BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Realiability on BMW's

Okay...I am slightly worried about the realiability on BMW's. My neighbor had a 2007 X5 and pursued relief under the lemon law due to all the problems. My other neighbor has a 2004 530i and is having problems with the TPMS. Any info on realiability, because i'm not sure i have time to take it to the shop every other week!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
gotgemini2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 & E46 M3, 6 speed manuals

My 1996 BMW 328i has almost 170k miles on it and is still going strong, although some of the small electronic things have gone (sunroof switch). My younger brothers 1992 325i had 180k miles on it when we traded it in and was mechanically still great although the seats and interior were starting to get alittle too worn. My father's current 2002 540i 6 speed has 140,000 miles on it and looks BRAND NEW. He has had a couple problems with random electric motors in the steering wheel adjuster and a few other things, but once again the car is mechanically great. Ultimately, the cars last forever as long as you fix the small things immediately when they go. The drivetrains and engines generally seem to be bulletproof, it's just the small electronic things that can be a pain.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Ok good...any other takers? The reason the interior fell apart is b/c BMW uses water based glue. It doesn't get as hot in Germany as in the states
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgemini2000 View Post
My 1996 BMW 328i has almost 170k miles on it and is still going strong, although some of the small electronic things have gone (sunroof switch). My younger brothers 1992 325i had 180k miles on it when we traded it in and was mechanically still great although the seats and interior were starting to get alittle too worn. My father's current 2002 540i 6 speed has 140,000 miles on it and looks BRAND NEW. He has had a couple problems with random electric motors in the steering wheel adjuster and a few other things, but once again the car is mechanically great. Ultimately, the cars last forever as long as you fix the small things immediately when they go. The drivetrains and engines generally seem to be bulletproof, it's just the small electronic things that can be a pain.
How often does your dad change his oil???
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Typically it is advised that you avoid the first year of production. This pertains to any manufacturer. BMWs do tend to require higher maintenance than usual.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
jt328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 328i

I think we would all concur that in general German cars are not as reliable as Japanese cars. I was reticent about reliability when I bought my 328i, 3-years used at that, but thankfully it was CPO.

But so far, it's been OK. The biggest thing was the control arms needed replacing at around 80k (covered under the CPO warranty). Also, my summer tires are roaring like crazy (with maybe 40k on them) due to the tires cupping. I read on another thread on this forum that it's likely due to the camber that BMW uses. What's with BMW and their suspensions? I guess that's the price you pay for the great ride/handling combo.

I would also agree with the small, nagging stuff. I know I'm not the only one, but I have a problem with the oil sensor coming on for the first 10 seconds after start-up. The sunshade on the sunroof doesn't move properly, something about broken tabs, $200 or so for a new shade. The !$%-ers at the stealer wouldn't cover it under warranty, said it was wear-and-tear... wear-and-tear my eye! I don't have these kinds of problems on my Integra or any other Japanese car I've owned. Oh, but the VW GTI I had, don't get me started on that.

The bottom line is... would I buy another BMW? In a heartbeat!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
bimmer_fan
SF KREW
Rep
Drives:

if residual value is good then reliability is strongly related. check you consumer guide reports...i.e. mercedes benz vs bmw
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDriver View Post
Typically it is advised that you avoid the first year of production. This pertains to any manufacturer. BMWs do tend to require higher maintenance than usual.
Funny, I have bought three first year models and they have all been fantastic so far. The only reason I would avoid first year models is the propensity to add features as the model ages (like BMW upgrading the 325i to the 328i and 330i to 335i). With the 135i already receiving the most current of BMW technologies, though, this shouldnt be a problem.

As for BMW reliability, understand a multitude of factors:

1. This is an internet forum. Internet forums like these bring forth two distinct types of members: fans who view whatever brand or model superior to others or owners who are experiencing terrible problems and are looking for advice. Therefore, the opinions you find here will not represent what is actually happening with the models. My family has owned 5 BMWs in the last decade and all of them have been fine. The only notable problem has been a windshield installment problem with our 2005 X5 (which, you should note, is a problem with the dealer not BMW). My dad owned a 1992 E34 525i that ran for 7 years before we sold it (the only problem it had were radiator tubes and accessories that needed replaced). Conversely, I know people who would avoid BMWs with all their effort but that is not indicative of what you will experience.

