BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
gdrien
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche 718 Cayman

Garage List
Looking for guidance replacing rear side window - 135i cabrio

On Sunday, I accidentally smashed the rear passenger side window in my 135 cabrio. (Long story...) FCP Euro has the OEM replacement for a not-unreasonable $124, and it'll be here tomorrow. Now the problem: I can't figure out how to get in there to replace it.

I've spent hours searching, both here and in Google, and I can't find any information about how to access the window, regulator, etc. in the rear, nor have I located anything about removing the side trim back there. I've reviewed the Bentley for the 3-series, figuring the section on the 3-series convertible would have a relatively similar process, but there's nothing in there about rear side windows in the coupe/convertible, nor about trim removal in the back seat, apart from the four-door models (sedan/wagon).

Does anyone have any advice about how to tackle this window replacement? If not, it's going to be trial-and-error on my part. I'll do my best to document the process and write up a DIY so anyone searching in the future will have more success.
Attached Images

Last edited by gdrien; 02-04-2020 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Fix broken photo link
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...erated/P2mhcLk
Appreciate 1
gdrien4.50
      02-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Sorry to hear about your cabriolet.
I have one too.
May I ask how the glass was shattered?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
gdrien
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Perfect; thanks!
dtla1827.50
      02-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
gdrien
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush1 View Post
Sorry to hear about your cabriolet.
I have one too.
May I ask how the glass was shattered?
Well, after an oil change on Saturday, my car started throwing codes and going into "limp home" mode. Shame on me for deviating from the same routine I've followed for many, many oil changes. This time, I did what BMW expressly says not to; I poured in an oil additive. Fast forward to Sunday. Instead of spending the day skiing as planned, I spent all day disassembling VANOS solenoids and "non-return" valves after flushing the brand new oil and again changing the filter and oil.

In my mounting frustration over not being able to reach the non-return valves, and not being able to see in the abyss of the engine bay, I may have {ahem} thrown a ratchet, which may have ricocheted off something and smashed the window. I'm not proud of this; I've been so much more mellow as my 50th birthday approaches. I must've thrown it really hard in my blind rage, as I only tonight found the T40 socket that was on the ratchet, and still haven't found the extension!

So, the joke will be on me as I disassemble my entire back seat in the cold garage.

But despite its temperamental nature, and the long hours I've spent over the years contorted into unnatural positions doing maintenance and repairs, I still love this car as much as the day I bought it!
      02-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Well good luck sir on getting your nice car fixed!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
gdrien
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush1 View Post
Well good luck sir on getting your nice car fixed!
Thanks. The window was delivered this morning, and the replacement VANOS solenoids will be here tomorrow. Lots of wrenching this week...