BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
B777flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i carbon black

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
Xenon bi-level headlight question.

I've read a lot of the current threads on similar topics but can't find an answer. For history I did have a passenger side lamp changed due to condensation under warranty. I have recently noticed that my low beams appear to be very low as in only illuminating a very short distance in front of the car. I do not recall this early in my ownership; car was purchased new. There are not any warnings. The cornering all works correctly. My headlights do not do the "little dance" upon turning them on either. I do remember that happening in the past. I tested this in both auto and the normal on position. Does that test eventually stop occurring? Does it sound like this is normal since I have read some complaints about the beam height? I have yet to contact the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

Not normal. Have you had any suspension work done? There are level sensors on the front and rear control arms that work with the auto leveling system. There's only one on one of the front control arms and one on one of the back arms. Can't remember which side. They look like little 2-3" links. If these links or wires are disconnected or damaged, it may not perform the auto-level that you used to note during start up and it will default to full down.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
B777flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horigan View Post
Not normal. Have you had any suspension work done? There are level sensors on the front and rear control arms that work with the auto leveling system. There's only one on one of the front control arms and one on one of the back arms. Can't remember which side. They look like little 2-3" links. If these links or wires are disconnected or damaged, it may not perform the auto-level that you used to note during start up and it will default to full down.
Thanks. I have not had any work done at all. Car is totally stock. I will get this looked at. I thought something seemed different.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Interesting in that it appears you've had a few seemingly unrelated, but common, headlight issues. Condensation rears its head when the notoriously difficult to seal rear headlight cover isn't installed correctly. Usually happens when folks change bulbs or install Angel Eyes and don't fully seat the cover 100%.
The leveling issue, as Horigan mentioned, can happen when a car is lowered or the leveling sensor is damaged or disconnected. Since you say that the cornering function is working and you don't have any errors it sounds like your adaptive motors aren't fried at least. Honestly not sure about the startup procedure stopping.
Since you have a documented case of past headlight issues I would just bring it in and push for a goodwill replacement if your out of warranty.
If they find nothing and the issue doesn't worsen, the headlights can be adjusted quite easily.
Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
B777flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
As a follow up, dealer updated software and fixed issue. Everything works properly. I have noticed more cars seem to flash me assuming my high beams are on. Has anyone had this issue. I do not believe the height screws were touched when the update was done. The lights illuminate very nicely and do not seem that they are aimed too high. They were so low previously for so long I'm not sure I remember how they looked before the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
Stewy_604
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i M-Sport

Maybe have the alignment/height of the beams checked, they could be slightly too high. I get flashed all the time in my X5 and the lights are aligned perfectly. You'd think people would be used to HID's by now!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
B777flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy_604 View Post
Maybe have the alignment/height of the beams checked, they could be slightly too high. I get flashed all the time in my X5 and the lights are aligned perfectly. You'd think people would be used to HID's by now!
Thanks I didn't think they were too high. As far as I'm concerned they were never touched since I received the car new. I guess since I sit so low it appears worse maybe.
Appreciate 0