BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-02-2018, 03:47 AM   #1
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Body roll

What is the best solution for body roll. I’v been experiencing it in track mostly. Currently I’m running KW V3.

Will sway bar help? Front and rear?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Yes, thicker swaybars & adjustable drop links will help. Has the alignment been checked or set to a custom track setup? how much camber upfront? height adjusted correctly with the KWs?

What tyres are you using, pressures etc? all have an effect.
      05-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
Yes, thicker swaybars & adjustable drop links will help. Has the alignment been checked or set to a custom track setup? how much camber upfront? height adjusted correctly with the KWs?

What tyres are you using, pressures etc? all have an effect.
Iv done aligment based on stock setup.
Height adjustment not really just based on personal preference. Planning to do corner balance so that might change the heights. Tire pressure all 30psi after heating the tires.

For sway bar, any brand recommendations? Do I have to go for front and rear? I noticed Dinan only has front sway bar.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:42 AM   #4
alphagamma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 WRX, 2011 1-series M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooto82 View Post
What is the best solution for body roll. I’v been experiencing it in track mostly. Currently I’m running KW V3.

Will sway bar help? Front and rear?

Thanks
If you're talking about the deepest body roll (let's say the car is at maximum lateral Gs), generally the way to address that issue is stiffer springs or thicker sway bars.

If you're talking about body roll transitions, this is addressed with a combination of sway bar changes, spring changes, and proper damper damping.

I'm assuming you don't want stiffer springs, so thicker sway bars will be your best bet without compromising daily driving quality too much. However, do know that by changing the sway bars either front, rear, or both, the at-limit handling characteristics of the car will change.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamma View Post
If you're talking about the deepest body roll (let's say the car is at maximum lateral Gs), generally the way to address that issue is stiffer springs or thicker sway bars.

If you're talking about body roll transitions, this is addressed with a combination of sway bar changes, spring changes, and proper damper damping.

I'm assuming you don't want stiffer springs, so thicker sway bars will be your best bet without compromising daily driving quality too much. However, do know that by changing the sway bars either front, rear, or both, the at-limit handling characteristics of the car will change.
If you are tracking the car and are going to stiffen the springs, shocks I recommend you get more sidewall. Go 18s if you haven't already. The car can already get a little twitchy and stiffening it up might make it worse, especially the rear. suspension setup is an art. If you go too stiff and the car gets loose, it will actually slow you down. Some body roll is OK. It helps you turn-in especially in the tighter stuff. That is why some cars with softer setups are faster on tight tracks.

Just getting rid of roll sounds a little generic. A stiffer front sway bar will help a little but it can also cause understeer which you could offset with a little more negative camber, but then that might reduce straight line braking.....so you see, it's all give and take.

If you go too stiff in the rear, it will oversteer even more and getting power down is already an issue.

I have found that the fast people at the track are always willing help out. We have a couple of people here that track their 1Ms and I would reach out to them in case they haven't seen this thread.

Best wishes
Appreciate 0