Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Garage List
06 Bmw 330ci ZHP  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
I have a 2006 M3 in addition to my 1M. While the 1M doesn't have navi, the navi in the M3 is terrible. Outdated, the graphics are primitive and it barely works. In another 5 years the navi in the 1M will feel the same.
You can install that android tablet tho onto the e46 bmw to replace the old outdated nav on them if im correct? thats another plus on the e46.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #24
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

The rhetoric on the forum about the navigation is absurd. I enjoy it greatly for many reasons. It doesn't detract from the car at all. Of course it will be outdated and so will the rest of the car. It will have zero impact on collectability if that is what someone really cares about. Its like saying I would get that 993 turbo but I really want one without a cassette player. Ridiculous. Stripper vs loaded is same silly argument. Comfort access is great! If they had a stripped 1m with factory performance upgrades then maybe.
Appreciate 1
buddalun679.00
      04-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #25
MMM PWR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M and E46 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
The rhetoric on the forum about the navigation is absurd. I enjoy it greatly for many reasons. It doesn't detract from the car at all. Of course it will be outed and so will the rest of the car. It will have zero impact on collectability if that is what someone really cares about. Its like saying I would get that 993 turbo but I really want one without a cassette player. Ridiculous. Stripper vs loaded is same silly argument. Comfort access is great! If they had a stripped 1m with factory performance upgrades then maybe.
Yep!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #26
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
The rhetoric on the forum about the navigation is absurd. I enjoy it greatly for many reasons. It doesn't detract from the car at all. Of course it will be outed and so will the rest of the car. It will have zero impact on collectability if that is what someone really cares about. Its like saying I would get that 993 turbo but I really want one without a cassette player. Ridiculous. Stripper vs loaded is same silly argument. Comfort access is great! If they had a stripped 1m with factory performance upgrades then maybe.
Agree and I'm actuallly noticing the iDrive equipped cars going for more than the non iDrive cars. A lot more.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:24 PM   #27
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
So, my opinion is apparently rhetoric now? Values wouldn't be effected in the near term anyway. But I don't care about resale; like I said I plan on owning the car for awhile. For the functions I care about and use, my phone already does the job better than the navigation system could. I'm just glad I don't have that thing on my dash right in my line of sight.

Where's nachob when ya need him to agree with me on the "iPad on the dash"
      04-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #28
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Your 993 analogy is bang on an at first I thought comfort access was a silly gimmick but now couldn't live without it!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #29
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
So, my opinion is apparently rhetoric now? Values wouldn't be effected in the near term anyway. But I don't care about resale; like I said I plan on owning the car for awhile. For the functions I care about and use, my phone already does the job better than the navigation system could. I'm just glad I don't have that thing on my dash right in my line of sight.

No your opinion is not the rhetoric but is inline with it. I am not to concerned about resale either! 80k miles and counting.

Regarding the line of site issue, you must be vertically challenged . Doesn't affect me at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #30
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

Personally I'm a big fan of the idrive in my 1M. Mine came loaded and I couldn't be happier. Perfectly easy to use. I think that version of idrive reached the the balance where it is easy to use...anything more and it can start to get too "inspector gadget".
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #31
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

No your opinion is not the rhetoric but is inline with it. I am not to concerned about resale either! 80k miles and counting.

Regarding the line of site issue, you must be vertically challenged . Doesn't affect me at all.
5'8" lean and mean. Makes sense concerning the power seats too. That's another subject that seems to have lots of propaganda, I like my power seats however.

When are European manufacturers going make cars that better fit us 'large' Americans and our 64oz soda cups?
      04-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #32
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
The E46 is a great looking car; timeless. Fender fares, gills, good body lines, focused interior etc... (subjective, I know). The only thing that bothers me aesthetically is the ugly dumb 'atari' looking navigation unit. If it was simple I would convert the car to a non-navi. I turn if off first thing every time I get in the car. Only benefit is that it is lower in the dash below direct line of sight. The E82's navi is a pimple on top of the dash board. It will be an eyesore in the future. For a car that is a throwback to an enthusiast driver's focused package I feel like the navigation unit was an addendum that they know they needed to put in place. Currently, most people couldn't imagine spending ~$50k for a new car that did not have navigation, and so it was made available as an option.

My opinion is coming from the perspective that I plan to own the car for a long time and from that future perspective I'm glad my car did not have it. I did not buy my car new in 2011. Now, secondhand, I would not refuse a good 1M solely for the fact that it had navigation, but I would try to find one without. I also have a 2016 i3, and by comparison only 5 years later the E82 unit feels old and cumbersome.
This is pretty much bang on with how I feel and why I spec'd my car without iDrive. Nothing makes a car feel older or more obsolete than an 8 bit navigation display. No regrets or distractions.

I'm sure we can all agree to disagree, though.

Last edited by ayao; 04-05-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      04-05-2017, 05:15 AM   #33
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
I'll throw a vote behind you GimmeanM. I also prefer a barebones car. I feel it ages better and all of the extra functionality is quite easy to add with more modern capabilities.

I am a relatively new owner of an Italian origin white beauty which was imported new to Japan. The person/dealer placing the original order in Italy in 2011/12 must have had a psychic link to the future me. Manual seats. No armrest. No idrive. The only a/v related upgrade was an auxiliary in jack. This allows me to add a Bluetooth receiver of the latest standard for audio integration, and just like you I'm happy using my iPhone and Apple Watch for navigation. Much more capable and always up to date.

To those that voted the other way, I respect that, too. I'm glad you're enjoying what you have. No interest in starting a religious war. Peace.
      04-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #34
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
Morgan Stanley's auto team, led by Adam Jonas, has just issued a report detailing why they think used car prices could crash by up to 50% over the next 4-5 years.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...s-may-crash-50
I'd just like to see the price of E30s and Porsches come down a little so I could buy one.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 12:46 AM   #35
DanielLee5
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 1998

The price is huge, as for me.. I am planning to buy a pre-owned BMW in the US ( via brokers ), I live in Canada now, any recommendations?
Appreciate 0