05-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #331
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M
the problem with speculators is that the car end up sitting and a sitting car is no good... I suspect the number of people that actually wanted to own the GT4 and drive them is still the majority although with a car like that, it's easy to flip for profit if you have the cash flow (as long as you don't get gouged by the dealer, ahem, I'm looking at the Richmond dealer that sold the M2 with $6K PDI)
The gentleman that sold me my 1M bought two GT4s. One for him and one for his son to race together and they race them. Sooooo cool. Yes a lot of speculators but also some real diehards too although they are the exception not the rule.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #332
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Slight tangent, but I went with the Spyder. 1M is here to stay, and I wanted a vert to compliment it that was more road car focused. It is an unbelievable car with a soundtrack that words can't describe, and I am very pleased with it.

05-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #333
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post
Slight tangent, but I went with the Spyder. 1M is here to stay, and I wanted a vert to compliment it that was more road car focused. It is an unbelievable car with a soundtrack that words can't describe, and I am very pleased with it.

Lovely. Unless its a track car, Spyder>GT4 for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #334
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Anybody that has/had both the 1M and a GT4 (or boxster spyder) care to comment and give some perspective now having had some time in both cars? Would be interested to hear some first hand feedback.
      11-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #335
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

The two are a great compliment. The Gt4 is much more of a pure handling scalpel and track weapon. You really need to rev it out. It's a real attention grabber. The 1m is much more low key as my DD with more practicality and sledgehammer low end torque. The gt4 is a car that can dance on the limit with you both on track and in the real world even with all electronic aids off. The 1m still scares me in a good way with its snap oversteer, and I'll very rarely deactivate all traction control beyond mdm. I love both. A great combo. But, I'd take the gt4 any day over the 1m if my wife told me to sell one. Then again, I'd have to go with the 1m if I could only drive one car all year. Luckily, I don't have this dilemma.
Appreciate 2
GimmeanM1448.50
      11-23-2016, 01:45 AM   #336
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
The two are a great compliment. The Gt4 is much more of a pure handling scalpel and track weapon. You really need to rev it out. It's a real attention grabber. The 1m is much more low key as my DD with more practicality and sledgehammer low end torque. The gt4 is a car that can dance on the limit with you both on track and in the real world even with all electronic aids off. The 1m still scares me in a good way with its snap oversteer, and I'll very rarely deactivate all traction control beyond mdm. I love both. A great combo. But, I'd take the gt4 any day over the 1m if my wife told me to sell one. Then again, I'd have to go with the 1m if I could only drive one car all year. Luckily, I don't have this dilemma.
I'd choose to get rid of the wife if I was ever placed in that dilemma
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2016, 03:40 AM   #337
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

I also have driven the GT4.

Its got a serous track focus feel to it but not as hardcore as I thought on the street. Definitely not the go kart type of feel. Its quite refined for what it is.

The 1M is just as stiff on the suspension but because the GT4 uses rose joint instead of rubber bushes, there is less unwanted movement with the GT4.

Straight line wise the 1M feels more potent and more exciting even though it is slower stock wise. This may be because the GT4 has insanely long gearing with 2nd gear going over 120km+.

Sound wise no contest, GT4 wins out by a big margin.

If you can just have 1 car, go with the 1M because of its practicality and being more fun to drive on the street.
Appreciate 1
GimmeanM1448.50
      11-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #338
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

Its got a serous track focus feel to it but not as hardcore as I thought on the street. Definitely not the go kart type of feel. Its quite refined for what it is.

The 1M is just as stiff on the suspension but because the GT4 uses rose joint instead of rubber bushes, there is less unwanted movement with the GT4.

Straight line wise the 1M feels more potent and more exciting even though it is slower stock wise. This may be because the GT4 has insanely long gearing with 2nd gear going over 120km+.

If you can just have 1 car, go with the 1M because of its practicality and being more fun to drive on the street.
I actually own both cars... and i have to say, the GT4 is amazing but the 1M is more interesting to me. It surprises everyone who sits in it. the GT4 is all about a visceral experience but everyone expects that. tho, it really doesnt disappoint. the 1M is something you can live with and enjoy every day. both are special and feel special. i should do a video review of both.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #339
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
I actually own both cars... and i have to say, the GT4 is amazing but the 1M is more interesting to me. It surprises everyone who sits in it. the GT4 is all about a visceral experience but everyone expects that. tho, it really doesnt disappoint. the 1M is something you can live with and enjoy every day. both are special and feel special. i should do a video review of both.
Yeeeessssssss. Do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #340
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

I own both and prefer the 1M. Such a special car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. GT4 great on the track fantastic noise but for all round road work I like the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 07:13 AM   #341
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
Like many here I have owned both. For me I had wanted to get into road course driving for awhile and the 1M was the car that I began that journey in. I progressed from beginner to intermediate with the car, but I became frustrated with managing turbos and feeling like I was losing time waiting for the turbos to spool coming out of a turn as a result I decided the 1M was a better road car than track car. For me track days is primary hobby so I decided a naturally aspirated engine was the way to go. I had been a fan of the 981 Cayman, but wanted something similar to the 987 Cayman R. The GT4 was that answer. For me still learning the mid engine platform in the gt4 I have been consistently doing my personal bests in the 1M or better the first time out on each track. For me the gt4 is a better suited track car and the 1M is a great daily or weekend driver on some twisty roads.
#446 of 740

Last edited by Splinterz88; 11-28-2016 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #342
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

I wouldn't agree about straight line pull. It depends on what you mean. The gt4 needs to rev up. It is very linear, but pulls hard when in high rev range. The m pulls hard down low and then tapers at the top end. The gt4 kills it in a straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

Appreciate 0