BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
pondo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Question Order car with trade in?

Basically my trade in is going to dictate if I can purchase the 135. How does a dealership handle a trade-in when you are going to place an order? Do they guarantee you a price on the day of delivery as long as the car is in equal shape or what?

I could sell the car on my own, but I really don't have the time nor the patience to deal with the entire ordeal.

I've never bought a new car before so this is a bit new to me.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

I get a guaranteed trade-in price before ordering with a limit on mileage.

Call
      01-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
I get a guaranteed trade-in price before ordering with a limit on mileage.

Call

Do the do that? If they do it will be a pathetic offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
smoke20
Rep
Drives: Dodge Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
Do the do that? If they do it will be a pathetic offer.
I think they will be willing to work with you in today's climate.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

There is no way to predict the value of your car 1-3 months away...stop at Car Max if you can and get a today number ( wholesale ). Then try and sell it on your own for 3-4k more,if you sell it at retail,rent a car for a month....many people have had very good results posting on Craigslist...btw,if a dealer is willing to give you a number today based on market value 1 -3 months from now,expect a very low number.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

Actually depending on your State, but many States do not require sales tax to be collected when the sell is between individuals. So make sure when you compare what an individual offers verus the trade-in allowance plus the sales tax savings you may come out better or so close it isn't worth it to fool with listings a individuals and potential scams.

Many times I will buy a vehicle that I know will be cheaper that what the dearler may offer me and then trade that vehicle in on a new vehicle just to save the sales tax.

For instance because I have a very good relationship with the dealers I do business with I ask what would be the trade-in allowance on a certain vehicle if I either order or pick up on th lot. Then I shop for that vehicle and attempt to get it a few hundred to a few thousand dollars less then trade it in. The savings between what I paid and the trade-in plus the sales tax savings can add up real quick.

I once purchased an 04 MCS for $14K then received a trade-in allowance of $19K on my present 05 MCS Cabrio...that was a quick $6330 difference. I purchased an 06 MC JCW for $27K then received $31K trade-in allowance on my 335i...another quick $6170.

The key is getting the vehicle you plan to trade in for less than what the dealer will pay you for it. It can be done with patience and a great dealership that will work with you.

Call
      02-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
I ordered my car and agreed on a trade-in amount that same day. I got the car 6 weeks later and they took the trade with the agreed upon price. I have to tell you though....I was so paranoid I was going to get into an accident those 6 weeks! The moment I pulled into the dealership to pick up the 135, I turned off the ignition in the old car and said.."WHEW"! LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

My dealer quoted me a really low ball price for my old BMW, but luckily I was able to order the 135 without any down payment. So when the new car came in, I stopped by CarMax and they gave me a price (wholesale), but also what I should get for a trade in and this was all in writing. So they I went to the dealer to pick up my new 135 armed with the CarMax figures and they didn't even argue since I had it in writing, so they gave me the full trade in price that CarMax had quoted plus and extra $500 (I fudged the price I told them by that amount). This netted me about $2,000 over what the dealer had quoted before I ordered the car. I am not sure this would have worked if I had given a deposit on the 135 as they were asking most other people who ordered the car for $1,000 deposit. Not sure if they forgot to collect it or if they just knew I really wanted the car and had order two other new cars from them before. I think they forgot to collect it since the salesman who I had been working with was tied up when I came in to order and another salesman took the order with my CA's name on it as a favor to him.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondo View Post
Basically my trade in is going to dictate if I can purchase the 135. How does a dealership handle a trade-in when you are going to place an order? Do they guarantee you a price on the day of delivery as long as the car is in equal shape or what?

I could sell the car on my own, but I really don't have the time nor the patience to deal with the entire ordeal.

I've never bought a new car before so this is a bit new to me.

Thanks!
Honestly, if that's your financial situation...now is probably not the time for you to be buying a car. Especially in this financial climate.

Don't want to be mean, but save some money. They'll still be selling 1ers next year.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondo View Post
In trading my Z4 in on a 128i last April, I asked for and got a figure from my dealer that was firm for 3 weeks. During that time, I tried to sell it privately with no serious offers, and received an offer from CarMax which exactly matched that of the dealer.

