BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
su320
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red '09 135i

Engine Ticking and Occasional Smoke Smell

Recently I noticed a ticking noise coming from my engine compartment when the car is idle. I've looked at a few other threads that say it's possibly the turbos among other things. Which makes my wallet cringe.

In addition I've had some occasional burning oil smells in the cabin and when getting out and opening the hood it's noticeable that there is some faint white smoke coming form the turbo side of the engine. Not sure if that's related or not. I've hypothesized that it may be a leaky gasket, but that seems somewhat unlikely since it's so infrequent. Plus it's not reproducible, sometimes happens on cold starts sometimes after the car shuts off sometimes stopped and sometimes driving.

Any thoughts on what the culprit might be? I'm taking it in for an oil change this week and will probably have them look into it, but just wondering if anyone else experiences this and what I should prepare my wallet for.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

hmmm kinda has me curious and im not 100% on this but I wonder if its either the valve cover or the turbo gaskets leaking, I know off hand the valve cover s are notorious for cracking
6MT/CDV Delete/Injen Intake/berk race exhaust/ Cyba Scoops/ECS cryo rotors/Axxis ultimate pads/H&R coils/BBS LM-esque lol/BMW PE front/whiteline sway/and did i mention 2200 at 1 ohm ...eyeing the auto diff currently
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
su320
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red '09 135i

I'm thinking it could be a valve cover gasket too. Turbo gasket is one I haven't thought of. That'd be a lot better than the entire turbo.

Haven't had time to look in there myself. Hopefully the guys at the dealer will be able to tell. I've had mixed results taking it to BMW. Depends entirely on the dealer. New town now, so maybe they'll be a bit sharper. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0