BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #23
One28i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1

bring up an old thread. just got my BMW PS and they (BMW) gave me 31 33 6 788 891 T1 for the fronts and 33 53 6 788 898 for the rears when I gave my vin #. I have a base 128i M sport manual, no sunroof, no nav. Now on the hunt for Bilstien dampers, and I am converting the rear lower camber arms to 1m/M3 so on the fence to go B6 1M damper which is HD, or the M3 B8 damper...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #24
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by One28i View Post
bring up an old thread. just got my BMW PS and they (BMW) gave me 31 33 6 788 891 T1 for the fronts and 33 53 6 788 898 for the rears when I gave my vin #. I have a base 128i M sport manual, no sunroof, no nav. Now on the hunt for Bilstien dampers, and I am converting the rear lower camber arms to 1m/M3 so on the fence to go B6 1M damper which is HD, or the M3 B8 damper...
Technically B8 should be used for a lowering spring including M sport.....

On another note, Bilstein supply has been horrendous in North America, I've been hunting for a driver side B8 since July, and nothing yet. Called a bunch of places and they all say it's been a disaster with Bilstein. Bilstein Canada (Essex Distributors) are bringing them in direct from Germany at this point....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #25
One28i
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Technically B8 should be used for a lowering spring including M sport.....

On another note, Bilstein supply has been horrendous in North America, I've been hunting for a driver side B8 since July, and nothing yet. Called a bunch of places and they all say it's been a disaster with Bilstein. Bilstein Canada (Essex Distributors) are bringing them in direct from Germany at this point....
Are you buying online or you local store? JRP gave me the best Canadian price so far, but still cheaper in the US with conversion say thru bimmerworld, if you can bring it over with no duty via friend or long enough stay >48hrs i think...

about the 1M rear damper, they only offer a B6, and concerned that the damper rate maybe too high, and stroke too short with the B8 intended for the M3 chassis. I think the spring rate on the rear stock 1M is 500lbs/in and the BMW PS is ~ 460lbs/in. A lot of guess work, but the stock setup on my car, are horrible right now. the 16 year old E39 I had on stock M sport setup was far better for its age...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #26
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Are you buying online or you local store? JRP gave me the best Canadian price so far, but still cheaper in the US with conversion say thru bimmerworld, if you can bring it over with no duty via friend or long enough stay >48hrs i think...

about the 1M rear damper, they only offer a B6, and concerned that the damper rate maybe too high, and stroke too short with the B8 intended for the M3 chassis. I think the spring rate on the rear stock 1M is 500lbs/in and the BMW PS is ~ 460lbs/in. A lot of guess work, but the stock setup on my car, are horrible right now. the 16 year old E39 I had on stock M sport setup was far better for its age...
I ordered 2 from Alpha Motorsports, got the passenger side one but have been waiting for the driver side. Call Mo @ Alpha to compare a quote with what you got from JRP, my pricing was SIGNIFICANTLY better from Alpha compared to anywhere else (US, Canada, whatever). I think Alpha probably buys from JRP, they just run pretty lean and their pricing is almost always better than elsewhere.

As far as stock levels, it's a strange issue...I had chat with Bimmerworld reps yesterday, as well as JRP, Marcor, and Essex. All of them stated Bilstein is having strange supply problems - Bimmerworld said they are back ordered on 77% of all Bilstein items. If you are looking at M3 specific parts you might be lucky and not have the issue as those parts might be available, the specific part I'm looking for at the moment happens to be one of those that are impossible to find....Steve from JRP said he's had one on order since 2017 and it hasn't come in !!!!!!

As far as your damper choice is concerned, yea that's a bit of guessing game I suppose. It may work out with the B6, just the stroke may not be quite optimized. Having said that, I know people on this forum ran Swift Spec R springs with B6 dampers on their cars with no apparent issue...

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #27
One28i
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
I ordered 2 from Alpha Motorsports, got the passenger side one but have been waiting for the driver side. Call Mo @ Alpha to compare a quote with what you got from JRP, my pricing was SIGNIFICANTLY better from Alpha compared to anywhere else (US, Canada, whatever). I think Alpha probably buys from JRP, they just run pretty lean and their pricing is almost always better than elsewhere.

