BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #45
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
DSC_OFF:

i don't think it's fair to compare the tossability of a stock 135is to a modified track car like the Z4 Coupe!!

i'm a big fan of dual clutch gearboxes....but for my 'is' i decided to go with manual. I just think the nature of this car sort of begs for a manual for me personally.....but i'm sure you can't go wrong with either gearbox.
True but I still vividly remember how my car drove when it was stock and even then it felt much more precise. Either way I still think its a great car, just wanted to give an honest review.
      08-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #46
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
True but I still vividly remember how my car drove when it was stock and even then it felt much more precise. Either way I still think its a great car, just wanted to give an honest review.
honestly SMALL coupes like the Z4, TT, Cayman, etc....they always feel somehow more direct. my TT is fairly modified and feels like it is directly glued to the road....unlike anything else i've driven recently. low center of gravity also creates that feeling IMO.

i think the 1-series is the perfect comprimise between a really low coupe like a Z4c and a bloated coupe like the 3-series.

Last edited by IEDEI; 08-21-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #47
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian.long View Post
I'm doing performance center delivery, since it is like 5 minutes from my house and all....scheduled for the 19th of September....
My local dealer is about 10 minutes away, but the PCD option sounded like a great way to spend a few days... and my wife was onboard immediately ("Hmmm... that might be fun!")... so off to GSP next week we go!!!

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #48
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard... With you saying you had two different dealers tell you that they would both knock off 7% without negotiating tells me that you were shopping around for the best price, and I'm sure you let them know that...
Yet your response is even more ridiculous. Don't presume anything. First time I heard this was went was for a friend who was interested in a 528xi and inquired about ED. He was going to knock 2 birds with one stone and pick up his car on his honeymoon. Salesman said don't bother, he'd give 7% off the bat on any car in his lot and they'd save booking their trip separately.

The second time I heard this was just few days ago when I inquired about a 135is. I actually was looking to pick up parts for a water pump job but realized I had come to the wrong location. First time at this dealer (went during my lunch break at work) and apparently sales and service are 2 different locations.

After a CA clarified where the other location was, he saw me checking out a 135i in their showroom. When he asked if I wanted to take it out for a test drive, I told him it was alright because I already knew the way this car was optioned it'd be out of my range. He then interrupted me and his exact words were "take msrp and multiply it 0.93 and that's what I'll give you..."

Maybe a salesman sees you walk in and pushes mrsp right off the bat but that has not been the case for me. And fwiw, I'm getting 7.4% before August incentives and that was first and best price offered to me, no haggling or going back and forth.
      08-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #49
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You also bought something off the lot, correct? Because like I said.... We would never do 10% on an order... And like someone else said before, no one is ever going to lose that kind of money on a car unless it is to get an incentive from bmw for selling a certain amount of cars, or like I said, it's an aged unit.
Who's we? Are you in sales or are you speaking on behalf of dealers in your area LMAO. I didn't buy anything yet. The 2 salesman that offered me 7% off, yes that was on the lot. The 135is I'm looking at now is at the port.

And learn to read, where do you see 10%? I said it seems some have been able to negotiate as much as 10% in my first post but I said 7% is the expected norm assuming the car is not a first year model, ie 4-series.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 08-25-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #50
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Ian: maybe your market is different where you live...but I got about 7% on my order without even really negotiating! maybe it's an east coast aggressiveness thing? lol
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #51
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And learn to read, where do you see 10%? I said it seems some have been able to negotiate as much as 10% in my first post but I said 7% is the expected norm assuming the car is not a first year model, ie 4-series.

Quote:
The IS is a first year model....
Wow you really can't read.

If you think the 135is a new model, you're an idiot. The only reason a 135is was offered is because the 135i is in the final year of production so they slap on the extra performance parts to run down their current stock and incentivize buyers. The car's been in production for how long? The 4-series on the other hand is current example of a first year model.

Plenty of threads here about folks getting 7% off if not more. If you got less, and you believed that your deal was "best available", that's unfortunate but I could care less. And the truth is none of this has to do with my original post. So unless you have something to contribute of value, feel free to create a new thread "why did I get a bad deal?"

Last edited by 3002 tii; 08-24-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #52
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

I laughed at the ca's who tried to convince me the "is" is some new rare car that would command a premium. That was after I knew I could get at least 7% off.

