BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2024, 01:46 PM   #1
Finneganistan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135Is

Stereo upgrade options?

Hi All,

I've got a 2013 135Is with standard issue stereo. What sort of options do I have as far as upgrading the audio?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 08:29 PM   #2
K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
I don't know much about upgrading within the OEM/BMW systems, so can't speak to that.

If you are talking aftermarket, though, you can go with a traditional Double-DIN head unit by one of the major brands (Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc.). This will require some rearrangement/modifications to the console - most of these put the HVAC controls above and the head unit below. I don't like this option as it puts the screen too low for my taste for GPS use. You also need to use adapters to maintain your steering wheel controls and I have had mixed success with those - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't and you have to give up the steering wheel functions.

The other option is an Android-based system. These are specific to your car and (usually) install and operate pretty seamlessly, including the steering wheel controls. Some are kind of clunky looking, some are fairly well-integrated and don't scream aftermarket. I put the one from CarNaviPlayer in my 128i and am very satisfied with it:

K9Leader

2010 328i x-Drive, E91 - Space Gray/Black
2011 128i E82 6MT - Crimson Red/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:35 AM   #3
Finneganistan
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you! Are the deficiencies in the stock system caused by the head unit, the amp, or the speakers? Or, some combination? (I clearly know nothing about this stuff)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 12:30 PM   #4
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
The stock speakers are fine, they just need better amplification and proper filters, not just a cheap capacitor.
      03-29-2024, 12:40 PM   #5
Finneganistan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
The stock speakers are fine, they just need better amplification and proper filters, not just a cheap capacitor.
Does this mean that if I could only replace the amp for better sound quality? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 01:13 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

What system do you have, and what is it not doing for you? What kind of music do you listen to?

I've got the HK system and agree that some amplification helped a lot. As did a sub in the trunk!

But when I was setting things up I had the sub disconnected, but still the new amp was powering the 8" speakers under the seats. That alone made a big difference for them. Once I had them somewhat dialed (gain, crossover, giving them as much as they could handle without distortion) in I plugged the sub in to finish out the bottom octaves.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 01:47 PM   #7
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I love my E90 sound system. Its got sub speakers even under the front seats. Reqlly dont need to be upgraded. I wish my E88 had the same system. I mean its pretty decent still. 😌🤟
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 02:09 PM   #8
Finneganistan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
What system do you have, and what is it not doing for you? What kind of music do you listen to?

I've got the HK system and agree that some amplification helped a lot. As did a sub in the trunk!

But when I was setting things up I had the sub disconnected, but still the new amp was powering the 8" speakers under the seats. That alone made a big difference for them. Once I had them somewhat dialed (gain, crossover, giving them as much as they could handle without distortion) in I plugged the sub in to finish out the bottom octaves.
My car does not have the HK option, so I've got whatever the stock setup is. The sound quality is just poor. I'd call it 'muddy.'

For a short time after I bought this car, I still owned my previous car, getting ready to sell it. So I was able to go back and forth between the two playing the same song on the same radio station. The difference was incredible. That was an aftermarket Kenwood system the PO had installed. This stock system I have in the 135 is worse, all around.

I don't need bone-jarring bass or anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 02:54 PM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

One upside is that BMW speakers are pretty universal across basically all models and for a long time. So it should be easy to fit something. There are a lot of kits, and how-to's for getting door panels off and such.

You might consider a speaker upgrade all around for starters. Next would be an amp swap if you want more, they can also be plug & play. You could go in stages with this with no real downside.

Often a little more power is enough. Sometimes you might want the speakers too. Might be the case this time. You could also do amp first, then speakers. Hard to say. But if your speakers under the seats are the 6.5's and not the 8's then you may as well plan on those, regardless.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:18 AM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I also have the base audio system in my 2013 135i. I did what everyone recommended at first which was upgrade the amp. I still wasn't satisfied with the sound so ended up upgrading the front speakers and the under seat subs.

The amp I got is from Bimmertech. It's actually a Audiotec Fischer Match PP 8x amp. I put the x after the 8 as there has been some newer versions of the amp since I purchased mine. I'm not sure what iteration of the PP 8x amp Bimmertech is using now. The amp comes from Bimmertech with their logo imprinted on the amp, mounting bracket, and plug and play harness. It's a total drop in installation. I helped Bimmertech develop the mounting bracket and was the first one to receive the product for fitting. Here's my thread on the installation:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...&highlight=amp

There's a generic sound file that Bimmertech may pre install into the DSP engine of the amp or they'll send it to you. The sound file was ok but wasn't the best. There was an improvement but I still wanted more.

I upgraded the tweeter, door midrange, and sub speakers with Focal speakers that are BMW specific drop in plug and play. At the time I was able to connect with a forum member here by the name of GeoffS (I think that's his forum name) where he did the same upgrades with the exception of him also upgrading the rear speakers. He recommended that I not waste my money doing the rears as they're more for fill in sound and doesn't dramatically impact overall sound quality. Geoff spent money to have a professional audio tuner mic up his car and dial in the DSP engine in the amp to accurately EQ the amp to the characteristics of the car. Geoff also tweaked the sound file to his tastes which coincidentally aligns with mine. He shared the sound file with me and for his trouble I chipped in to pay for the cost of having the pro dial in his amp.

I don't know if you can get the Focal drop in speakers now. I don't remember which speakers I had trouble getting years ago. It was either the tweeter/mid kit or the subs. I think it was the subs where I had to buy them on eBay from a seller in the UK.
Appreciate 1