BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
08135IFL
Private
Rep
Drives: N54 135i Coupe

New pads and mileage countdown question

I just had an independent shop replace the original front rotors with ECS 2 piece rotors and red stuff pads and OEM BMW sensor.

When they use their wireless OBD tool it says to enter the pad thickness. We estimated 9mm. However this only puts the mileage counter at 24,000 miles.

What is the correct mileage count for brand new pads? 80k?

Any suggestions on how to get the counter to be correct?

My rears also are saying 34,000 on the computer, but they are actually nearly new and should likely be 60k. Right?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

The OEM brake pad wear mileage indication that is generated by the computer is most likely based on a formula, as a result of testing, done by the Engineers to come up with a safe wear life for the pads. The pad sensors are not sophisticated enough to accurately determine the rate of wear based on your driving style. If you are driving mostly highway and little city, the rate of wear will be lower. If you do more city driving or are hard on the brakes (i.e maybe track time) with frequent stops, this will accelerate the rate of wear.

There's really no way to know how many miles the pads will last because each person has different driving styles. I would say for regular driving the baseline you should go by is as stated by the computer but expect that to vary depending on driving style. Again, all this is most likely based on OE pads and possibly the rotor material.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I think I'd fudge it to a mileage slightly less than how far the current pads lasted, as a reminder. It's something I keep an eye on and check most times I change my oil.

This is a "technology" that doesn't really seem useful.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
08135IFL
Private
Rep
Drives: N54 135i Coupe

I also have a 2011 328. The dealer put new pads on it and the computer says something like 60K remaining.

On the e82, I take the pads off when the computer says 35k are left, put new sensors and pads on and now the computer says 24,000?

So there isn't a baseline mileage left with brand new pads according to the computer?

I also inspect the pads routinely but the above computer issue doesn't make much sense.

So my concern is i'm going to get a brake pad low warning light soon when the stinking pads and sensor are nearly new. Will it constantly adjust?

Thanks for the replies, I'm new to the BMW computer issues.
Appreciate 0