BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #287
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush1 View Post
A 1M if I could find one
Always some 1Ms for sale. My advice buy one that has been well maintained and driven! Don't buy a garage queen
Didn't realize the price for a 1M was so high!
They haven't come down since they went on the market. Only car I know of that's held its price like that.
      07-06-2019, 12:18 AM   #288
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Well, I just bought an '08 M3. My 135i's torque is leagues above it, but man I never realized how floaty the suspension is. M cars just stick to the pavement. The throttle response on that V8 is also lovely.
Appreciate 1
Lucky1647.00
      07-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #289
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush1 View Post
A 1M if I could find one
Always some 1Ms for sale. My advice buy one that has been well maintained and driven! Don't buy a garage queen
Didn't realize the price for a 1M was so high!
They haven't come down since they went on the market. Only car I know of that's held its price like that.
Crazy!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:29 AM   #290
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
+1.

Can't go wrong with these or the right P-Car!
      07-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #291
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Now that I have a daily driver and have relegated my 135i as the weekend fun car, I may consider getting the new Supra....oh the horror......
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #292
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

A Mazda CX-5 Signature Edition! It has a turbo!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #293
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Usaf View Post
Well, I just bought an '08 M3. My 135i's torque is leagues above it, but man I never realized how floaty the suspension is. M cars just stick to the pavement. The throttle response on that V8 is also lovely.
I'm going the same route for those exact reasons plus need for more passenger space.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #294
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Just finished having a 4 cyl camaro as a rental car. To be completely honest, even as a base spec with an automatic, that car was damn fun to drive. Chevy has really nailed that chassis and the 4 cyl legitimately felt toss-able and quick. The visibility was admittedly not great, but also not as terrible as I was expecting. The view feels kind of like a race car and in half a day I was used to it. Also I’ve never really been a muscle car guy so I personally didn’t care about the lack of V8 or V6 noises.

I saw they make a 1LE version for the 4 cyl now as well. That could be one heck of a budget auto-x/track car off the shelf.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #295
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Just finished having a 4 cyl camaro as a rental car. To be completely honest, even as a base spec with an automatic, that car was damn fun to drive. Chevy has really nailed that chassis and the 4 cyl legitimately felt toss-able and quick. The visibility was admittedly not great, but also not as terrible as I was expecting. The view feels kind of like a race car and in half a day I was used to it. Also I’ve never really been a muscle car guy so I personally didn’t care about the lack of V8 or V6 noises.

I saw they make a 1LE version for the 4 cyl now as well. That could be one heck of a budget auto-x/track car off the shelf.
I admit that I have never driven the new Camaro, but I tried the Ecoboost Mustang with the performance package and I wasn't impressed. I have no doubt that they can post better numbers. The GT Performance Pack was faster around a track than an E92 M3, but that's only half the story. I've never been in a Corvette, Mustang, or Camaro that felt tight and controlled. Sure, you can sling them around a corner faster and their massive tires provide more grip, but the handling inspires no confidence. I'm shocked to hear the Camaro you drove felt tight, but maybe Chevy found a way to mask all that weight and bulk. The only two new cars that can match the feel of my 128 for under $60k (with a manual) are the Toybaru twins and the CTR. I'd love to pick up an M2 Comp, however.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #296
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I admit that I have never driven the new Camaro, but I tried the Ecoboost Mustang with the performance package and I wasn't impressed. I have no doubt that they can post better numbers. The GT Performance Pack was faster around a track than an E92 M3, but that's only half the story. I've never been in a Corvette, Mustang, or Camaro that felt tight and controlled. Sure, you can sling them around a corner faster and their massive tires provide more grip, but the handling inspires no confidence. I'm shocked to hear the Camaro you drove felt tight, but maybe Chevy found a way to mask all that weight and bulk. The only two new cars that can match the feel of my 128 for under $60k (with a manual) are the Toybaru twins and the CTR. I'd love to pick up an M2 Comp, however.
Yeah I’ll agree with you on the Mustang. I haven’t driven the ecoboost, but did drive the V8 GT at a buddy’s bachelor party when all the groomsmen got set up with muscle car rentals. Other than being fast as balls in a straight line, there was nothing else I found fun about it.

I think the tightness came from the lower weight of the 4 cyl and some good suspension and power steering tuning. I looked it up and the 4 cyl camaro is around 3,300lbs, which is 200lbs less than the eco boost mustang, and about on par with a lot of current sports coupes on the market.

I almost bought a new 230i before getting my 1er, and I think I would probably lean towards the 4 cyl camaro over a new 2 series, although I’d reserve final judgement on that until I was able to drive a 1LE.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #297
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Yeah I’ll agree with you on the Mustang. I haven’t driven the ecoboost, but did drive the V8 GT at a buddy’s bachelor party when all the groomsmen got set up with muscle car rentals. Other than being fast as balls in a straight line, there was nothing else I found fun about it.

I think the tightness came from the lower weight of the 4 cyl and some good suspension and power steering tuning. I looked it up and the 4 cyl camaro is around 3,300lbs, which is 200lbs less than the eco boost mustang, and about on par with a lot of current sports coupes on the market.

I almost bought a new 230i before getting my 1er, and I think I would probably lean towards the 4 cyl camaro over a new 2 series, although I’d reserve final judgement on that until I was able to drive a 1LE.
The newest mustang and camaro chassis are fantastic and nearly universally praised. Their days of being single purpose cars are long dead, chevy really nailed their newest platforms. I haven't driven the ats-v, but from what I hear it is among the greatest "feeling" fast cars built in some time.
Esteban43592.00
      08-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #298
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Have to respectfully disagree about the Corvette. I haven't driven the Camaro or Mustang. But I daily my 128i and drive my Corvette a fairly good bit when the weather is nice.

