but in the challenge the car broke out 2 times.

Testing this year with the 1LE and M2 has produced interesting results. Some tightly controlled and some not. The 1LE put down times that were close to the 1M on the MW practice which is a 30 second course with no power sections.

The M2 in a tightly controlled same tire same everything was 0.7 seconds faster on a 50 second.

I have mixed feeling coming out of this as in 2017 the car won the pro overall and I felt it was the fastest thing running but it only won by like 0.1ish (I did not go back and look). In 2018 at NATs the weather played a big part in the 0.06ish win.

So, the 1M has never just crushed the class and we caught some real breaks in winning the championships.

1M has lost its big advantage at the line in the pro to the Tesla and M2. We are no longer the fastest car to the 1st corner. In driving the M2 we had no real advantage in back and forth nor the sweepy stuff.

So, we are going to build a second car. It will not be here in time for the tx pro but hope to run it in KS in a month.

The 1M is probably going to go up on bring a trailer if anyone wants it, now would be the time to DM me, as I am willing to sell it most of the race parts before I unwrap it and bring it back to stock. I do think it can place in the top 5 at NATS again. It’s a fully sorted and prepped top 10 pax over all machine. 60K with all the parts and log book of knowledge.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #30
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kerry View Post
Mid-year thoughts

Texas Tour the 1M was 1st and 3rd and paxed 3rd and 38th over all. It was cold and can't remember if it was raining.

MS Pro was a wakeup call in the super wet we were 2nd and 3rd and in the drying the car was about .5 from 1st on a 60 second total time course.

Lincoln Pro 2nd and 6th but in the challenge the car broke out 2 times.

Testing this year with the 1LE and M2 has produced interesting results. Some tightly controlled and some not. The 1LE put down times that were close to the 1M on the MW practice which is a 30 second course with no power sections.

The M2 in a tightly controlled same tire same everything was 0.7 seconds faster on a 50 second.

I have mixed feeling coming out of this as in 2017 the car won the pro overall and I felt it was the fastest thing running but it only won by like 0.1ish (I did not go back and look). In 2018 at NATs the weather played a big part in the 0.06ish win.

So, the 1M has never just crushed the class and we caught some real breaks in winning the championships.

1M has lost its big advantage at the line in the pro to the Tesla and M2. We are no longer the fastest car to the 1st corner. In driving the M2 we had no real advantage in back and forth nor the sweepy stuff.

So, we are going to build a second car. It will not be here in time for the tx pro but hope to run it in KS in a month.

The 1M is probably going to go up on bring a trailer if anyone wants it, now would be the time to DM me, as I am willing to sell it most of the race parts before I unwrap it and bring it back to stock. I do think it can place in the top 5 at NATS again. It's a fully sorted and prepped top 10 pax over all machine. 60K with all the parts and log book of knowledge.
Please clarify if your back to back tests were vs M2 or M2 competition.

No surprise the M2 is faster. Back when I had my E30 M3 it was able to be modified to keep up with E36 M3 , but once the mods get equal and were added to the E36M3 the advantages are clear again.

SCCA Is generally brutal for BMWs so it's been awesome to see you guys dedicate time and resources to really making it competitive , much like Chris Conant did with the E30 M3.

While I am really enjoying the 1M, the idea of racing an appreciating asset when you can simply jump to an OG M2 for cheap or even go to an M2C for even money or less shouldn't be ignored.

The OG M2 is a good bargain but from the comments from guys I have spoken to like ilovebmws and 1M Tex that have owned all three cars... the M2 competition has the best potential as a track machine ( while the 1M still remains the favorite overall.

The development of chassis tuning on all of the F8X has been critical. The M4 GTS only scratched the surface of its potential and the ZCP, CS and models have further sharpened the steering, grip and handling. I'm planning on taking advantage of the most fully developed iteration possible and hoping to pick up another legend aka the E30 M3 SPORT EVO, E46 M3 CSL.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #31
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

What parts are on this car available FS.
I'd want to see the CoG of the M2C. The M4 barely weighs more, has established development such as GT4/replica light aero.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #32
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
What parts are on this car available FS.
I'd want to see the CoG of the M2C. The M4 barely weighs more, has established development such as GT4/replica light aero.

JRZ DA
Custom exhaust
Dinan Front bar
20 wheels of different offsets

Most of the secret sauce of the car is in the shock settings and alignment plus the spacing of the wheels. The car is sorted and detailed log books so adjustments are quick and get the most out of the car for surface, weather etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #33
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Please clarify if your back to back tests were vs M2 or M2 competition.

No surprise the M2 is faster. Back when I had my E30 M3 it was able to be modified to keep up with E36 M3 , but once the mods get equal and were added to the E36M3 the advantages are clear again.

SCCA Is generally brutal for BMWs so it's been awesome to see you guys dedicate time and resources to really making it competitive , much like Chris Conant did with the E30 M3.

While I am really enjoying the 1M, the idea of racing an appreciating asset when you can simply jump to an OG M2 for cheap or even go to an M2C for even money or less shouldn't be ignored.

The OG M2 is a good bargain but from the comments from guys I have spoken to like ilovebmws and 1M Tex that have owned all three cars... the M2 competition has the best potential as a track machine ( while the 1M still remains the favorite overall.

