BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
D.
Rep
Drives: M3

M235i

Anyone out there happen to know when the M235i will be available in the US Market ? I thought by Q3 this year, as a 2015 model.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.
Anyone out there happen to know when the M235i will be available in the US Market ? I thought by Q3 this year, as a 2015 model.
A bunch of them are at port now. Should be arriving at the dealerships any day now. My local dealer (Columbus, OH) is expecting a few next Monday.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

My local shop has one listed in inventory. No clue if it's actually on the lot or not.

http://www.schompbmw.com/new/BMW/201...5de447e9cd.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
That's what this forum's for: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/index.php
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
D.
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
A bunch of them are at port now. Should be arriving at the dealerships any day now. My local dealer (Columbus, OH) is expecting a few next Monday.
Thx Racer !
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

I drove our M235i today, Premium/Tech pack car. Steering feels over boosted and it needs a better diff/wider tires badly. Much twitcher than a 1M! It is more refined for daily drive but I was thoroughly unimpressed with it's body design.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
I drove our M235i today, Premium/Tech pack car. Steering feels over boosted and it needs a better diff/wider tires badly. Much twitcher than a 1M! It is more refined for daily drive but I was thoroughly unimpressed with it's body design.
Was it prepped for delivery? I mean, were the tires at the proper inflation?

Other than that, it's very disappointing. BMW is a driver's car and if they can't replicate that with the electronic power steering, then I'm out of the market for a new BMW. It seems that every other manufacturer has figured out EPS, I don't know why BMW can't.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
It seems that every other manufacturer has figured out EPS, I don't know why BMW can't.
It's not that they can't figure it out from an engineering standpoint...God knows they posses the engineering talent and knowhow to accomplish that task. It is that they can't make up their minds how Lexus/Audi like they want to calibrate it from a marketing standpoint to appeal to a broader customer base without losing the loyal customers they all ready have.

The days of "we build a driver's car" are long gone at BMW. Nowadays they want to build an Audi/Lexus and put a M badge on it just to satisfy people like you and I that are still clinging to the idea of what BMW used to be.

A "real" BMW is not the latest BMW, and the older the model the more qualities that you associate with "the ultimate driving machine" it will have. I have owned a multitude of BMWs since the 80's and I know this to be a fact.

They're pumping in synthetic "engine sounds" through the stereo for God's sakes...what more proof does anyone need?

There is a point where brand loyalty and denial must intersect. Point reached.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
so is it better than the baby M?
      02-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN M View Post
It's not that they can't figure it out from an engineering standpoint...God knows they posses the engineering talent and knowhow to accomplish that task. It is that they can't make up their minds how Lexus/Audi like they want to calibrate it from a marketing standpoint to appeal to a broader customer base without losing the loyal customers they all ready have.

The days of "we build a driver's car" are long gone at BMW. Nowadays they want to build an Audi/Lexus and put a M badge on it just to satisfy people like you and I that are still clinging to the idea of what BMW used to be.

A "real" BMW is not the latest BMW, and the older the model the more qualities that you associate with "the ultimate driving machine" it will have. I have owned a multitude of BMWs since the 80's and I know this to be a fact.

They're pumping in synthetic "engine sounds" through the stereo for God's sakes...what more proof does anyone need?

There is a point where brand loyalty and denial must intersect. Point reached.

Ein M, it's just you and me left!

Yes, nothing says posermobile more than fake engine sound. I agree, point intersected for me. The forced upon us iDrive, high-up screen, eletronic suspension and 16 ///M badges took me to the brink, but fake engine sound is too much.

What's worse is that BMW doesn't even give us the choice anymore. The rest of the world gets Alcantara base option. We get fake leather!

Canada can get it without idrive and the stupid view-blocking screen. We can't order it without electronic suspension, etc. Start-Stop by default.

The irony is that BMW has one of the most advanced just-in-time manufacturing systems that can easily handle different configurations but for the USA......NEIN..... You get bloatmobile version only!

I'm holding out last ray of hope for M2. I saw that they are dropping the LCD display in race version and hope they do that in M2 version.

But then I am also holding out hope for world peace too!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
Was it prepped for delivery? I mean, were the tires at the proper inflation?

Other than that, it's very disappointing. BMW is a driver's car and if they can't replicate that with the electronic power steering, then I'm out of the market for a new BMW. It seems that every other manufacturer has figured out EPS, I don't know why BMW can't.

BMW EPS for M cars is completely redesigned for the M3/M4. If you understand how EPS works then you know it's a matter of getting various algorithms correct. It's much more a matter of fine tuning than it is of being impossible. BMW M scrapped the entire previous EPS program and started anew with the F80 M3/M4 so chill for a while and check out that system and wait for the M2...

with regards to the " Every other manufacturer" ... Wanna give us the list of manufacturers using EPS that have it " figured out "

I'll take the one freebie.. Porsche.
So go ahead and add to the list..

PS... Better be a LOOOOONG LIST. if you want to back up your previous comment..... so go big or stay home...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-20-2014 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

Yes the car was PDI'd and properly prepped. As a BMW employee I have driven about every model vehicle we have made in 2012-2014 so I have a good baseline on the new systems that have been rolling out with the F series chassis such as EPS.

I am excited to drive the M3/M4 EPS after the interviews with the M guys saying they bested the E90. I actually think in the other F series cars I the M235i was the worst as it felt the most synthetic. I think the light weight of this car is why.

If you have driven a BMW X5/X6 with Active Steering that is the best way I can describe it. It turns more than you wanted it to turn and the effort was too soft and indirect even in Sport+.

Listen the car is spectacular on it's own, we just have a vehicle that is very hard to beat in the 1M.

I would certainly take an M235i over a 135i for daily drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
BMW EPS for M cars is completely redesigned for the M3/M4. If you understand how EPS works then you know it's a matter of getting various algorithms correct. It's much more a matter of fine tuning than it is of being impossible. BMW M scrapped the entire previous EPS program and started anew with the F80 M3/M4 so chill for a while and check out that system and wait for the M2...

with regards to the " Every other manufacturer" ... Wanna give us the list of manufacturers using EPS that have it " figured out "

I'll take the one freebie.. Porsche.
So go ahead and add to the list..

PS... Better be a LOOOOONG LIST. if you want to back up your previous comment..... so go big or stay home...
OK, so maybe that statement was a bit much, but BMW is the only one I ever read complaints about (Autoblog, C&D, R&T). It's also the only one that I've driven that I thought was absolutely terrible in the 5-series, and marginal in the F30 3-series. I sure haven't read the same complaints about Audi or MB.

I won't be in the market for a new car for about a year when my wife's 328 lease is up. When that time comes I really hope the new cars drive better than what they have now.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I'm holding out last ray of hope for M2. I saw that they are dropping the LCD display in race version and hope they do that in M2 version.

But then I am also holding out hope for world peace too!
I hear you brother! I have guarded hopes for the M2 too but I'm hanging on to the 1M until then...just in case
Appreciate 0