BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
10M3
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Maintenance Question

Hey guys,

I picked up my 1M with 3k on it just before winter. Had it in a heated garage on charge since.

The car has low miles, but what should be changed / updated in order to keep her running strong?

- It has original tires. I am planning on replacing those with new PS4S.
- Oil change was done about a year ago. I will perform that as well (either myself or at the dealer).
- I aso replaced the air filter. The one that came out of it looked pretty much brand new.

What other maintenance should I look into?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Fresh fluids in general I would say. Transmission, diff, engine oil, brake fluid. That's a lot of sitting and not a lot of driving. And tires for sure! Enjoy!
      04-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Flava247
Rep
Drives: 135is

Not sure if the 1Ms have the same charge pipe problem as other 1series, but you will want to research that
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Just drive it and lube the seals. I'll take the PS2s, but I'd leave on If stored properly -All my oil changes are "low mileage" as the dealer would call it. Might want to just do a quick coolant flush, along w/ a brake fluid flush (every 2 yrs) AND yes the charge pipe issue does exist, mine cracked under warranty so had it swapped then replaced w/ an ER pipe. Congrats on owning a low mi 1M
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Welcome and congrats!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 03:20 AM   #6
godzilla-1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Please throw the tyres away as they are out of date and rock hard. This is a common reason why people crash. Put the best tyres possible on it and enjoy driving it. Congratulations on finding a lovely low mile example.
Appreciate 2
ayao627.50
///BYU268.50
      04-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Echo the above comments, mps4s are a great tyre.

When swapping out the oil, there is always alittle of the old oil left in the oil radiator, disconnecting one of of the oil lines, and using some small air pressure to force out the old oil, so its completely clean.

It's also worth checking when the spark plugs were last changed, with such low mileage, it'll be on age now. Not too difficult to change yourself.
      04-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

With only 3k miles it's probably on all original fluids. I'd do a full fluid flush- oil, coolant, transmission, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #9
10M3
Private
Rep

Thank you for the feedback. So as I see it:

1. Tires
2. Oil
3. Coolant
4. Transmission fluid
5. Brake fluid
6. Diff fluid
7. Spark plugs

Am I missing anything?

Where would I find the correct fluids for above?

The last thing I want is the wrong stuff to be poured in either by me or the dealer (if I decide to go that route).

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post

It's also worth checking when the spark plugs were last changed, with such low mileage, it'll be on age now. Not too difficult to change yourself.
Spark plugs wear out from age?
      04-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I'd put oil and brake fluid at the top of the list. Learn to do these services yourself; lots of good videos around (bavauto.com)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

Quote:
Echo the above comments, mps4s are a great tyre.

When swapping out the oil, there is always alittle of the old oil left in the oil radiator, disconnecting one of of the oil lines, and using some small air pressure to force out the old oil, so its completely clean.

Wait, what? I've never heard of this before.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Spark plugs wear out from age?
BMW changed them at 50,000 miles or 5yrs, judging by the age of the car, it'll probably need doing. I personally change mine every 2yrs, as I drive my car on track, and its not a difficult thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
Wait, what? I've never heard of this before.
Makes sense as there is always oil in the left radiator and pipes, the thermostat opens at a specific temp, pushing oil through the cooler. When changing the oil, this will most likely be shut. Some garages use a suction type system to suck the oil out, normally via the dip stick, but with the n54 it's not possible.
      04-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #14
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW changed them at 50,000 miles or 5yrs, judging by the age of the car, it'll probably need doing. I personally change mine every 2yrs, as I drive my car on track, and its not a difficult thing to do.

That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. They are metal and ceramic. Time doesn't wear them out.
      04-25-2018, 06:20 AM   #15
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. They are metal and ceramic. Time doesn't wear them out.
Amen brother
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #16
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10M3 View Post
Hey guys,

I picked up my 1M with 3k on it just before winter. Had it in a heated garage on charge since.

The car has low miles, but what should be changed / updated in order to keep her running strong?

- It has original tires. I am planning on replacing those with new PS4S.
- Oil change was done about a year ago. I will perform that as well (either myself or at the dealer).
- I aso replaced the air filter. The one that came out of it looked pretty much brand new.

What other maintenance should I look into?

Thanks!
Welcome. Where did you find a 1M with 3k on it??? Usually enthusiast auto group would have snatched them by now. Good find.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Welcome. Where did you find a 1M with 3k on it??? Usually enthusiast auto group would have snatched them by now. Good find.
Maybe he bought it from EAG . . . for 85k.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
10M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Picked it up from the original owner in CT. Doubt he is on the forum as he is an older gentleman who is simply downsizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Maybe he bought it from EAG . . . for 85k.
No. That's crazy.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      04-28-2018, 01:23 AM   #19
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I checked with Mike Miller on this recently as my car is coming up on being 7 years old with 5K on it.

As long as the trans and diff was done during break-in service, no need to change.

The oil should be changed yearly - and he recommends yearly on the brake fluid as well (not sure I agree with this part)

So really all you need to do is coolant, brake fluid, and oil. The others don't age per Mike.

You can email him for his lifetime maintenance schedule here:
mikemillerroundelmag@drivewheels.hush.com
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      04-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #20
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
I've been thinking about sharing a slightly different perspective for a while now. I hope everyone can see this for what it is. Just a different perspective.

First let's all agree to set aside for a moment how many miles/kilometers or years one can take into account for swapping parts that (in theory) wear out. I'm not in any way implying a metal and ceramic component degrades. We're not talking about that.

While I believe the majority of active posters here buy their cars to enjoy them, at the end of the day I'm sure we all hope to get maximum value out of the eventual sale of our vehicles. As a buyer I'm very concerned with service records. If I'm looking at a car and deduce the owner didn't change all parts on a fairly conservative cycle I'm going to lowball the offer and if not taken walk away.

I personally changed all of the following items shortly after buying my 33km 1M: tires, engine oil, brake fluid, transmission oil, diff oil, spark plugs, filters. Tires had some tread left on them, but I had no service records to indicate age. I did brake rotors and pads a couple thousand km after but that was due to clear need.

With my 1M I'm not interested in winning an award for keeping it running while spending as little money as possible. I would have bought a cheap Sylvia and spent my days shredding cheap tires if that was the case.
      04-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #21
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
I've been thinking about sharing a slightly different perspective for a while now. I hope everyone can see this for what it is. Just a different perspective.

First let's all agree to set aside for a moment how many miles/kilometers or years one can take into account for swapping parts that (in theory) wear out. I'm not in any way implying a metal and ceramic component degrades. We're not talking about that.

While I believe the majority of active posters here buy their cars to enjoy them, at the end of the day I'm sure we all hope to get maximum value out of the eventual sale of our vehicles. As a buyer I'm very concerned with service records. If I'm looking at a car and deduce the owner didn't change all parts on a fairly conservative cycle I'm going to lowball the offer and if not taken walk away.

I personally changed all of the following items shortly after buying my 33km 1M: tires, engine oil, brake fluid, transmission oil, diff oil, spark plugs, filters. Tires had some tread left on them, but I had no service records to indicate age. I did brake rotors and pads a couple thousand km after but that was due to clear need.

With my 1M I'm not interested in winning an award for keeping it running while spending as little money as possible. I would have bought a cheap Sylvia and spent my days shredding cheap tires if that was the case.
There is a big difference between changing based on a lack of service records, and changing just because. It has nothing to do with being cheap, and everything to do with tossing money in the trash for no reason!
      05-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #22
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post

Don't need service records for tires; can find date of manufacture on sidewall.
Appreciate 0