The development of chassis tuning on all of the F8X has been critical. The M4 GTS only scratched the surface of its potential and the ZCP, CS and models have further sharpened the steering, grip and handling. I'm planning on taking advantage of the most fully developed iteration possible and hoping to pick up another legend aka the E30 M3 SPORT EVO, E46 M3 CSL.
We ran the M2 and 1M back to back with the RE71's on both. We ran the 1M several passes to set the time and then ran 2 passes with the M2 and we were .7 faster on the 50 second course. You could just tell that the 50% prepped M2 was faster.

My 1M is still a trophy car for a B/B+ at Nationals but for the top 5 spots where the A/A+ drivers are we can't be that far down on car at the line.

At the Texas Pro this weekend we were 1 and 2 in the rain where you have to have setup and 2nd and 7th in the dry.

The new M2 competition package runs in A Street which is a class above us in B Street. We are looking for a M2 and have one we are working a deal on. The M2 has no resale as we are finding 60k cars that are now 40k and been on lots for 20 0 to 300 days.

I'm going to put my car up on bring a trailer while its still a winner. I figure someone that cannot build/sort a car will want it. Jeremy can put the car top 3-5 and a B/B+ driver can finish in the last trophy spots 10-13.

If anyone wants it DM me.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #34
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #35
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Kerry,

Are you willing to share the setup data you have? IE: scan and share?

What sort of wheel list you have?
Any additional springs?

After I asked you about the M2, I’d figured once you saw some more data; the 1M wouldn’t be the car to have.

Mark, (M3adjuster)

I don’t know if you remember me from S14.net, but also met you at the first US F1 race under the CCA tent. Good to see you are still roaming about.
Appreciate 2
gmx166.00
      06-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #36
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrahams View Post
Kerry,

Are you willing to share the setup data you have? IE: scan and share?

What sort of wheel list you have?
Any additional springs?

After I asked you about the M2, I’d figured once you saw some more data; the 1M wouldn’t be the car to have.

Mark, (M3adjuster)

I don’t know if you remember me from S14.net, but also met you at the first US F1 race under the CCA tent. Good to see you are still roaming about.
Yes, I'll post it up later tonight.
Appreciate 1
gmx166.00
      06-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #37
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Kerry -- nice post about attitudes concerning competing in less than optimal conditions. I remember rolling to site for 1st day in 2015, it had poured all night and FS was running first. My co-driver was all bummed out as we head over and I simply told we were going to rule the day. Half of grid was completely freaked over the conditions. We ran in rain for half our events that year, even more this year. When given lemons, make some killer lemonade.
      07-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #38
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I'll post it up later tonight.
Bump
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #39
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Turbos are being replaced. 45k miles
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #40
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bump
the setup on the car as it sits today

front
Dinan front bar on middle setting
zero toe
1.9 chamber
BRZ struts with stock spring perches and springs

rear
stock bar
1.6 chamber
1/16 toe out (the car rotates better this way)
stock springs

stock size wheels running max out spacing in the front and max inboard in the rear

275/285 re71's but we are testing 295/315 yok's

for a stock class car we can dial under or over steer in or out with the spacers and stock settings.

Stock class rules limit things and we have the most testing in the class. We run in Kansas this weekend and we will see if the car has one more win in. Several former national champs in the field in M2's.
Appreciate 1
gmx166.00
      07-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #41
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you! That's valuable information and maybe reinforces a little bit of what I've been feeling.
I've been running a high offset rear wheel unintentionally and a slightly lower front wheel and the balance feels completely fine and actually quite nice.
I've read guys running 265/295 on here struggle with understeer or poor balance. I run the same, although likely not optimal it seems good. For clarification, my alignment is track focused rather than khana/autocross.
Wheels specs are 18x9.5 ET20, 18x10.5 ET30.

Gl in Kansas, hope you can finish on top. Look forward to some videos
Appreciate 1
m3kerry117.00
      07-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #42
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #43
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Bump

front
zero toe
1.9 chamber

rear
stock bar
1.6 chamber
stock springs

stock size wheels running max out spacing in the front and max inboard in the rear

for a stock class car we can dial under or over steer in or out with the spacers and stock settings.

Stock class rules limit things and we have the most testing in the class. We run in Kansas this weekend and we will see if the car has one more win in. Several former national champs in the field in M2's.
How in the world did you get 1.9 camber in the front without camber plates, and hence leaving the stock class? Even removing the alignment pins and pushing all the way in I never would've gotten more than 1.3.

Also, can you comment what issues the turbos had? Were you down on power when you ran your back to back runs with the M2?
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:13 PM   #44
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Bump

front
zero toe
1.9 chamber

rear
stock bar
1.6 chamber
stock springs

How in the world did you get 1.9 camber in the front without camber plates, and hence leaving the stock class? Even removing the alignment pins and pushing all the way in I never would've gotten more than 1.3.

Also, can you comment what issues the turbos had? Were you down on power when you ran your back to back runs with the M2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Bump

front
zero toe
1.9 chamber

rear
stock bar
1.6 chamber
stock springs

Turbo power I think we have been down on power since the pro in 2018 we got 3rd in. No test runs, so the launch at the tree is going to be the real test.

Camber, I thought that was a lot but that is what Texas track works got out of it. It's legal. The car was so picked over after winning the 1st time we have had spacers madero be 14mm rom 15mm to make sure we are in the rules.

We are running 295/315 yok's on the car on stoke widths.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1