BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Installed Eibach front sway bar and now have noise and car is bouncy

Hi,

I recently installed an Eibach 28mm front sway bar on my 135i 2008 since I wanted to eliminate the last leaning on corners that I was experiencing after all the suspension mods that I have done before:

Bilstein B8 Dampers & Eibach PRO-KIT Springs, M3 LCAs, M3 RSBs, DINAN fixed front camber plates

But now after the front sway bar install I have a loud knocking noise over bumpy roads that wasn't there before? I read on other threads about sway bars making noise so when I went to the shop I told them beforehand to properly grease the bushings, when I complained about the noise over the phone they assured me they did grease it properly.

On perfect roads the handling is amazing, car feels very tight, no noises, no lean, and the steering is very direct, no understeer. But on bumpy roads the car feels very bouncy up and down like a pogo, it was never like this before. Is this a normal sideffect of having everything stiffer working in conjunction?

Could they have installed it backwards? They told me that when installing apparently the steering rack was very close to the sway bar and they think they could possibly be touching? The noise is driving me crazy and it feels like the car has something broken.

I will go back to the shop this Friday for them to check everything again but I would like to know your comments so I can instruct them better with your experience, thanks.
      08-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Maybe have a look at the sway bar end links. If they are worn that could account for the noise you're hearing.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Clunking is likely from the endlinks. Have a look at those.

Sway bars adds to spring rate when one side is being compressed so you are asking the strut to do a lot more work.
Appreciate 0