I have two exit/on ramps to the Interstate that I used to gauge them when I first bought the 128i. The Corvette is extremely more planted and confidence inspiring at speeds of 15+ mph more than the 128i...and does it with ease like it's asking for more.

Don't get me wrong...the 128i feels great and handles very nicely as it is equipped with the "sport suspension", but at a certain speed it leaves me feeling a little nervous like I am at it's limit and not wanting to push it any further.

I love both cars. The good thing about the 128i is that I can accelerate before I start coming out of the turn and not worry about anything happening while the Corvette will bite you if if not careful.

But by the time the car is straight and ready to hit the gas...my Corvette is easily going 15-20 mph faster. And then at that point...just a blip of the throttle and you are way into "ticket territory".

Not detracting at all against my 128i as it handles way better than I thought it would. Maybe some solid sub-frame bushings would remedy that though. But they are both great cars because the power delivery is so different.
      08-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #299
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

What would I buy to replace my one'er? Easy, since they no longer make the F40, Chiron. Is there any other car equal to a one'er?
      08-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #300
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Have to respectfully disagree about the Corvette. I haven't driven the Camaro or Mustang. But I daily my 128i and drive my Corvette a fairly good bit when the weather is nice.

I have two exit/on ramps to the Interstate that I used to gauge them when I first bought the 128i. The Corvette is extremely more planted and confidence inspiring at speeds of 15+ mph more than the 128i...and does it with ease like it's asking for more.

Don't get me wrong...the 128i feels great and handles very nicely as it is equipped with the "sport suspension", but at a certain speed it leaves me feeling a little nervous like I am at it's limit and not wanting to push it any further.

I love both cars. The good thing about the 128i is that I can accelerate before I start coming out of the turn and not worry about anything happening while the Corvette will bite you if if not careful.

But by the time the car is straight and ready to hit the gas...my Corvette is easily going 15-20 mph faster. And then at that point...just a blip of the throttle and you are way into "ticket territory".

Not detracting at all against my 128i as it handles way better than I thought it would. Maybe some solid sub-frame bushings would remedy that though. But they are both great cars because the power delivery is so different.
Yeah, when I said earlier that there isn't anything out there to replace my 135i, I meant because it's a small car with usable backseats, but I also meant with all of the M3 suspension parts, new shocks/springs, RSFBs, etc. If I was forced to keep a car stock, especially in terms of suspension, I'd pick the M2C, but, with mods, the 128i/135i is hard to beat.
Appreciate 2
Gangplank1540.50
Rmtt8211.00
      08-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #301
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

Your Corvette is probably about as far from stock as you can get . I shouldn't include the Corvette since I haven't driven anything newer than a C5, but I wasn't a fan of the base or even the Z06 C5. They could post some amazing numbers, but they always felt a little loose to me. I actually preferred the way the GTO felt, but it was no lightweight either.

For me the 1er is right in that sweet spot of heft and nimbleness. My son-in-law's NA Miata is light as a feather and amazingly nimble, but it also feels like driving a tin can. The Toybarus felt a little like that as well, but they are fun. I just love the way my 1er handles spirited street driving. It feels rock solid over road imperfections, but so much lighter than a Camaro/Mustang/G37, or most other 2+2s out there.

I saw an Evora the other day and fell in love. If it weren't for Lotus' stellar reputation for longevity, I might try to pick up a lightly used one.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      08-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #302
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I saw an Evora the other day and fell in love. If it weren't for Lotus' stellar reputation for longevity, I might try to pick up a lightly used one.
Yeah, the Evora looks incredible. At least Lotus uses a Toyota drivetrain now!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #303
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Yeah, the Evora looks incredible. At least Lotus uses a Toyota drivetrain now!
The sound was glorious, lots of pops with a raspy growl. I've never heard a Camry sound like that before!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #304
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The sound was glorious, lots of pops with a raspy growl. I've never heard a Camry sound like that before!
Whew, I just find out that doing a clutch job on the Evora requires the rear clam to come off and is something like a 30 hour, $10K job.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #305
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

After 9 years and 77k miles with my 128i, I am about to part ways with it. Loved evry minute with that car and I haven't found too many cars that excited me enough to replace it with but my needs have changed. Just bought a Genesis G70 3.3t and I have to say it has a fantastic chassis and engine. I will miss the manual and the Performance exhaust but the G70 has a few good attributes.
      08-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #306
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
After 9 years and 77k miles with my 128i, I am about to part ways with it. Loved evry minute with that car and I haven't found too many cars that excited me enough to replace it with but my needs have changed. Just bought a Genesis G70 3.3t and I have to say it has a fantastic chassis and engine. I will miss the manual and the Performance exhaust but the G70 has a few good attributes.
If only they offered the manual with the V6 engine, I'd very strongly consider one.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #307
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

I basically gave up on the manual (I know shame on me): no RWD sport sedan with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine offering it today, so it is gone. For a while, I thought about an M2 or a loaded M240i but as I mentioned, my needs are different and a Coupe is no longer an option, there goes the manual
The G70 4 cyl with the manual does not seem like it is much fun, plus you can only get it with the stripped-down trim. The V6 was a must-have (I despise 4 cylinder engines)/
      08-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #308
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Whew, I just find out that doing a clutch job on the Evora requires the rear clam to come off and is something like a 30 hour, $10K job.

I replaced the 1'er with 2 Lotus. The current car is a 2016 Exige CR.

35,000km and about 17 days of track workouts every year. It's been awesome.

The clutch has been done for about a third of that cost. To defend the standard clutch mine has 410hp and 430ft/lbs at the rear wheels and weighs 2460lbs with a full tank. 😊