BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

2010 135i Coupe Brake Upgrades

Hi 1 Addicts,

Seeking some advice on upgrading my brakes, i have a good Indy mechanic that works on my car as well as a friend that works for BMW's iDrive department. I will be ordering the performance brake package hopefully at a staff discount and getting them installed by my mechanic.

I've seen a thread about using the wrong brake fluid and how that can lead to disintegration of the calipers and disks. I also hate the brake dust that accumulates from daily driving. Is anyone able to recommend a good aftermarket alternative and the correct fluid to use when installing OEM brake disks and pads?

I envision one day using the car on the track but no time soon. Might get powerflex bushings installed while he's there.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

I don't have experience with the brake kit you speak of, but i will add the brake dust is a result of the compound of the brake pad used. Fluid wont affect the brake dust, you would want to look into aftermarket pads (im not sure how the performance kit pads are but i would assume dusty)
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
Hi 1 Addicts,

Seeking some advice on upgrading my brakes, i have a good Indy mechanic that works on my car as well as a friend that works for BMW's iDrive department. I will be ordering the performance brake package hopefully at a staff discount and getting them installed by my mechanic.

I've seen a thread about using the wrong brake fluid and how that can lead to disintegration of the calipers and disks. I also hate the brake dust that accumulates from daily driving. Is anyone able to recommend a good aftermarket alternative and the correct fluid to use when installing OEM brake disks and pads?

I envision one day using the car on the track but no time soon. Might get powerflex bushings installed while he's there.
Just to confirm - you're ordering the performance brake rotors and pads right? Seeing as you have a 135i, you already have the same calipers front and rear, albeit in a different colour. IMO it's a waste of money to get the full kit including calipers. The pads that come with the kit will produce dust just like the stock pads - they are simply a grippier/higher temp compound than the default pads. Fluid won't affect your pads, you can use OEM BMW fluid or any number of aftermarket options. If you're not tracking yet just use OEM and worry about that after.

It will be difficult to find a pad compound that does not dust but yet performs for you at a track. It's one of those things where there is always a compromise. There are many threads about pad compounds, search the forum and they will come up immediately. Lots of experiences listed in that thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

Hi Asbrr,

I will be keeping the existing calipers, essentially just getting performance drilled disks, i was not aware the pads are the same as the performance kit.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
Hi Asbrr,

I will be keeping the existing calipers, essentially just getting performance drilled disks, i was not aware the pads are the same as the performance kit.

Thanks.
Ok makes sense. To be clear the M-performance pads are not the same as stock pads. The size of the pads is the same but the compound is different.

They just produce similar levels of dust I would say.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
I've found BMW OE pads to be horrible for dusting. If you're not tracking EBC Redstuff are a great street pad and virtually no dust. Huge difference from OE. They will however fade quickly on track. I had given up on finding a dual purpose pad until the Cool Carbon ST+ came out. Only available for the front, you pair them with regular ST's for the rear. Anyway, low dust (not Redstuff low but much better than OE), no noise and fade resistant on a light track day. Best all purpose pad I've found.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50