2. Reliability becomes a problem for most people when the dealer becomes a pain to deal with. My advice to everyone buying a new car is to understand that problems will occur. No matter what you buy, there will be something that the dealer will need to fix. The experience with the dealership will dictate how manageable the reliability is. I had a 2004 Mazda3 that had a multitude of problems (all minor) and the dealer was very accommodating in fixing these issues. Conversely, my 2006 MX-5 had fewer problems but was a hassle to deal with (I had to use dealers in Arizona... thanks to school). If your dealer isnt accommodating, it doesnt matter how reliable your car is, you wont enjoy the experience.

3. Understand the perspective of different owners. I know people who go through the roof because the cigarette lighter is broken. That is a very minor problem. Likewise, someone who rates the reliability of a car as extremely poor because a rattle wasnt fixed is exaggerating things greatly. Unfortunately, this means that it taints the overall ratings of every manufacturer out there.

Like I said before, you have to expect that something bad will happen. In my experience, some BMW dealers have been great to work with and others have been a pain. The key is finding the right dealer that makes you feel comfortable.

Objectively speaking, every component that the 135i will feature has been produced and tested in other BMW models apart from the differential and brakes. Electronic components have been used in the 1er hatch, the engines and gearboxes in the 3er and 5er, and BMW as shown a great technological ability to produce quality components. I really would not be worried about the reliability of a state-of-the-art BMW.
      09-21-2007, 01:14 AM   #9
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

hey Mpower, where in cali do you live? if your in the bay, which dealer would you recommend, pleasanton, or fremont. I know the SF one has a horrible reputation. but if your not from around the bay then just ignore this post.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:30 AM   #10
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Great post MPower
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #11
krassanova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
Ok good...any other takers? The reason the interior fell apart is b/c BMW uses water based glue. It doesn't get as hot in Germany as in the states
I have found a few issues with BMWs that I have owned in the past, but they are just the little PITA trim pieces breaking, and other stuff that can be fixed on your own but still piss you off. I had an issue with some interior trim parts falling apart on my 2001 330Ci (Coupe not convertible) also because of the heat. The dealer was really no help, and I finally fixed the problem with a silicone based glue...it worked like a charm. This problem was due to the heat (it first happened when I was in Palm Springs) and I came to the same conclusion you did about the cars being built for a colder climate.

That being said, I've never had any problems with overheating...but I have no experience with the new turbocharged engines which supposedly run pretty hot. This concerns me a bit since I live in a hot climate, so I've been following the discussions of 335 owners, as I would want to get the 135.

Engine-wise, I have not had any problems. I change my oil every 3-4000 miles, and I think this is key. Don't wait for the computer to tell you when to change the oil, just do it every 3-4000 miles.

The great thing about BMW is being able to take advantage of the 50K free maintenance warranty. If your car is a lemon, you'll know WAY before the 50K miles are up. You will have taken your car in for service plenty of times for free, and provided you take the car to the dealer where you purchased the car, you'll get a free loaner while they work on your car. This is a great safety net. I had some issues with my manual tranny on my MINI, and I actually got the entire unit replaced for free under warranty at 20K miles. If you want to be REALLY careful, you can also pay for an additional 50K of maintenance, and parts warranty (two separate warranties) when you buy the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
dsm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krassanova View Post
I have found a few issues with BMWs that I have owned in the past, but they are just the little PITA trim pieces breaking, and other stuff that can be fixed on your own but still piss you off. I had an issue with some interior trim parts falling apart on my 2001 330Ci (Coupe not convertible) also because of the heat. The dealer was really no help, and I finally fixed the problem with a silicone based glue...it worked like a charm. This problem was due to the heat (it first happened when I was in Palm Springs) and I came to the same conclusion you did about the cars being built for a colder climate.

