BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
mex1can
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Keeping my 1M Clean

I have just completed the 2000km service on my fully loaded BSM.

I absolutely love this car, even more after pressing the "M" button only after the run in period... yes , I can't believe it either.

The only problem I have is keeping the car clean!!!

I have been to many touchless car washes, even the coin-op one's, but they don't get the road dirt off. It looks good during and after the wash but once it's dry the dirt is still there.

The real answer is to get it detailed but I don't see myself spending $150 every week.

SOOOOO... Does anyone wash their car by hand?

What is the best cloth to use to eliminate scratching?

Ideally I could give it a once over with the hose and "scratch free" cloth to remove the dirt before the touchless car wash.

Spring is almost here, so any feedback would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Wash it by hand. Do not use the touch-less carwash. Buy some microfiber cloths and wash mitts. Check this site out for thing you will need.

http://www.detailedimage.com/

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

isn't there a section here dedicated to cleaning and detailing?

sounds like you need to start with the basics if you think a touchless wash is good for anything but a rinse, I use them between weekend hand wash. Be sure to read up on it or you'll be leaving scratches all over your car.

have you not owned a car you've cleaned before?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
LeeD31
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3\EB 328xi Tour\G01X3

Never use touchless wash. Hand wash only with two bucket system. Or if you're in a rush, use a coin wash but don't spray too close to the car.

Investing in a good wax will make your car easier to wash. I suggest swissvax.

www.autoobsessed.com

Karmaloop Rep Code: 'DUBST3P' for 20% off your order @ www.karmaloop.com
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
wan888
Xman
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93 323ci

I have a few black cars and I hate those swirl marks aka spider webs. What i do is I'll take it to detail once every 6 months and then polish it every 3 weeks.

My black cars are practically mint
E93 323ci (converted to M3 look)
Z3M Roadster (race prep)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mex1can View Post
I have just completed the 2000km service on my fully loaded BSM.

I absolutely love this car, even more after pressing the "M" button only after the run in period... yes , I can't believe it either.

The only problem I have is keeping the car clean!!!

I have been to many touchless car washes, even the coin-op one's, but they don't get the road dirt off. It looks good during and after the wash but once it's dry the dirt is still there.

The real answer is to get it detailed but I don't see myself spending $150 every week.

SOOOOO... Does anyone wash their car by hand?

What is the best cloth to use to eliminate scratching?

Ideally I could give it a once over with the hose and "scratch free" cloth to remove the dirt before the touchless car wash.

Spring is almost here, so any feedback would be appreciated.
I only wash by hand!

Go to Costco and buy a bag of yellow microfiber cloths for $15. You can use them for quick detailer, taking wax off, drying door sills and anything. I use Shammy because it has alwasy worked for me, but synthetic shammy is probably fine.

The important thing is use car wash not dish soap and wash the car in the evening a couple of hourse before it gets dark. Don't wash the car in the middle of day when it's hot or it will water spot. Keep the car waxed. I use Meguiars #26 wax a every two months. It's not a cleaner wax, just wax. I only use cleaner/polish when needed. Cleaner waxes will scratch over time if over used as they have mild abrasives. Finally, get a bottle of Meguiars quick detailer. You spray it on bird crap or stuff that sticks to the paint in between washes to prevent it from damaging the paint. You wipe it off with a super soft costco microfiber.

Finally, if you get crap stickng to the paint a fine grade claybar and Meguiars quick detailer will get that off.
Appreciate 0