E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > So, am I the only one who cares that I can't see the radio with polorized sunglasses?

07-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
So, am I the only one who cares that I can't see the radio with polorized sunglasses?

I can see the climate control and dash displays fine, but I had to tilt my head to see the radio (on test drive). This sucks.

I read that this was an issue with the 745i and iDrive, when it first came out and they fixed it.

Will they fix this?

Should I just get iDrive?

Should I get non-polorized sunglasses????

WTF?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

How many of us wear the polarized? I too noticed it, but once I got used to the wheel mounted radio controls, I was OK. The other available displays (mileage, etc) I have in the center display instead.
They probably aren't going to do anything about the circles in teh rear or side windows eaither
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I Graphite

I wear polarized but I use my Ipod most of the time and if not I just use the wheel buttons so I never look at that display anyway. You would think on a car of this caliber they wouldn't make a mistake on something so silly though.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
viperssd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AW X7

this happens in my parents car when i'm wearing my sunglasses, you have to tilt your head 90 degrees to be able to read it

basically there is pretty much a uv filter on the display to reduce glare, with certain light waves, turning the filter 90 degrees will result in light waves 1/2 as bright. do it with two filters and you all of a sudden will be seeing nothing.

.....this would be the first car that i've seen this problem on.....
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

I wear Maui Jim polarized sunglasses and I have the same issue... I have a 745Li too and i had trouble seeing the display when wearing sunglasses. I believe if you order iDrive you will have the same issue...

I just tilt my head a few degrees left and it seems to help, rather than tilting it 90 right.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

polarized sunglasses are the best for driving!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I wear RayBan polarized shades and get this too! But it was also a problem on my e46 as well. I think it's just a feature of the type of lcd they're using.

Still, if you rock your head from side to side it's fun to watch it appear and disappear! Although be warned from the outside you look like a dork!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiweiwei
polarized sunglasses are the best for driving!

You can say that again! The first time I ever tried them on I was like WOW! No more glare! But it does stop you from seeing some of the digital instruments on the dash. But you can see the Navi screen with no problem though.

But you guys are right. BMW should have came up with something a little better by now, especially for those that didn't get the DVD navi.

Doesn't BMW know people who drive expensive cars probably wear expensive sunglasses???
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I noticed that right away! I have to look "over" the sunglasses Granny style or "under" the sunglasses Grampa style to see the display. But I'm not taking off my polarized Revos - the only way to drive!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus66
Although be warned from the outside you look like a dork!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 05:15 PM   #11
Robbie!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

I wear polarized raybans and it bugs me ..... my Audi A4 had the radio display on the instrument panel as well .. it was great. hey on that note does the logic 7 have RDS display?
      07-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
SiR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Doesn't BMW know people who drive expensive cars probably wear expensive sunglasses???
Dosent mean non-polarize is cheaper. I have two Oakleys and both are non-polarize lenses. Much better IMO then the third one that is polarized. It might have to do if its a lower quality (price) non-polarize lens may be really bad, I dont know. I just stick with Oakleys.

Then again, my job requires me to wear non-polarized.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #13
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
I can see the climate control and dash displays fine, but I had to tilt my head to see the radio (on test drive). This sucks.

I read that this was an issue with the 745i and iDrive, when it first came out and they fixed it.

Will they fix this?

Should I just get iDrive?

Should I get non-polorized sunglasses????

WTF?
Well it's highly doubtful that they will fix this. The same thing happens on my Ipod when I look at it from certain angles, and you can see weird patterns in the rear window and in other car's windows due to polarized glasses. They can't change all the windows in all the cars on the road, can they?

The polarized glasses block certain light and "glare". This "glare" is what makes the LCD on the stereo visible. It is still visible from certain angles, but unfortunately not from the angle that most of our heads are at.

Read this info from the Smith Optics website:

Quote:
How does a polarized lens reduce glare?
Smith's polarized lenses utilize energized iodine crystals that are positioned in vertical rows on a thin piece of film. This film is either sandwiched between two layers of lens material or injection-molded to create a molecular bond. The filter within the lens allows selected light rays to reach the eye while absorbing reflected glare or polarized light. When a polarizing film or filter is properly positioned in front of reflected light rays, the glare is blocked.
and

