BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
InsideWorld
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i | BMW E91 328xi

235 Square Setup with FBO?

hey guys, I just bought some second hand niche targas for the summer as a temporary solution until the 1er goes wide however these rims can only fit 235 tire! do you think that will be okay for a summer or two with some new pilot super sports? the car makes close to 500hp and I have concerns about traction, is anyone else using a similar setup?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Do you plan to just putt around in town or what are your intentions?

235 section MPSS won't be enough to put the power down in 1-3 if you actually get on it.

I run 255 MPS4S, square for daily driving and I get some wheel spin in 1st and 2nd in a straight line and can get the back to come around even on a 3rd gear turn. I'm also nowhere near to 500 HP, N55 with just MHD Stage 2 Tune, Stock DP (because I don't want my apartment neighbors to have to deal with the noise and smell).

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
InsideWorld
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

235 section MPSS won't be enough to put the power down in 1-3 if you actually get on it.

I run 255 MPS4S, square for daily driving and I get some wheel spin in 1st and 2nd in a straight line and can get the back to come around even on a 3rd gear turn. I'm also nowhere near to 500 HP, N55 with just MHD Stage 2 Tune, Stock DP (because I don't want my apartment neighbors to have to deal with the noise and smell).

Just my $0.02
Quote:

Just my $0.02
thanks for the quick response and ya I mostly plan on driving around town but will also definitely be going to the track a few times this summer any recommendations asides from buy a bigger rim?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Just do what you gotta do.

Not much to offer in terms of suggestions. My thought process has always been an incremental suspension first, then small power gains as necessary.

The 235 tires on all 4 corners might make the car feel more neutral on track than the staggered setup that's designed to provide understeer for a safer experience (some theorize), but overall, if you take it easy and get to know the car, you'll have a decent experience on track and can get a sense for what the car needs to make it better.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
InsideWorld
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Not much to offer in terms of suggestions. My thought process has always been an incremental suspension first, then small power gains as necessary.

The 235 tires on all 4 corners might make the car feel more neutral on track than the staggered setup that's designed to provide understeer for a safer experience (some theorize), but overall, if you take it easy and get to know the car, you'll have a decent experience on track and can get a sense for what the car needs to make it better.
okay I think I'm going to just end up getting bigger tires on my rims, kinda forgot that was an option tbh lol do you know if I can run a 245 40 r18 square setup without rubbing?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideWorld View Post
Quote:

okay I think I'm going to just end up getting bigger tires on my rims, kinda forgot that was an option tbh lol do you know if I can run a 245 40 r18 square setup without rubbing?
Quote:
hey guys, I just bought some second hand niche targas for the summer as a temporary solution until the 1er goes wide however these rims can only fit 235 tire! do you think that will be okay for a summer or two with some new pilot super sports? the car makes close to 500hp and I have concerns about traction, is anyone else using a similar setup?
I thought you said you can only fit 235 on those wheels? Depending on offsets 245 might not fit, same goes for the 235 actually. Also, most people go 245/35 since that matches the OE rolling diameter.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
InsideWorld
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I thought you said you can only fit 235 on those wheels? Depending on offsets 245 might not fit, same goes for the 235 actually. Also, most people go 245/35 since that matches the OE rolling diameter.
Ya my bad I'm kinda a noob when it comes to the whole wheel game the rims are 8 inches and have a 40 offset, if I can't fit a 245 40 r18 then I will do the 245 35 r18 instead. I also have a few hub Centric spacers for front and rear ranging from 5 - 15mm
Appreciate 0