BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Air Intake Pipe Cracked...

So I was driving through the desert a few days ago when there was a loud bang and the car went into 'limp mode'. Checking the forum, I assumed it was the charge pipe.

Here in Israel, the car is out of warranty, and BMW want 6,000NIS (~$1,800) to fix it. Now I've done searches, and I'm planning to buy a 3rd party charge pipe (that amount for an OEM charge pipe that'll just pop again is just extortion).

So, before I go ahead: quick (and probably stupid) question - BMW have said the problem is with the "air intake" - I assume this is this the same same as the charge pipe. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
Siddy
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135I

Dude! I'm having the same problem with my 2009 BMW135i. I heard a pop sound & my car went into limp mode. The air intake pipe is broken & this parts is costing me around $600 at the dealer in the US. I'm looking for other options.

Will post here. If I find out any better alternatives.

~ Siddy.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Siddy - sucks, right? But is the air intake pipe THE SAME as the charge pipe?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Air intake pipe is not the same as the charge pipe. My understanding is that the air intake channels outside air (the "ambient" air) into the intake manifold. The charge pipe channels the cooled air from the intercooler (the "charged" air from the turbo) into the intake manifold.
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
Air intake pipe is not the same as the charge pipe. My understanding is that the air intake channels outside air (the "ambient" air) into the intake manifold. The charge pipe channels the cooled air from the intercooler (the "charged" air from the turbo) into the intake manifold.
Is this by any chance seated beneath the car? I ask as there was some nasty road debris that took a whack at the underbody about half an hour before the 'bang'.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_alchemist View Post
Is this by any chance seated beneath the car? I ask as there was some nasty road debris that took a whack at the underbody about half an hour before the 'bang'.
No, the charge pipe is not underneath the car. The OEM charge pipe is a black pastic pipe that sits below and slightly to the side of the OEM air intake box.

Here's what the OEM charge pipe looks like (when the stock air intake box is removed):

More info on broken charge pipes in 1Ms can be found in Artemis' "Log for acknowledged/known 1M issues":
issue #5c: power loss (engine going into limp mode)
cause: popping/cracked charge pipe (charge pipe over flange on intake manifold with a large C-clip loosening or breaking)
action: refitting of the charge pipe when loosened or blown off - replacement of the charge pipe when broken
part #: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=13&fg=20 (05 Charge air induction tract)
threads: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568915 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693759 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680132 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773300 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879606 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932282 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950428
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Start by checking the CP if it has any cracks.
As stated above just remove the intake and the CP should be very easy to reach and check.
Very common for the Plastic OE CP to fail
Changed mine 2 days ago

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Just try to see beside the air box with a flash light..

i test drove mine before i bought it.. and the charge pipe blew off..
or cracked..
i believe i doesn't has to be cost that high for just a charge pipe..

Get Evolution racewerks charge pipe.. I had it twice already..
just got mine installed today.. its way cheaper than 1800 for sure..

its a common issue for us all
      06-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, the charge pipe is not underneath the car. The OEM charge pipe is a black pastic pipe that sits below and slightly to the side of the OEM air intake box.

Here's what the OEM charge pipe looks like (when the stock air intake box is removed):

More info on broken charge pipes in 1Ms can be found in Artemis' "Log for acknowledged/known 1M issues":
issue #5c: power loss (engine going into limp mode)
cause: popping/cracked charge pipe (charge pipe over flange on intake manifold with a large C-clip loosening or breaking)
action: refitting of the charge pipe when loosened or blown off - replacement of the charge pipe when broken
part #: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=13&fg=20 (05 Charge air induction tract)
threads: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568915 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693759 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680132 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773300 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879606 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932282 - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Start by checking the CP if it has any cracks.
As stated above just remove the intake and the CP should be very easy to reach and check.
Very common for the Plastic OE CP to fail
Changed mine 2 days ago
I asked if the AIR INTAKE PIPE is underneath the car.

I know where the charge pipe is (it doesn't seem cracked to the naked eye, but may have been cracked where I can't see).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Unless the road debris demolished the undertray, extremely unlikely that this contributed to your issue.

Although rare, I know of instances where the intake running from the airbox to the rear turbo has become detached, but I've never heard of it cracking. This detachment has occurred mostly after shoddy installation of a replacement turbo.

It's very common, however, for the charge pipe to crack.

