BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

"rattling"/metal on metal sounds front suspension (modded)

I've asked this in the local NE forums but wanted to put it out in the larger forums to see if I can get some advice.

Recently had the following installed on the car (128):

Ohlins suspension (r & t)
Dinan fixed camber plates
M3 front arms
H&R front sway bar
Adjustable end links (AKG)
Rsfb's
Apex EC7s 1 series offsets

Short story: shop that aligned it after install put on factory specs up front (very minimal camber) so it looks alright but I want it to have at least -2.2 on both sides to maximize grip on track. Can't go back to that place as it is in the Midwest and now I'm back here in NE.

So alignment aside, I recently developed the sound as stated above ONLY when on bumpy roads which unfortunately I go through every day. Highways no sounds at all as it's probably not compressing the suspension. Feels like it's a part of the suspension (the front sway may not be a good fit in there? this is what I am suspecting or the adjustable end links?) that hits part of the frame or itself or something. It's a solid "thunk" sound, like as if the suspension is loose or something. Metal on metal definitely. Did a visual without front wheels but nothing seems amiss.

I'm by no means a good wrench but have done basic jobs on this car (brakes, fluid changes) but was trying to get advice on what to check? I can most definitely say it's the front suspension. Just maybe not that comfortable working on it, but I probably should. Is this something I can do myself (have some tools on hand) before I take it to the pros (have appointments setup already in case).

Thank you for any advice. Sorry if it's been asked before.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
I've asked this in the local NE forums but wanted to put it out in the larger forums to see if I can get some advice.

Recently had the following installed on the car (128):

Ohlins suspension (r & t)
Dinan fixed camber plates
M3 front arms
H&R front sway bar
Adjustable end links (AKG)
Rsfb's
Apex EC7s 1 series offsets

Short story: shop that aligned it after install put on factory specs up front (very minimal camber) so it looks alright but I want it to have at least -2.2 on both sides to maximize grip on track. Can't go back to that place as it is in the Midwest and now I'm back here in NE.

So alignment aside, I recently developed the sound as stated above ONLY when on bumpy roads which unfortunately I go through every day. Highways no sounds at all as it's probably not compressing the suspension. Feels like it's a part of the suspension (the front sway may not be a good fit in there? this is what I am suspecting or the adjustable end links?) that hits part of the frame or itself or something. It's a solid "thunk" sound, like as if the suspension is loose or something. Metal on metal definitely. Did a visual without front wheels but nothing seems amiss.

I'm by no means a good wrench but have done basic jobs on this car (brakes, fluid changes) but was trying to get advice on what to check? I can most definitely say it's the front suspension. Just maybe not that comfortable working on it, but I probably should. Is this something I can do myself (have some tools on hand) before I take it to the pros (have appointments setup already in case).

Thank you for any advice. Sorry if it's been asked before.
How old are the end links? When my Bimmerworld end links finally expired (~20k miles) they would clunk over speed bumps and groan when I turned the wheel at low speeds.
      08-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
How old are the end links? When my Bimmerworld end links finally expired (~20k miles) they would clunk over speed bumps and groan when I turned the wheel at low speeds.
Thanks for the reply first off. They're brand new that's the thing. "Modified" though as they were too long so some of the thread was sawed off. Will it be a cause for this? Will it be good to take the undertray off and look at the sway bar's entirety? I'm just not good at this but i really want to learn. If i had an extra car I would take this thing apart.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

It's possible to install the front sway bar upside down and it will clunk...

ianc
Appreciate 0