BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Steering wheel shake

Hi guys,

I've been having a hard time figuring out that steering wheel shake that plagued me for a long time now.

My steering wheel shake pretty badly from around 60mph to 80mph, slower or faster its barely noticeable.

Things i already checked:

Wheel alignment (car handles absolutly fine and its on train tracks)

Wheel/tire balancing

Warped rotors, no vibrations or brake pedal buzzing upon hard braking even at very high speeds (180mph)

I'm sort of out of ideas, i'm open to suggestions peeps.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Do you have any spacers? Who is installing the wheel onto the hub?
One thing I've tried which seems to have mostly fixed my issue is to clean the surfaces on the wheel/rotor where they mount. For the rotor a wire brush or something can be used.

Then when installing, make sure to evenly tighten each bolt down (by hand or with a hand wrench, no power tools) slowly as you go in a star pattern, before torquing it down to spec.

I had one wheel with pretty noticeable vibration, un-mounted the wheel from the car and took my time to mount everything back and it was gone. I feel like sometimes the shops get lazy and will just mount the wheel, and hit all the bolts with the air gun. The cleaning of the mating surfaces goes that extra tiny bit to make sure you get a good seat.

Ohh and I asked about spacers because sometimes they can amplify any of the above noted issues.
Appreciate 3
asbrr542.00
Traf94.50
      09-30-2020, 04:57 AM   #3
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
One thing I've tried which seems to have mostly fixed my issue is to clean the surfaces on the wheel/rotor where they mount. For the rotor a wire brush or something can be used.

Then when installing, make sure to evenly tighten each bolt down (by hand or with a hand wrench, no power tools) slowly as you go in a star pattern, before torquing it down to spec.

I had one wheel with pretty noticeable vibration, un-mounted the wheel from the car and took my time to mount everything back and it was gone. I feel like sometimes the shops get lazy and will just mount the wheel, and hit all the bolts with the air gun. The cleaning of the mating surfaces goes that extra tiny bit to make sure you get a good seat.

Ohh and I asked about spacers because sometimes they can amplify any of the above noted issues.
Hi,
I do all the work on the car, no spacer whatosever
I'll try cleaning the hub and redoing the tightening.

Thanks bruh
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

I followed your advice, and remove the wheels and put them back in proper.
Still a bit of shake but its much much much better, thanks man !
Appreciate 0