Even if the former, no way it should cost anywhere closer to $1,800 to replace!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Since your car is out of warranty, why don't you take it to a reputable shop instead of BMW and let them have a look and diagnose the issue as well. I think the service might be naming the issue erroneously. If it is really the charge pipe rather than intake, it will cost you much less to just go ahead and buy a good aftermarket one. I doubt the diagnose of the service as a starter and in any case it doesn't make sense to repair it there once you are out of warranty.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 1
buddalun679.00
      06-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Given that you heard a bang and the car then went into limp mode, I'll lay odds that it was the charge pipe. And it is essentially an "air intake" in most basic terms. Look for separation just under the silver throttle assembly in the photo; that's where mine has broken twice.
      06-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
SabreE82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey M-Sport 135i

Air intake pipes wouldn't cause limp mode. The front is not hard to replace, the rear however...

Like everyone said, loud pop followed by limp mode seems to indicate either IC piping or charge pipe. Any codes?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
Air intake pipes wouldn't cause limp mode. The front is not hard to replace, the rear however...

Like everyone said, loud pop followed by limp mode seems to indicate either IC piping or charge pipe. Any codes?
I'll check codes and post...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
Quote:
I asked if the AIR INTAKE PIPE is underneath the car.

I know where the charge pipe is (it doesn't seem cracked to the naked eye, but may have been cracked where I can't see).
In your response you said "Is this by any chance seated beneath the car?" - you were not clear that you were asking about the air intake pipe. I assumed you were referring to the subject of my response, i.e., the charge pipe.

In any case, depending on your definition, there are many different pipes that make up our car's "air intake" system. For example, to me the intake piping consists of:

1) Snorkel and air box - this is situated on top of the engine and is the first thing you see when you open the hood (it's the big box that says "BMW"):

2) Turbo intake ducting - these pipes connect the airbox to the turbo compressors. They are situated below the airbox on the front and rear of the engine (the flat curvy black pipes in the pictures below):

3) Intercooler ducting - these are the pipes on both ends of the intercooler that move the compressed air from the turbo compressor to the intercooler and then from the intercooler to the intake manifold (this includes the infamous "charge pipe"):

As MDORPHN said, I don't see how any of the above pipes could be damaged by road debris impacting with the underbody of your car.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #16
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

"As MDORPHN said, I don't see how any of the above pipes could be damaged by road debris impacting with the underbody of your car." - Especially since it's all contained in a somewhat enclosed environment given that the belly pan would help block debris from flying up into the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #17
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
In your response you said "Is this by any chance seated beneath the car?" - you were not clear that you were asking about the air intake pipe. I assumed you were referring to the subject of my response, i.e., the charge pipe.

In any case, depending on your definition, there are many different pipes that make up our car's "air intake" system. For example, to me the intake piping consists of:

1) Snorkel and air box - this is situated on top of the engine and is the first thing you see when you open the hood (it's the big box that says "BMW"):

2) Turbo intake ducting - these pipes connect the airbox to the turbo compressors. They are situated below the airbox on the front and rear of the engine (the flat curvy black pipes in the pictures below):

3) Intercooler ducting - these are the pipes on both ends of the intercooler that move the compressed air from the turbo compressor to the intercooler and then from the intercooler to the intake manifold (this includes the infamous "charge pipe"):

As MDORPHN said, I don't see how any of the above pipes could be damaged by road debris impacting with the underbody of your car.

Hope this helps.
Great post! Those pictures were really informative.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #18
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

The problem with getting the car checked elsewhere is that Israel does not have a normal, developed automotive economy. Due to punitive taxation, state supported oligopolies, and general incompetence, there are very few reliable capable third-party garages around. As well as ascertaining the actual problem and the best, most cost-effective repair, I will have to find a suitable third party to carry out the repairs. No easy feat.

I hope to get the part number today and will keep you posted. Thanks for all your help so far...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #19
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

OK everyone... the part number is (drum roll please):

B-13717590305

In hebrew it's listed as "צינור למד זרימת אוויר 82" which in English roughly translates to "Air-flow pipe 82"...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #20
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

'82' probably just stands for E82.

The part number is the charge pipe. It's No.5 on the diagram.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #21
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks so much. Nice to see that BMW Israel are charging $1,500 for a $200 part. Insane.

Quick question: if I went with the Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe, should I also go for the Forge Diverter Valves at the same time? What will be the noticeable difference in driving?

Last edited by urban_alchemist; 06-24-2014 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #22
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Thanks so much. Nice to see that BMW Israel are charging $1,500 for a $200 part. Insane.

Quick question: if I went with the Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe, should I also go for the Forge Diverter Valves at the same time? What will be the noticeable difference in driving?
If you're running a stock tune (and stock boost levels), the stock diverter valves will be fine.

Neil
Appreciate 0