BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Planning to replace passenger side suspension

Hi guys,

So I've been holding this job off since last Fall for many reasons, one being it will be my first time working on this much on my car, and second, twas too damn cold in my garage to do it!

Anyhow, I've posted here before that I accidentally ran over a low (but solid) curb on my way home last year. After the impact, I found that the Apex EC7 wheel on that side now touched the strut body I limped the last 500ft home (happened outside the apt complex) and parked it. Checked under there and nothing seemed amiss, but I was sure that the wheel was bent. I put on my 207Ms, and they cleared the R front strut, so the car was still drivable at that point. Took it for an alignment, thinking that this will solve it, it didn't. Camber was way too negative compared to the L. They knew I ran over a curb, so that's that.

So, over the next few months, I gathered all parts needed. People here said that it's better to replace ALL of the parts under there to be sure. And that's what I did. I got a replacement Ohlins R&T front strut ($$$), new M3 control arms, refurbished knuckle, new wheel bearing, pair of end links and new hardware.

So my questions are these, since it's my first time:

1. How do I go about doing this? Which part do you think should come off first, then what next?

2. I don't have a workbench to sort of install the wheel bearing into the knuckle, what's the most efficient way to do this?

3. I have an electric impact, metric sockets and all hand tools that I think is needed. I don't have a spring compressor (so might rent one or buy it) to be able to reuse the Swift spring on that R front side. I'm also not sure if I have the correct socket to take off the spring from the bent (?) front strut (I need a pass through socket set right and some hex keys?).

Obviously this is a novice problem. Most will probably bang this out in 2 hours. I'm afraid to take on too much but very willing to learn this on my own. It's not a DD anymore so I can take my time. I'm already booked on April 19 with a local BMW indy but will see if I can keep that only for the alignment part. I wanna save money and learn at the same time, what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Complete silence

I guess my only issue is since I don't have the bench to assemble the knuckle/hub assembly, it makes it slightly complicated than just taking the strut off. So to answer my own question, maybe i'll take the old knuckle off from the bent strut, attach my refurbished knuckle to it, then put the new hub in, then do the strut next. I don't know, maybe it'll work.

Or if I can assemble the new strut with the knuckle and hub while it's off of the car, that would be better and efficient.

Last edited by $iriu$black; 04-04-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

If the other side spring is very old, you should probably replace the springs in pairs.

I've done two suspension changes and the first time just took the knuckle off the car then pulled the strut out. I was changing control arms and figured that would be easier. No real issues except moving a fairly heavy assembly around but I had a helper.

Be careful with spring compressors! I bought the horseshoe type that are much safer than the bracket types. Or take the stuff to a shop to assemble for you. Shouldn't cost much more than buying the horseshoe compressors. Yes a pass thru socket is needed for loosening the strut top nut. They make a special strut nut sockets. Check out Schwaben on ECS tuning.

Can't offer any advice on the bearing replacement.
      04-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

I figured since all components will be replaced, I will do it this way:

1. Take OEM brake dust shield (for reuse)
2. Take old coilover strut off with the old spring that I will reuse as well.
3. Then take off the old control arms.
4. If I'm not gonna buy the spring compressors, I will bring in my new coil strut, knuckle, bearing and dust shield to a shop and have them assemble it. I will also have them install the old spring into the new strut. Will have to see which costs more, this or buying the compressor

5. Not sure which one to do first once all the above are done, put strut FIRST, then the control arms (I figured this is easier I don't have to worry about space constraints) OR control arms then the strut.

I may be overthinking this, but again it'll be the first time so the nerves take the best of me. But at least I can take the time to do it since it's not a daily. Any opinions on this technique I thought of? Thanks.

Last edited by $iriu$black; 04-23-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0