BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhouseEnt View Post
You can't come up with a $72,000 price tag without having an accurate base.

Other articles have said estimated or had "est" in the column, this article did not.

The online version is lame and doesn't have all the charts and numbers. This was a full blown test.
You are taking a leap of faith with C/D on this one. Couple of things:
  1. I could justify a 100,000 dollar price tag on the new M3 and site educated reasons for why that price would be accurate. It still does not make it anything more than an estimate.
  2. The online version clearly lists an asterisk above each price number they place on the M3. Unless this is supposed to represent "Wow! Great deal!", I can only conclude based upon reasonable expectations that this denotes an estimate (also, and this not a scientific explanation, but this would be the first time in a long while that a car's list price ended in triple zeros).
  3. This being a "full blown test" has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of its pricing numbers or not. Additionally, at no point in the article does it list specific prices for options or claim that these numbers are completely accurate. Again, maybe the asterisk above the prices denotes something else. I doubt it.
These are still estimates. They could be correct, but they are most likely wrong.
      11-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #24
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

I was wrong... partially

I went back to the magazine and looked again. There is in fact a "est" box that isn't inline with the price, so I didn't see it the first time. However, the magazine goes to great lengths to say the M3 is the cheapest in several spots in the article, and gives very exact numbers, such as the "$62,000 base." Not $59,000 or $60,000 but $62,000.
In saying it is the cheapest, it is only cheaper from their posted price by about $1,000 under the C63. That also tells me the figures are dead on, or the assertion that the M3 is cheapest would be a ridiculous statement being so close in price to the MBZ. By $1,000 - $2,000, I they didn’t know what the price really was, they wouldn’t know it was $1k - $2k in the first place. The C63 for all they know could be $3,000 cheaper, preventing them from speculating at all. I hope everyone gets what my point is.

I also have a solution to my "whine" about the C63 smoking your ass in a race... A ProCeed or other system will drop you dead into the 3.9 sec range for very little money. I bet $$ Vishnu comes out with a ProCeed system within 4 months of release of the M3. That will care of any C63 advantage. The chances of even coming up on a C63 on the road would be remote; the chances of meeting a modded C63 are even more slim-to-none.

Someone made mention that if I wanted straight line speed only, get the C63. In SoCal there are very, very few twisty roads. Its almost 100% nothing but straight line conditions here, so a straight acceleration tussle is the only race most people will ever see, barring a track.

I believe anyone driving the C63 would be right on your tail on a track. The numbers are too close. But there are many other factors in cars to choose.

I'm off the C63. It is just one of the ugliest machines I have ever witnessed coming out of Germany. It looks like a Kragen kit car. That and Consumer Reports listing just about every Mercedes made on the Worst Reliability list makes me also seriously off the C63. The C Class did receive decent marks, but with the overall brand and the C63 being a new model, who wants to play around with $70,000+?

Sounds like the C63 will beat the living tar out of you on daily commutes. This is where the M3 shines…. being a smoking fast daily driver, BMW pays for maintenance, looks gorgeous, has respect…. To me there is no choice after thinking about it the last few days.
Appreciate 0