BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-16-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

PSS or Toyo R88?

which should i go for?
the car is not my DD. im looking for grip. i track my car once or twice a year. noise factor is also to be consider.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

PSC2's are very good actually.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 02:52 AM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Bridgestone RE-71, has really good performance on the street and under duress.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Toyo R888s are pretty noisy. Michelin Pilot Super Sport are a terrific all-around tire and wear well. Bridgestone RE71R is fastest non DOT-R tire currently available.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
R888 are great but super noisy. I love them on my track car which is hard mounted and full exhaust which drowns out the tire noise but on my primarily street driven e92 the noise of the tires became a little much. I switched to Toyo T1-sports on the e92 and am very happy. From your description of use, you would probably be better off with the PSS if you are only tracking 1-2 times a year.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooto82 View Post
which should i go for?
the car is not my DD. im looking for grip. i track my car once or twice a year. noise factor is also to be consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlümpfy View Post
PSC2's are very good actually.
Having used all three of these tyres I would say
PSS-ok as a road tyre, overheats and disintegrates on track.
R888-good on track, good road manners and sticky from cold, but really noisy.
PSC2-Quiet on the road. Not much grip when cold, but sticky when hot (not quite R888 level). Good option for a road tyre that will see the track.
AD08R- another option for a road tyre that is good on track. Not as sticky as PSC2 but cheaper and will last longer.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Might also need to factor in wet traction although I get the feeling it doesn't rain much in Bahrain.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
PSC2-Quiet on the road. Not much grip when cold, but sticky when hot (not quite R888 level). Good option for a road tyre that will see the track.
AD08R- another option for a road tyre that is good on track. Not as sticky as PSC2 but cheaper and will last longer.
I have a lot of time on track with the PSS and that has not been my experience driving them in 25 minute sessions in a 500+ rwhp 1M. The PSS has also been the most popular tire for the past two years in the One Lap of America competition.

Neil
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2015, 03:09 AM   #9
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I have a lot of time on track with the PSS and that has not been my experience driving them in 25 minute sessions in a 500+ rwhp 1M. The PSS has also been the most popular tire for the past two years in the One Lap of America competition.

Neil
my car is lowered, will PSS F:255/35/19 & R:275/35/19 will rub? thinking to stick with stock size and avoid any risk of rubbing
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Quote:

Neil
I have found that PSS are very pressure sensitive to get maximum grip on track once heated. They are awesome in the wet and on road manners are great.
Am very impressed with the AD08Rs ontrack, stiffer sidewall makes a difference and pressures tend to rise slower than PSSs, harsher ride on the road though.

Not tried PSC2s which hopefully bridges the gap
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #11
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

Neil
Maybe I was trying too hard but mine started to have chunks torn out after 5 laps.
It was when I first started going to the track so it is very likely.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #12
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
my car is lowered, will PSS F:255/35/19 & R:275/35/19 will rub? thinking to stick with stock size and avoid any risk of rubbing
That's the size I and several others are running. Car is lowered, not slammed, no problems with rub.
      08-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Quote:

Neil
Maybe I was trying too hard but mine started to have chunks torn out after 5 laps.
It was when I first started going to the track so it is very likely.
If this happened during your first foray into lapping, probably just over driving the tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #14
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
R888s are amazing on the track but loud so they might be out. I prefer the PS2s over the PSSs. If you want dual purpose I would go w/ PC2s. GL
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
You'll prematurely heat cycle out driving R888's everyday. Not to mention you won't get the full benefit of the R888's since it'll be hard to get them to optimal temps on normal driving. Stick with a street tire for the street.
      08-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
which should i go for?
Yokahama AD08R. Quite on the road, reasonable ride, better wet grip than PSS, and faster track time. As a track tyre it handles 10-15 laps without over heating.

