BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Spark Plugs Suck in N55

I was doing my spark plugs today and everything went well except cylander 2. The second plug from the front bumper I can't get it out. I thought I had the spark plug socket on the plug but it gave away pretty easy. I thought it was just loose at first but I kept turning and turning and the plug was not coming out. I would get points that I had some resistance but I don't know the plug ever actualky moved. I am afraid the nut on the end of the plug broke appart somehow. After working on this longer than I would like to admit I looked down and saw some debris. I was able to get it out and it was pieces of blackish metal I think. Not sure 100% sure. I did not notice any debis falling in and the coil looks fine. I still can't get the plug out and it just spins and feels like the plug is free. I dont know what to do at this point. Maybe there is more debris which I can't see that is keeping the socket from getting over the nut of the spark plug. Maybe the spark plug is out of the threads and the magnet is not strong enough to pull the plug out. Maybe I destroyed the nut on the spark plug. What do I do if the nut on the spark plug crumbled? I am very worried that that plug is stuck forever. The car has 42k miles and as far as I know is on the original plugs. Is it possible they changed them during the VENOS bolt recall? I think I had a broken VENOS bolt. I have spent hours trying to get it out now and don't know what to do. I have been doing spark plugs on cars since I was a kid and never had a problem before.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake

Last edited by Clovef; 10-17-2015 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
tglazed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

If it is stripped you could try a 12 point socket and tap it on there lightly. It shouldn't take too much torque to get it off. Best thing to do though is get some sleep and approach it with a clear head tomorrow. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Dmak
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

If u have the spark plug socket with a magnet, check the magnet on it. I saw some people have problem with the magnet break apart. Of the magnet broke and stuck inside the hole, it can stop you from getting the socket onto the plug. Make sure take all those pieces out b4 you pull the plug out. U don't want it fall into the cylinder. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am not sure what the mettle was, it may have been the magnet as suggested. I did get the plug out but then dropped it down the engine bay. Doh! I tried probing with magnets and pulled back some of the undercover but could not find it. I did tear the minicus in my knee looking for it. I got it done and the car is running well but what an ego blow. I can't see what I am doing without glasses now, I ordered the wrong plugs at first, it took me all weekend and I dropped a plug down the engine bay and could not find it, my joints and hands ache like an old man, and I blew out my knee. Sucks to feel like your body has a hard time doing the things you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
I am not sure what the mettle was, it may have been the magnet as suggested. I did get the plug out but then dropped it down the engine bay. Doh! I tried probing with magnets and pulled back some of the undercover but could not find it. I did tear the minicus in my knee looking for it. I got it done and the car is running well but what an ego blow. I can't see what I am doing without glasses now, I ordered the wrong plugs at first, it took me all weekend and I dropped a plug down the engine bay and could not find it, my joints and hands ache like an old man, and I blew out my knee. Sucks to feel like your body has a hard time doing the things you want to do.
Ouch! Sorry for your troubles. Actually, this is a great justification for having work done at a decent shop rather than at home under the shade tree. Up to this year, I always subscribed to the theory that says, "Why should I pay a young mechanic $90 per hour to 'F' up my car when I can do it myself for free?" I have always wrenched my own motorcycles and cars when the work is not too complex. But as you have just demonstrated, even the easy things can quickly get out of our control...and...the cost of the physical damage we cause to our own bodies can far exceed the amount of money we think we are saving.

I will have to rethink my approach to easy general maintenance.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

What kind of spark plug socket are you using?

You need a SLIM narrow walled 12mm, 12 point socket. BMW sells them. Cheap tools equal bad results.

IF indeed your spark plug is "spinning" you should consult an expert. You "might" be able to "chisel" the old plug out... or... you might need to remove the head and have a machine shop "fix it". But that is a last resort. I wold try a different spark plug socket first. AT this point... you might just have a shop or dealer have a go at it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

I used a Schwaben socket I ordered from ECS and while it ended up getting the job done, I would agree with Dackelone that a better tool would have saved me a lot of time, effort, and pain. I never found the plug but I am pretty confident what happened. As odd as it is, I think the head/nut of the spark plug broke apart into pieces. I have never even heard of it happening before but I pulled out chunks of metel and can't see where else they could have come from. I doubt the metal chunks were already in there or the coil would not have been seated. My spark plug socket is not missing any metal as far as I can tell. The olnly other possibility is that the socket picked up metal chunks before I put it into the cylendar to take the plug out.

In the end, I spent an awful lot of effort doing something I thought was no big deal. I have done spark plugs a number of times in the past without ever having an issue going back to a small block Chevy's from the 70s Now, I don't know. I feel a bit like an old fool. I guess I have known what some of you were saying all along but I did not want to admit to myself. My body is getting too old for this and I need to start considering paying people. Ugh, I still need to clean my air filter and change my oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
I used a Schwaben socket I ordered from ECS and while it ended up getting the job done, I would agree with Dackelone that a better tool would have saved me a lot of time, effort, and pain. I never found the plug but I am pretty confident what happened. As odd as it is, I think the head/nut of the spark plug broke apart into pieces. I have never even heard of it happening before but I pulled out chunks of metel and can't see where else they could have come from. I doubt the metal chunks were already in there or the coil would not have been seated. My spark plug socket is not missing any metal as far as I can tell. The olnly other possibility is that the socket picked up metal chunks before I put it into the cylendar to take the plug out.

In the end, I spent an awful lot of effort doing something I thought was no big deal. I have done spark plugs a number of times in the past without ever having an issue going back to a small block Chevy's from the 70s Now, I don't know. I feel a bit like an old fool. I guess I have known what some of you were saying all along but I did not want to admit to myself. My body is getting too old for this and I need to start considering paying people. Ugh, I still need to clean my air filter and change my oil.
So did you get the old spark plug out and the new one installed?

Having quality tools makes all the difference! Working on our bimmer's isn't hard, when you have the right(quality) tools and know what to expect. Sounds like you just had one of those bad days. I admire you for working on your car. We are never too old to do that.

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 10:51 PM   #9
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. Yes, I did get the the old one out and a new one in eventually. Everything is running well. I am going to need to put off the oil and filter changing until the weekend and see if my nephew or friend wants to learn something fun and useful

One thing I worry about is how this situation could have gone at a independent shop. If they would have realized the plug was stuck, what would they do? Put the coil on the old plug and call it done? Fix it the right way and give me a big bill, or ignore the issue? At least I know I did it and this is something I don't need to worry about anymore

Last edited by Clovef; 10-23-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 01:26 AM   #10
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Indy shop could have done any the above, although you would hope they let you know in the event of any issues. That's always one of the problems with letting untrusted people work on your car. Most likely, though, a shop would get the plug out. It's not at all clear to me that your issues weren't caused by user error.

Also, try reasonable, daily exercise and weight training. Of course you'll injure your body if its not used to being used, and then one day you go out and ask a bunch from it.
Appreciate 1