That being said, I've never had any problems with overheating...but I have no experience with the new turbocharged engines which supposedly run pretty hot. This concerns me a bit since I live in a hot climate, so I've been following the discussions of 335 owners, as I would want to get the 135.

Engine-wise, I have not had any problems. I change my oil every 3-4000 miles, and I think this is key. Don't wait for the computer to tell you when to change the oil, just do it every 3-4000 miles.

The great thing about BMW is being able to take advantage of the 50K free maintenance warranty. If your car is a lemon, you'll know WAY before the 50K miles are up. You will have taken your car in for service plenty of times for free, and provided you take the car to the dealer where you purchased the car, you'll get a free loaner while they work on your car. This is a great safety net. I had some issues with my manual tranny on my MINI, and I actually got the entire unit replaced for free under warranty at 20K miles. If you want to be REALLY careful, you can also pay for an additional 50K of maintenance, and parts warranty (two separate warranties) when you buy the car.

How much does the extended warranty run on BMW's?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
krassanova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

It depends when you buy it. The sooner the cheaper. If you get it when you first buy the car, you can bargain with the salesman on it like any other option.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #14
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Objectively speaking, every component that the 135i will feature has been produced and tested in other BMW models apart from the differential and brakes. Electronic components have been used in the 1er hatch, the engines and gearboxes in the 3er and 5er, and BMW as shown a great technological ability to produce quality components. I really would not be worried about the reliability of a state-of-the-art BMW.
Outstanding post.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
gotgemini2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 & E46 M3, 6 speed manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
How often does your dad change his oil???
I believe about every 5-7k miles. The car feels exactly the same power and performance wise as the day he got it. Obviously a couple little electronic things have gone wrong but you have to expect that in a car so old. I was on a forum recently and saw a guy selling an E46 M3 with 240,000 miles on it. The car looked almost brand new and certainly had life left in it. Mechanically, at least in my experience, BMWs have been bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #16
EricUSC
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
and provided you take the car to the dealer where you purchased the car, you'll get a free loaner while they work on your car.
Really? You only get a loaner if you take your car to the dealer you purchased the car from for service? Can somebody confirm or reject this statement?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #17
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Thats not how it works with Land Rover... I dunno about BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #18
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricUSC View Post
Really? You only get a loaner if you take your car to the dealer you purchased the car from for service? Can somebody confirm or reject this statement?
No, you should get a loaner regardless of where you bought the car from. Understand, though, that a dealer's loaner "inventory" varies from dealer to dealer. In most cases, you will only get a loaner if you schedule the service in advance and reserve your loaner car. Additionally, some dealers use a rental car company and this may change what you have to do to get the rental car. Regardless, every dealer provides you with a way to get a complementary rental car. It is part of the warranty with the car and is something the dealer must provide in some way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban
hey Mpower, where in cali do you live? if your in the bay, which dealer would you recommend, pleasanton, or fremont. I know the SF one has a horrible reputation. but if your not from around the bay then just ignore this post.
Nope, in SoCal which can be hit or miss with dealers as far as I concerned.
      09-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #19
ShifterKart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR/BB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricUSC View Post

It depends on the dealer. The dealer does not have to provide a loaner if you did not purchase the car from them. All dealers are not created equal. This has been discussed many times on the E90 forum.

Also, some dealers will not give you a BMW as a loaner. They outsource this service to a rental car company and you will receive a G6 or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
Spoonie
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X MR

BMW may not be as reliable as the Japanese cars but I can guarantee you this; The BMW will last longer.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #21
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonie View Post
BMW may not be as reliable as the Japanese cars but I can guarantee you this; The BMW will last longer.
That is one of the worst oxymorons I've ever heard.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #22
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I had an issue with some interior trim parts falling apart on my 2001 330Ci (Coupe not convertible) also because of the heat.
if you still have the car, they redesigned that part (finally)-- if you get it replaced now, it shouldn't fall down again.
Appreciate 0