Nice meeting you today, dsc-off! Hope it all works out for you Monday.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #53
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i do think the 'is' is special in its own way....it's a last hurrah to a wonderful car and the end of an era of BMW, IMO......that being said, i don't think there's enough demand for it to justify anything more than a solid discount upon sale!

you NJ guys-----we gotta organize a good NYC/NJ meet up sometime later this autumn! maybe a nice drive or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #54
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

DSC, which way did you decide to go with the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #55
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
I laughed at the ca's who tried to convince me the "is" is some new rare car that would command a premium. That was after I knew I could get at least 7% off.

Nice meeting you as well. Man it's going to be so hard to not bring this beast on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama335 View Post
DSC, which way did you decide to go with the car?
Turns out AW on CR sold on Friday. So at the moment I'm going to go for the 135is and if that falls through for whatever reason I'll go for the carbon black 135i.
      08-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #56
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
MB, how'd the car do out on the track? Lemme guess, it pushed and tore up the left front?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #57
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ian: maybe your market is different where you live...but I got about 7% on my order without even really negotiating! maybe it's an east coast aggressiveness thing? lol
Maybe it's just a him thing. Some people are better at negotiating, others are just more gullible (and stubborn).

Quote:
i do think the 'is' is special in its own way....it's a last hurrah to a wonderful car and the end of an era of BMW, IMO......that being said, i don't think there's enough demand for it to justify anything more than a solid discount upon sale!

you NJ guys-----we gotta organize a good NYC/NJ meet up sometime later this autumn! maybe a nice drive or something.
Or you can come down to the track, the best type of a gtg. Oct 4-6 at NJMP with PCA...
      08-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #58
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama335 View Post
MB, how'd the car do out on the track? Lemme guess, it pushed and tore up the left front?
Um yes, to the point where I swapped my front tires side to side so I could have a bit more grip on Sunday. But to me it's the poor craftsman who blames his tools; I knew the car was going to push, so I had to drive it accordingly. I knew the runflats would suck, so I had to cook them and get them sliding asap, which was giggle-fest out there.

Elwood (Mike) also had his out there, but he's also got an E30 track car, so the 1 was bound to feel, well, worse.

I'm not going to get into the game of making it a track car; I've done that before and have regretted it. When the RF's die, I'll get better summer tires. Next time out, I might opt for different brake pads. It's too slippery a slope to keep going...

The best testament I have for the car on track is how smitten my instructor was with it. He's very experienced and has had all levels of street and track cars; he loved the "is." His quote was, "Well, you bought the right car! What else can you get new from BMW right now that feels and goes like this on the track!? Nothing!"

Quote:

Or you can come down to the track, the best type of a gtg. Oct 4-6 at NJMP with PCA...
PCA!? Blaspheme! I'm looking at 10/13-14 with NJCCA. No club race so lots more track time. I told myself three years ago I wouldn't do this delval august event ever again. So much for that...heheheh. Glad I went, though. Also glad the car is in one piece!

Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #59
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed!

Um yes, to the point where I swapped my front tires side to side so I could have a bit more grip on Sunday. But to me it's the poor craftsman who blames his tools; I knew the car was going to push, so I had to drive it accordingly. I knew the runflats would suck, so I had to cook them and get them sliding asap, which was giggle-fest out there.

Elwood (Mike) also had his out there, but he's also got an E30 track car, so the 1 was bound to feel, well, worse.

I'm not going to get into the game of making it a track car; I've done that before and have regretted it. When the RF's die, I'll get better summer tires. Next time out, I might opt for different brake pads. It's too slippery a slope to keep going...

The best testament I have for the car on track is how smitten my instructor was with it. He's very experienced and has had all levels of street and track cars; he loved the "is." His quote was, "Well, you bought the right car! What else can you get new from BMW right now that feels and goes like this on the track!? Nothing!"

PCA!? Blaspheme! I'm looking at 10/13-14 with NJCCA. No club race so lots more track time. I told myself three years ago I wouldn't do this delval august event ever again. So much for that...heheheh. Glad I went, though. Also glad the car is in one piece!
Problem is that event falls on a Monday. FWIW PCA is generally cheaper, more track time and the groups are more laid back =)

I said the same thing on Saturday but Sunday was much better. I actually managed to get some clean laps in on Sunday, best time of the day was a 1:19 flat. I'm really curious how the IS would stack against my Z4 in stock trim with the exception of square 245's and -1.5* camber up front.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 08-30-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #60
mb135is
Captain
Rep

I think if the IS had a square setup and camber, it would be ridiculous. Great video!

Appreciate 0