BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
mangombia
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport Package

'11 E88/N55 DCT MHD Stage 1/1+

New to 1Addicts & MHD, but not to the 135. Recently replaced my '09 E82/N54 with an '11 E88/N55 DCT. The vehicle is as stock as the day it came off the line. I've applied the Stage 1 w/DCT tune with OEM Cat checked (no other options). Vehicle is much more responsive, the DCT lag is gone, and the well-known RPM drop/surge on stop in traffic w/AC on is also gone. Incredible.

I was wondering whether it is advisable to apply the 1+ tune without an upgraded IC? These come with the smaller OEM FMIC, and is that sufficient for 1+ in daily city driving conditions, with the occasional pop of the throttle to get away from laggards and trouble?

The next mod would be an aftermarket DP, but since they still do emissions in Nashville, what is advisable to keep it on the street? At that time I'd probably do the CP as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
2WheelDave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2005 BMW R1200GS

Sounds like lots of folks run 1+ and even stage 2 on stock cars! But from what I've read an upgraded intercooler is the first priority mod. I have a 6MT 2011 135i, and am just waiting for my cable to show up to start playing the game!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I would say Charge Pipe should be first priority. Some people like to argue the failures are due to plastic becoming brittle over time, but the fact is, it'll probably sooner rather than later. Would avoid some future headaches.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

I've been told by several that running 1+ is fine with the stock intercooler, unless you're trying to track it or doing a bunch of Autobahn pulls in a row. I've been running mine without an intercooler for a few months without issue...but I happen to be putting in an intercooler today, to be safe.

A charge pipe is a necessity. They break quite a bit on stock cars, and tuning will make it happen even sooner. I think mine popped about a month after my first tune.

If it were me, I'd do them in this order: charge pipe, intercooler, down pipes.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
2WheelDave
Private
Rep

What intercooler did you choose? I've been looking a bunch. Up here in Canuckistan, the US dollar exchange plus shipping gets things expensive very quickly!

ARM Motorsports has a 5" stepped for $399.00 if I bundle that up with their charge pipe and a lower hose upgrade kit and apply their current discount code, I think it all comes out to $483.00US which is a heck of a deal I think.

I don't want my car to be loud, so I'm not really feeling the down pipe upgrade. We do multi day road trips in search of windy roads so having something that drones at highway speeds is definitely not going to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
MrAndrei
Rep
Drives: 128i winter beater, 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelDave View Post
What intercooler did you choose? I've been looking a bunch. Up here in Canuckistan, the US dollar exchange plus shipping gets things expensive very quickly!

ARM Motorsports has a 5" stepped for $399.00 if I bundle that up with their charge pipe and a lower hose upgrade kit and apply their current discount code, I think it all comes out to $483.00US which is a heck of a deal I think.

I don't want my car to be loud, so I'm not really feeling the down pipe upgrade. We do multi day road trips in search of windy roads so having something that drones at highway speeds is definitely not going to work.

I run MHD with S1+, stock DP, car runs great and puts the power down well. I went with CTS Turbo, they're in BC. Fitment was good, had to do a bit of cutting of the plastic to get a flush fit. My AITs drop when the car is pushed hard, but I don't track it. 485CAD with free shipping atm.

https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/cts...it-direct-fit/

Here's my post about install
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1456253
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:

After tons and tons of reading, I decided the "cheapie" G-Plus intercooler on Amazon was fine, and it gets great reviews. I'd personally only spring for a more expensive one if you're going tube and fin style, like the Wagner EVO Competition series. The G-Plus is essentially a copy of the older Wagner EVO Performance series, but caveat emptor.

I use a VRSF charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I have the vrsf 5", but you don't need an IC until stage 2+. Stage 1+ and stage 2 run fine on the stock IC.

Check the for sale threads here, I got mine for about 150 less than new, even though the prior owner gave me some mystery pipes that were in no way intended to be used with the IC he sold me.
      08-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Now that I've had the G-Plus intercooler a couple of weeks, I thought I'd get back to you. Now, I'm new at logging in MHD, so take this with a grain of salt, but it looks like my IATs are staying put at around 97 degrees when doing full pulls in 3rd gear, which, as the reviews stated, is as good as any other 5" intercooler, AFAIK (not including expensive tube and fin style.).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #10
2WheelDave
Private
Rep

Thanks! I just ordered the ARM Motorsports unit today actually! I don't plan to go any further than Stage1+ and really wanted a simple install.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I just ordered the ARM Motorsports unit today actually! I don't plan to go any further than Stage1+ and really wanted a simple install.
Yeah, it looks similar to my G-Plus, so I'm sure it will be fine. The G-Plus is basically a no-name Wagner EVO.

Last edited by duder13; 08-08-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0