In my state, sales tax is paid on the difference between the new car & trade-in, so I wound up saving over $1k by taking the dealer's offer. As I was lucky enough to have another car as my DD, I turned the Z4 into the dealer after the 3 weeks.

If you don't have another vehicle to drive (and you can figure 6~8 weeks for delivery), the real issue will be whether the dealer's trade in price will be good until your new car arrives.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

I think you came out best by trading the Z in but what I don't really like is the time they had your car before you took delivery of your ONE. One question, did the dealership have to keep the Z on the lot and not sell it before you took delivery of the ONE? If so, they were able to sell your car, making a ton of money on it with no investment. And they were able to sell you that new car with no investment. I wish I could do that!

I kept my car until I took delivery of my ONE and got what I was promised three months before hand.

Call
      02-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

As my 128i was delivered to me about 3 weeks after I turned the trade in and the market for Z4s was pretty bad at the time, I doubt that they made that much of a profit on the trade. I have no idea when and how they sold it but once I turned it in, the dealer's only obligation was to credit the price against the 128i.

I suspect that I could have negotiated an extended period, but since I had the other car to drive, I decided to turn it in when I did and save a few bucks on the insurance.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
kwakitykwak
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

hey guys I was just told by my dealer that in order to secure an allocation for my 128 I would have to do a dealer trade in. Could someone try to explain what "dealer trade-in" means exactly? Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakitykwak View Post
hey guys I was just told by my dealer that in order to secure an allocation for my 128 I would have to do a dealer trade in. Could someone try to explain what "dealer trade-in" means exactly? Much appreciated!
Your dealer probably said "dealer trade". That's when one dealer will trade with another for either a car they have, or for a car they may want in the future. It's simply a deal between dealerships.

The negative on this could be that the dealer will charge you to get the car in. The cost depends on how far away the other dealer is. If it's nearby, they can send a flatbed to get it, and the cost shouldn't be too high.
If they have to go far out of state, then it may require a trucking company delivery, which can run into the hundreds of dollars. Your dealer will tell you how much it will cost. Of course, like most things for sale, that cost is negotiable just like the overall cost.

Some dealers will simply run the cost into the deal and not charge, and some will. It really depends on how far the car is.

Now, they could also do a dealer trade for a car that is still at "port", meaning it hasn't been delivered to a dealer yet. If you get lucky with that, there won't be any additional delivery charge as the standard BMW delivery will be applied, which everyone pays.
When I bought my 03 325i (Chicago area), my dealer did a dealer trade with an east coast dealer. That dealer had ordered the 325i for his stock, so it wasn't an ordered car. My dealer simply asked if he could have the car. And, since it was a non delivered car yet, there was no additional delivery. It was simply diverted to my dealer for me.

Work with a dealer that will work with you, and who will try to work the most advantageous deal. In my 135i shopping, I had a dealer tell me he found a 135i that I liked, but it was on the east coast as well. The added charge was about and extra $700 on top of what BMW charges for delivery. The car had already been delivered to a dealer, so the cost was to cover the transport to my location. I didn't like that at all. So, I told him I would rather order and wait the few weeks. He then asked if we could do the deal at my original offer of $300 over invoice. IOW, he would have the car transported to me, but not charge extra for it.
The $700 was rather steep, and I'm sure it was on purpose so that he could have the upper hand on the deal.

In the end I decided to order exactly what I wanted, and I went with another dealer.

Good luck. And, you'll LOVE the 135i or the 128i.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #15
kwakitykwak
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

That clarified things, he actually did say "we would have to do a dealer trade...in order to..." here's the e-mail i got. Still do not fully understand what it means maybe you can help.

e-mail from dealer: "Hi Edward, if you would like the European delivery it has to be done by next Tuesday July 14, because BMW is not taking anymore orders for 2009 128cp. We would have to do a dealer trade in order to make the car to your specifications."

I sent him another email to clarify things
Appreciate 0