BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
hunterl41
First Lieutenant
hunterl41's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
new shoes PSS 255 285

After spending most of the winter looking through various tire fitment threads, I decided to go with a 255/35/19 front and 285/30/19 rears. Using the 1M safety car as fitment reference, I was initially going to go with Pirelli pzeros, but as luck would have it Michelin recently started carrying 285s as they are OEM sizing for one of the MB black series cars. So I went with pilot super sports instead. Still have a couple hundred miles to fully break them in, but my initial feelings have been extremely positive. There's less road noise, more planted feel in the rear, and no rubbing front or back. In the looks department it looks meatier and more aggressive without looking out of proportion, or too large for the wheels.
All suspension is stock. Previous owner had PS2 in the front and PSS in the rear with OEM sizes.

Here's a few quick shots from the morning commute.



Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Juggernaut135i
First Lieutenant
Juggernaut135i's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
315
Posts

Drives: BMW 135i Stage 2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fort Lauderdale

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterl41 View Post
After spending most of the winter looking through various tire fitment threads, I decided to go with a 255/35/19 front and 285/30/19 rears. Using the 1M safety car as fitment reference, I was initially going to go with Pirelli pzeros, but as luck would have it Michelin recently started carrying 285s as they are OEM sizing for one of the MB black series cars. So I went with pilot super sports instead. Still have a couple hundred miles to fully break them in, but my initial feelings have been extremely positive. There's less road noise, more planted feel in the rear, and no rubbing front or back. In the looks department it looks meatier and more aggressive without looking out of proportion, or too large for the wheels.
All suspension is stock. Previous owner had PS2 in the front and PSS in the rear with OEM sizes.

Here's a few quick shots from the morning commute.



Wish I could fit 285s on 135s
__________________
BMW 135i Active Autowerke Charge Pipe, BOV, Intercooler
AFE stage 2 intake
Macht Schnell Downpipes
BC Racing coilovers
M3 control arms
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
griz31
Second Lieutenant
griz31's Avatar
121
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: BSM 1M #553
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I went back and forth between 275/35 and 285/30 (as youíve probably seen in my other thread). Glad the 285ís are working out! Keep us updated on how they are - Iím particularly interested in track performance if you get out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
E30 Racer
Lieutenant
E30 Racer's Avatar
United_States
117
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (2)

+1

Would also be interested in hearing how pronounced the effect of the smaller rolling radius of the rear tires is (i.e., on effective gearing).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
dnizzle
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 1m
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CANADA

iTrader: (0)

do you mind posting more shots of the front wheel/tire? how is the gap now?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
hunterl41
First Lieutenant
hunterl41's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnizzle View Post
do you mind posting more shots of the front wheel/tire? how is the gap now?

Thanks!
I'll take a few more this weekend.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Rikx1M's Avatar
Germany
354
Rep
1,985
Posts

Drives: VO 1M #739/740
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Where the car was born

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Why 285s in 30/19 versus original size of 35/19?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
hunterl41
First Lieutenant
hunterl41's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Why 285s in 30/19 versus original size of 35/19?
285/35 have been known to rub, especially with a passenger in the car. the lower profile gives a bit more clearance.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
340
Rep
1,284
Posts

Drives: 1-series M, X5 xDrive40e
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
+1

Would also be interested in hearing how pronounced the effect of the smaller rolling radius of the rear tires is (i.e., on effective gearing).
Not to hijack, but I am running a square setup 275/35-18 on the rear which is about 1/2 inch smaller diameter on the back. The added gearing is definitely noticeable, second gear is a hoot! My speedo reads about 7% low. My stock wheels have been used with 275/35-19 on the rear and that actually made the speedo perfect. The factory tires read a little low.

My factory wheels are going to get refinished, and I am planning to keep using 255/35 front and 275/35 rear.
__________________
Power mods: K&N panel filter, ER chargepipe, AD engineering FMIC, Mad Dad midpipe, BMS OCC, MHD, F10 550i clutch
Chassis mods: Ohlins Road and Track, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 convertible front sway bar
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #10
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
340
Rep
1,284
Posts

Drives: 1-series M, X5 xDrive40e
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterl41 View Post
285/35 have been known to rub, especially with a passenger in the car. the lower profile gives a bit more clearance.
I tried 275/35-19 in the rear last year and had to exchange them. They rubbed horribly. They would probably work with stock ride height and lots of negative camber. I am 5mm low and was running -1.7 camber.
__________________
Power mods: K&N panel filter, ER chargepipe, AD engineering FMIC, Mad Dad midpipe, BMS OCC, MHD, F10 550i clutch
Chassis mods: Ohlins Road and Track, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 convertible front sway bar
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST