E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Individual coming to US

11-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
JBM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi . . .

BMW Individual coming to US

Check out this

http://www.leftlanenews.com/?cat=3

BMW is planning to bring its ‘Individual’ program to the United States some time next year, according to Fast Company. Individual, a segment of the company’s broader M division, offers factory-installed mods and accessories. It offers a large menu of paint finishes, leather upholstery, antique wood facias, minifridges, DVD players, photocopiers and more. Currently, BMW Individual is only offered in Europe and parts of Asia. The report, which includes commentary from BMW executive Peter Löcker, also touches on the popularity of BMW’s M division as a whole. Columnist Ian Wylie likens the M following to the legions of Mac (and iPod) fans: “Like the cult of Mac, there’s a cult of M, complete with polo shirts, watches, and key fobs sporting the blue-and-red-striped M.”

Pretty exciting . . .
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

sweet, now I can get that screaming yellow car with boat style wood trim and white ostrich leather

that is cool though, all kidding aside
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM
Check out this

http://www.leftlanenews.com/?cat=3

Pretty exciting . . .
Hmmm....let's see now...$1 multiplied by 934,567.....uh

DAMN! :mad:
Apparently, if I had one dollar for everytime I heard that one I'd be about $65k shy of being a millionaire.
Oh, well...at least I could afford a 750.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335

Rich, are you saying you don't believe the report?

Man I hope it's true. That'd be PERFECT timing for the 335.

Does BMW individual offer custom paintjobs too or just interior options?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Did LeftLane beat me to it? My post from earlier: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8316
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
Did LeftLane beat me to it? My post from earlier: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8316
No, you were first
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm11
Rich, are you saying you don't believe the report?

Man I hope it's true. That'd be PERFECT timing for the 335.

Does BMW individual offer custom paintjobs too or just interior options?
Exterior colors and interior colors. Here's are two thread with pics showing what's capable under individual program

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5722
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

I'll believe it when I see it. American buyers can not be held to anything legally which is solely why the program has not be offered here. I'd guess we will see a large deposit if not full payment come with the program if it is offered in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
modeno
serve extra cold
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [9.08]
Quote:
" It offers a large menu of paint finishes, leather upholstery, antique wood facias, minifridges, DVD players, photocopiers and more."

Photocopiers! Geez ...its about time!! I was getting fed up with hauling my Xerox machine around in the back seat!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #10
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
I'll believe it when I see it. American buyers can not be held to anything legally which is solely why the program has not be offered here. I'd guess we will see a large deposit if not full payment come with the program if it is offered in the US.
As someone posted in another thread, it is likely they will offer packages. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=8316&p=98832
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #11
modeno
serve extra cold
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [9.08]
I wonder if the minifridge will have an ice maker ...that'd be dope.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 10:31 PM   #12
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As someone posted in another thread, it is likely they will offer packages. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=8316&p=98832

Either way, I'll believe it when I see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #13
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
Either way, I'll believe it when I see it.
I believe it will happen for this reason... almost all other luxury manufacturers allow factory customizations. The 5, 6, 7 series needs to be competitive instead of shopping out all that work to independent shops. There’s money to be made in the US while delivering a service the consumer wants. If there were major problems with custom orders in the US all those competing luxury brands wouldn’t already be doing this in the US. I've used the factory custom options on MB and Range Rover. BMW is one of the last to step up. And its easy for BMW to make this happen since its a solid program in Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
American buyers can not be held to anything legally which is solely why the program has not be offered here. I'd guess we will see a large deposit if not full payment come with the program if it is offered in the US.
This isn’t true. You sign a contract agreeing for payment for options just like any other deal. Its as binding as anything else. The only way you can get out of paying for it is if they do it wrong. I’ve been through this numerous times before with MB and Range Rover. Its not legal reasons that has kept the Individual Program out of the US. Granted, sometimes the dealer will eat a little cost but only because they know they can resell those parts. Case in point, a Range Rover I had ordered with wood trim. It was already on its way when I decided I wanted the black wood trim. I had to pay for it anyway (legally bound to pay). My dealer knew he could resell the wood so we agreed to swap with black wood for a reduced cost plus installation. Since I'm a great customer I was able to work a deal. But others would have been bound to pay.

These programs are almost all gravy for the manufacturers. There's a huge markup and the custom departments are one of the most profitable departments of any manufacturer. For those reasons I think BMW will bring it to the US before long.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #14
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335

What is the reason they haven't had it in the US anyway? I feel like US consumers are all about customization. We love personalizing things and getting "special" features. I'd jump all over getting an exterior color that not everyone else has.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #15
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This isn’t true. You sign a contract agreeing for payment for options just like any other deal. Its as binding as anything else.