As far as stock levels, it's a strange issue...I had chat with Bimmerworld reps yesterday, as well as JRP, Marcor, and Essex. All of them stated Bilstein is having strange supply problems - Bimmerworld said they are back ordered on 77% of all Bilstein items. If you are looking at M3 specific parts you might be lucky and not have the issue as those parts might be available, the specific part I'm looking for at the moment happens to be one of those that are impossible to find....Steve from JRP said he's had one on order since 2017 and it hasn't come in !!!!!!

As far as your damper choice is concerned, yea that's a bit of guessing game I suppose. It may work out with the B6, just the stroke may not be quite optimized. Having said that, I know people on this forum ran Swift Spec R springs with B6 dampers on their cars with no apparent issue...

Good luck...
thanks man! will check out Alpha. waiting since 2017, that is nuts, hope I don't have to wait that long... I took like 8 months to narrow my search, the toss up was between hardcore ohlins r&t vs what I am doing now with the BMW PS and bilstiens...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #28
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
thanks man! will check out Alpha. waiting since 2017, that is nuts, hope I don't have to wait that long... I took like 8 months to narrow my search, the toss up was between hardcore ohlins r&t vs what I am doing now with the BMW PS and bilstiens...
For what it's worth - I've got BWM PS and Koni Yellows and quite happy with the setup.
      01-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #29
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

Quote:
One28i
I settled on these same spring numbers for my similarly equipped (or stripped) 2011 128i. I am also pairing them with Bilstein B8 shocks. How did this setup work out for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 12:20 AM   #30
One28i
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
One28i
I settled on these same spring numbers for my similarly equipped (or stripped) 2011 128i. I am also pairing them with Bilstein B8 shocks. How did this setup work out for you?
Hey Chris, have not gotten my dampers, waiting for the back order to go away before I order, as one of the fronts is still showing delays ( Feb 1st now at Turner)...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #31
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Dang dude.
Just get the Koni 's.
They're pretty great, actually.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #32
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey Chris, have not gotten my dampers, waiting for the back order to go away before I order, as one of the fronts is still showing delays ( Feb 1st now at Turner)...
I already received the B8 shocks from ECS/Turner. There was a short delay though, maybe a couple of weeks. I ordered B6s first and ended up exchanging them for B8s after speaking with Bilstein. However, I'm not too sure it makes much of a difference because of the minimal drop wth the BMW PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Dang dude.
Just get the Koni 's.
They're pretty great, actually.
I'm not intending to start a Koni shock debate, but...

I had Koni shocks with Eibach springs on an Accord. I agree that they function great. My problems with them were that the rears started leaking (replaced under warranty) and the paint didn't hold up. I was informed by Koni that they use water base paint due to environmental regulations and the finish can't hold up well to winter salt. Not having this past experience, I would have absolutely gone with Koni.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #33
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Had same problem with Bilsteins on Toyota PU. Factory setup started leaking 3 mos after delivery. Just a counterpoint, not a judgement on general quality of either brand.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #34
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue135 View Post
Had same problem with Bilsteins on Toyota PU. Factory setup started leaking 3 mos after delivery. Just a counterpoint, not a judgement on general quality of either brand.
Ugh, damn.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #35
One28i
Private
Canada
Rep

Question

Chris N you got all 4 corners B8? or did the B8 fronts with B6 rears with the 1m/m3 lower camber arms. From when you ordered to when you got them, how long did it take?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #36
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Chris N you got all 4 corners B8? or did the B8 fronts with B6 rears with the 1m/m3 lower camber arms. From when you ordered to when you got them, how long did it take?
Yeah, B8, all 4. Only guessing, maybe a month at the most? I wasn't in a hurry so the timing really wasn't an issue for me.

Last edited by Chris N; 01-06-2019 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #37
One28i
Private
Canada
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
Yeah, B8, all 4. Only guessing, maybe a month at the most? I wasn't in a hurry so the timing really wasn't an issue for me.
Nice, you beat me to it. Please do share your findings when installed, very curious, as this stuff I have not seen anywhere as of yet. I am on the fence especially on the rears, as I want to make sure I have suspension travel.

Also the fronts, do you think the B6 shock would work on the BMW PS? also same, as this is mainly a Street occasional Track setup, want to ensure suspension travel if at all possible.

Glad to see someone else going down the same path on suspension setup.
Appreciate 0