Quote:
Agreed with PSS and AD08R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
You'll prematurely heat cycle out driving R888's everyday. Not to mention you won't get the full benefit of the R888's since it'll be hard to get them to optimal temps on normal driving. Stick with a street tire for the street.
You don't heat cycle the tyres unless you go crazy on the road. Normal road driving doesn't heat up the tyres enough, nor it even warms up the tyres. I had Pirelli Trofeo Rs and that was my concerned, but after driving 10k on the road between track days, and measuring the tyre temp after extensive road driving or even mountain roads, it doesn't heat up enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #17
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Yokahama AD08R. Quite on the road, reasonable ride, better wet grip than PSS, and faster track time. As a track tyre it handles 10-15 laps without over heating.

Agreed with PSS and AD08R.

You don't heat cycle the tyres unless you go crazy on the road. Normal road driving doesn't heat up the tyres enough, nor it even warms up the tyres. I had Pirelli Trofeo Rs and that was my concerned, but after driving 10k on the road between track days, and measuring the tyre temp after extensive road driving or even mountain roads, it doesn't heat up enough.
How were the Trofeo Rs?
So you actually used them on the road, not just to and from the track?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:26 AM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
How were the Trofeo Rs?
So you actually used them on the road, not just to and from the track?
Very fast on track - I even set a PB whilst one tyre has a ripped side wall (long story). Setting the pressure was a bit fiddly on track days - but if you manage the temperature well with 5-6 laps sessions - it doesn't heat cycle .

On road it is more quiet than the PSS and the ride is comparable. It is very slippery in the wet though, it rubs even in stock size at 3/4 lock, and it picks up every single bit of debris on the road which is quite annoying. Also, it is no good for winter (even Australian ones) as it becomes brittle around 5 degree. However, even on a cold day, performance wise, it is better than any road tyre. It doesn't need high temp for grip as it is temperature dependent.

The AD08R is much easier to live with.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 11:34 PM   #19
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
which should i go for?
PSS.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #20
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
No one has mentioned the RE-11. I have tracked them twice in addition to about 5-6 autocrosses and 12k miles. They are coming to the end of their life.

They are predictable at autocross, seem to reach full grip on second run (I wish I could reach full skills on second run, LOL!) but are obviously nowhere near as fast as the new RE71R's.

They perform well on the street and noise is acceptable to me.

They handled the track very well, and were driven very hard there. Fronts show excess wear on the outside as expected, but they did not chunk off, blister or cup at all.

As for fitment, they are wider than the stock Michelin's even though I got them in stock sizes. Mine rubbed on the fender liners at full lock, so I got the fender liners replaced with the new ones, problem solved.

In looking at potential new tires to replace them, I have looked at everything mentioned in the top of this thread with the exception of the AD08's with are just plain fugly. I keep returning to the RE-11 as the best all around tire for me for daily use spring through fall, minimal rain where I live, a couple track days and a couple autocrosses per year.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
No one has mentioned the RE-11. I have tracked them twice in addition to about 5-6 autocrosses and 12k miles. They are coming to the end of their life.

They are predictable at autocross, seem to reach full grip on second run (I wish I could reach full skills on second run, LOL!) but are obviously nowhere near as fast as the new RE71R's.

They perform well on the street and noise is acceptable to me.

They handled the track very well, and were driven very hard there. Fronts show excess wear on the outside as expected, but they did not chunk off, blister or cup at all.

As for fitment, they are wider than the stock Michelin's even though I got them in stock sizes. Mine rubbed on the fender liners at full lock, so I got the fender liners replaced with the new ones, problem solved.

In looking at potential new tires to replace them, I have looked at everything mentioned in the top of this thread with the exception of the AD08's with are just plain fugly. I keep returning to the RE-11 as the best all around tire for me for daily use spring through fall, minimal rain where I live, a couple track days and a couple autocrosses per year.

LOL.. Agree on the AD08 tread pattern.. it's garish for sure.. but there at least is some function for the form.. they are excellent on track..but they can be noisy also.
Appreciate 0