BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
NeedMoreTorque
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, mt

Question Working with CF Vinyl (Interior Trim)

So, after having my car for almost a year, I am finally sick of the faux-wood trim. I have ordered (and recieved) the CF vinyl made by 3m (1080 series).

Anyway, I have found a ton of good write-ups on removing and installing the trim, console...etc. So, I'm good to go with the actual process of getting the various trim pieces apart and prepped for vinyl.

I have also found a ton of good write-ups on using the carbon fiber fabric. But, what I am not managing to find are any detailed write-ups on working with vinyl in the interior. So, I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any threads from the forum or others that could help me get a better feel for how to work with the vinyl. I think I've got the basic idea, just looking for any additional tips I can find before I make any mistakes.

Just so this isn't a totally useless post, I also wanted to add the original spec sheets on the 3M vinyl...I found them pretty interesting.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...--&fn=1080.pdf
Highlights for me were the micro-air-channeling and the pressure sensitive adhesive, and ability to self-remove small scratches with extended, direct sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Practice on stuff before you apply to your interior trim, it will make it so much easier and less frustrating. Here is the 3M link:

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/

I dont know if this answers your question or will help but they have supporting video. GL

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
NeedMoreTorque
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Practice on stuff before you apply to your interior trim, it will make it so much easier and less frustrating. Here is the 3M link:

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/

I dont know if this answers your question or will help but they have supporting video. GL
Yeah, they have a few other videos on youtube as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
NeedMoreTorque
United_States
Rep

Also, does anyone have any good pics about how to lay out the vinyl on the different pieces of trim...center stuff is pretty self-explanatory...just wondering about the side-handles.
Appreciate 0