False...a buyers order is not a binding contract in every state. It maybe in your state, but it is not in mine, along with many others.

Ex. If some random person walked into a US BMW Center, placed an individual order for an unusual color combo and later backed out, the BMW Center would have absolutely no recourse other than to keep the deposit that was given at the time of ordering. Then this dealer is stuck with a off the wall car that very well could be impossible to sell. This specific subject has been addressed in the Roundel several times in the past. BMW NA has always stated that the risk is too large for them and their dealers.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 03:03 AM   #16
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Wow all I can say it's about F****K time......dude somebody at BMW german must have told BMW NA, get off the pot you idiots....wow, I live in asia...and let me tell ya some sweet M cars running around wow, this is really gonna help their sales.......I am so pumped......
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 04:10 AM   #17
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

I think SCA is correct. In the US (at least in the states that I know of), a customer can refuse to take delivery of the car he/she ordered unconditionally. The customer might lose the deposit depending on what kind of agreement was signed, but because the car will not be delievered, the customer will not have to make the full payment.

As for Individual coming to the US, I don't think it's the real deal that we are getting. The writing on that leftlane site is just not convincing to me. Yes, BMW M Gmbh directing manager Ulrich Bruhnke has hinted over a year ago that he was interested in bringing the program to NA, but only partially.

The NA Individual Program has been in discussion ever since Bruhnke took the job. He's the force behind it, and expanding M is his ultimate goal. That is a very different approach from M's previous boss Adolf Prommesberger's. Prommesberger wanted to keep Individual as exclusive as possible. He wanted Individual to be an exotic brand serving no more than 10% of BMW's total sales. He was the sort of man who'd bring big-name designers such as Karl Lagerfeld to help creating an almost coachbuild-like brand.

I've been hearing the North American Individual will be pre-packaged on a few selected models only (it has been done before: E34 M540i, E36 M-tech 325is, E46 330i ZHP to name a few. We are just getting a wider range this time). In other words, you will still have a hard time trying to order an Individualized 3er at your average local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 04:22 AM   #18
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Sorry for off-topic, but I had to ask. maq, what building is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim
Photocopiers! Geez ...its about time!! I was getting fed up with hauling my Xerox machine around in the back seat!
lol. seriously though. Photocopier? I don't get it. am i missing something?
who the hell needs photocopier in the car..

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 09:19 AM   #19
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maq
I think SCA is correct. In the US (at least in the states that I know of), a customer can refuse to take delivery of the car he/she ordered unconditionally. The customer might lose the deposit depending on what kind of agreement was signed, but because the car will not be delievered, the customer will not have to make the full payment.

As for Individual coming to the US, I don't think it's the real deal that we are getting. The writing on that leftlane site is just not convincing to me. Yes, BMW M Gmbh directing manager Ulrich Bruhnke has hinted over a year ago that he was interested in bringing the program to NA, but only partially.

The NA Individual Program has been in discussion ever since Bruhnke took the job. He's the force behind it, and expanding M is his ultimate goal. That is a very different approach from M's previous boss Adolf Prommesberger's. Prommesberger wanted to keep Individual as exclusive as possible. He wanted Individual to be an exotic brand serving no more than 10% of BMW's total sales. He was the sort of man who'd bring big-name designers such as Karl Lagerfeld to help creating an almost coachbuild-like brand.

I've been hearing the North American Individual will be pre-packaged on a few selected models only (it has been done before: E34 M540i, E36 M-tech 325is, E46 330i ZHP to name a few. We are just getting a wider range this time). In other words, you will still have a hard time trying to order an Individualized 3er at your average local dealer.

Thanks for summing this up quite nicely maq.
I was getting exhausted just thinking about the potential of the
length of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #20
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
Sweet my next car will def be individual, but first I get to enjoy my new 330 which will be here in about 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 09:33 AM   #21
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
No easy-bake oven? What good is a mini-fridge if can't bake cookies too?

IMHO, if you want a photocopier and a friggin-fridge and all that crap buy a conversion van. I thought the 3 series was about driving? Are they going to make it in a pop-up camper model too?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #22
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I thought the 3 series was about driving? Are they going to make it in a pop-up camper model too?
Didn't see that one on Panke's project chart.

But hey, you never know.....
Appreciate 0