BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
rennwerkes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2013 135i, 1999 Z3M

Coding Help/Advice

Would like to pick up a coder for my car. Problem is that there are a few options and I was wondering if there's any general consensus on the most user friendly one out there. I don't mind paying (a reasonable amount) but would prefer not to deal with paying for yearly updates (Carly).
I see the BimmerGeeks being used by a few members here. But wanted to also confirm that you need to buy their cable AND their software?
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
rennwerkes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

By the way, I have both an iphone and a Samsung tablet so can use either ios or Android.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Bimmergeeks offers free software (NCSExpert/INPA) that I use and a cable to connect to your car. I think that is the cheapest option but it isn't user friendly.

They also offer software that is reportedly much more user friendly. But I think you can run that software using a blue tooth connection or a cable. But you need some sort of device to connect your car to your programmer regardless of what software you use. I would not use a bluetooth with NCSExpert for fear that the data transfer could get interruppted and the car messed up. Other software may protect you from that risk, I don't know.
      07-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

^
Good advice.

There are Carly and now a Bimmergeeks Pro Tool (long thread on Pro Tool on the E90 Coding sub-forum).

If you got the Std Tools route get a good cable. Bimmergeeks' cable is around $45 and has high reliability. The free download on Bimmergeeks site works fine. Just be aware Std Tools package is almost user hostile until you get to know it. After that it is very powerful and I've never heard of anyone making a problem with just coding. Flashing and programming are a different matter. Unless you're familiar with Std Tools, the terms and jargon alone are daunting but you can learn on here and other sites and videos. I just got into coding probably less than a year ago and feel very comfortable using NCSExpert and NCS Dummy. Another plus is the Std Tools package has INPA which is a diagnostic program. Unfortunately so much of INPA is still in German which is a problem for most.
      07-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennwerkes View Post
Would like to pick up a coder for my car. Problem is that there are a few options and I was wondering if there's any general consensus on the most user friendly one out there. I don't mind paying (a reasonable amount) but would prefer not to deal with paying for yearly updates (Carly).
I see the BimmerGeeks being used by a few members here. But wanted to also confirm that you need to buy their cable AND their software?
Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I bought their cable and software...and just use my Android Phone. I have coded quite a few things with no connectivity issues at all. All the modules have basic coding with very good explanations, and then they have the expert coding which goes way more in depth.

But with every update they release, the expert coding is being labeled with descriptions in English which makes things easier.
      07-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
rennwerkes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I bought their cable and software...and just use my Android Phone. I have coded quite a few things with no connectivity issues at all. All the modules have basic coding with very good explanations, and then they have the expert coding which goes way more in depth.

But with every update they release, the expert coding is being labeled with descriptions in English which makes things easier.
Do you mind explaining the difference between the basic and expert software?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:41 AM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennwerkes View Post
Do you mind explaining the difference between the basic and expert software?
Thanks

Sure......It's pretty simple. When online in the module, you will see a tab called "coding" which basically gives you access to all of the generic parameters that most people code first such as turn signal lights, park lights, brake lights, Angel Eyes, Digital speedo, etc. Everything is labeled in English and pretty self-explanatory.

Then they have an "Expert" coding tab that pretty much gives you access to every parameter available. All of it is in German, but they have now started translating English Descriptors into it so you know what it is without having to pull up Google Translate or something like that.

The cool thing about their program is it gives you the options to make back-ups of your current parameters...so if you change something that gives you unintended consequences....you just load your back-up and you are back to where you were before.
      07-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Making a backup is strongly recommended for using NCSExpert too. When you use it, you download settings from a module of the car's software in an ascii file. Everything is in German but you can find settings in on line forums. You change a setting and then upload the modified file to the car. I have always kept a tutorial handy for the steps. I do not find them intuitive but the basic process is not difficult to understand.

For instance, if you want to enable the digital speedometer the M cars have as an option where your car will now display miles per gallon, you change "BC_DIGITAL_V" to "activ". If you want it to read in true miles per hour, not 2-3 mph faster than you are going, you change "BC_DIGITAL_V_KORREKTUR" to "activ". Other settings you change "WERT_01" to "WERT_02". The car will only accept a pure ascii file so you have to be careful of how you edit it.

It sounds like the expert tab of pro tools is a bit more like NCSExpert. But without the somewhat confusing steps of downloading and uploading the settings.
      07-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Making a backup is strongly recommended for using NCSExpert too. When you use it, you download settings from a module of the car's software in an ascii file. Everything is in German but you can find settings in on line forums. You change a setting and then upload the modified file to the car. I have always kept a tutorial handy for the steps. I do not find them intuitive but the basic process is not difficult to understand.

For instance, if you want to enable the digital speedometer the M cars have as an option where your car will now display miles per gallon, you change "BC_DIGITAL_V" to "activ". If you want it to read in true miles per hour, not 2-3 mph faster than you are going, you change "BC_DIGITAL_V_KORREKTUR" to "activ". Other settings you change "WERT_01" to "WERT_02". The car will only accept a pure ascii file so you have to be careful of how you edit it.

It sounds like the expert tab of pro tools is a bit more like NCSExpert. But without the somewhat confusing steps of downloading and uploading the settings.
It is....I think that is where they were heading with it all along, something along the lines of a more user friendly NCSExpert. I had planned to go the route of setting up a laptop, but then figured I would only use it a few times...and then sporadically afterwards. The app fit the bill perfectly.

All of the expert settings are in ascii and in German. But like I said they have started adding descriptors. And they update frequently and have very good support.

Plus there is also the fact that you can use it across multiple BMW cars/platforms as it isn't Vin locked.
      07-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
rennwerkes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just ordered a cable and OTG cable for my Samsung tablet. Will update here once I get a chance to use it.
Thanks for all the advice and info.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00