Quote:
How can I tell if my sunglass lens is polarized?
The easiest way to check the polarization of a lens is by holding the lens you are inquiring about over the top of a lens that you know is polarized. A liquid crystal display (LCD) or digital watch is polarized. Hold the lens over the watch on a horizontal plane and rotate it. If the lens is polarized, you will notice the watch display appears darker as you rotate the lens above it. If the lens is not polarized, there will be no visual difference as you view the watch through the lens.
I am afraid that we are just going to have to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
jetmechG550
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 325 Grey/Green

If you fly airplanes with EFIS, pretty much any "glass cockpit" you can't wear polarized sunglasses. You get major blind spots where the displays look blank. You have to tilt you head all kinds of funny ways to see what you are trying to look at. Anyway, it's not BMW, MB or Audi that designed their systems not work, it's just how it happens to be. I'm with SiR, only Oakleys for me too, mostly cause the offer one of the biggest selections in styles with non-polarized lenses. Unless your Bill Dance or Babe Winkleman, I think polarized are a waste anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 07:01 PM   #15
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550
If you fly airplanes with EFIS, pretty much any "glass cockpit" you can't wear polarized sunglasses. You get major blind spots where the displays look blank. You have to tilt you head all kinds of funny ways to see what you are trying to look at. Anyway, it's not BMW, MB or Audi that designed their systems not work, it's just how it happens to be. I'm with SiR, only Oakleys for me too, mostly cause the offer one of the biggest selections in styles with non-polarized lenses. Unless your Bill Dance or Babe Winkleman, I think polarized are a waste anyway.
I concur. I worked at a ski area for 5 years, and then the Forest Service as a firefighter for 5 years on a helicopter (so I spent plenty of time outside) and never used polarized glasses, and I was fine.

This year I bought some polarized sunglasses on a whim and they are nice, but they drive me crazy with all electronic devices from my cell phone, to my car, to my car stereo, etc. They help me see though water better, but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #16
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR
Dosent mean non-polarize is cheaper. I have two Oakleys and both are non-polarize lenses. Much better IMO then the third one that is polarized. It might have to do if its a lower quality (price) non-polarize lens may be really bad, I dont know. I just stick with Oakleys.

Then again, my job requires me to wear non-polarized.
Oh sure...Oakleys definitely make excellent sunglasses. Unfortunately I'd never be able to see out of them unless I get contacts or get the surgery. I have to get prescription sunglasses, and I know from experience since I always use the same frames, the prescription lenses cost about $70.00, plus sunglass tint costs about $50-60 more. Then when I say I want them polarized, the total cost comes to about $350.00 So when I was talking polarized, I was talking prescription. I forgot not everyone needs prescription like me
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 09:43 PM   #17
jetmechG550
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 325 Grey/Green

Get Lasik, best money I ever spent! That is if you can scriptwise.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 10:33 PM   #18
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
It happens on my cell too.

Someone mentioned the radio display early on and I made a point to check it when I test driove and yep can't see the display. But usually I don't change stations too often, so not a biggie.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 11:50 PM   #19
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I also wear the Maui Jim Titanium Sports... they are the best. Can anyone confirm what Sharp1183 said that polarized sunglasses won't affect the e90 iDrive screen? I guess they improved upon the one in onesixeight's 745Li.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
I wear Maui Jim polarized sunglasses and I have the same issue... I have a 745Li too and i had trouble seeing the display when wearing sunglasses. I believe if you order iDrive you will have the same issue...

I just tilt my head a few degrees left and it seems to help, rather than tilting it 90 right.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 01:07 PM   #20
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I am glad it's not just me!

Think I can spray some of that red-light-camera-evading-lisence-plate-stuff on the radio to create some glare and then I'll see it?

That would be hilarious.

Anyway, I just wanted to start a thread in the hopes that BMW could get some feedback on the issue (they really do read these threads).

If they fixed the 7, then there's always hope they'll fix the 3. Otherwise I better save up an extra $2k for the iDrive -- oops! don't read that last line BMW!!!.

We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #21
Cavolej
Rep
Drives: 330i SG Steptronic

I wear a polarized Oakley and have an i-Drive/NAV, everything seems to be fine, got no problem with it... Hope BMW can fix the problem for those people who does not have an i-Drive...
      07-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #22
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

if you hit your finger with a hammer and it hurt wouldn't you stop??

so if you can't see your radio with polarized glasses, why are you still wearing polarized glasses?

it's not a car problem, or a BMW problem it's just how LCD's work. BMW won't have a fix for current owners and they shouldn't be expected to.
if you want to see your LCD displays clearly you can't wear polarized glasses
Appreciate 0