BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Limiter removed

Has anyone taken off/disabled the engine limiter ?

I read that the N54 engine is good for around 170Mph.
      11-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Dinan chip will remove limiter
      11-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

is this true ?
      11-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

you don't need to go that fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

I believe Hartge of Germany also makes a chip that plugs into the ECU which removes the speed limiter. ONe of the forum members who is stationed in Germany was going to go to the Hartge factory/dealer and pick one up but I never heard if he did get it and installed it and how fast the car actually went on the autobahn afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
really dinan will?
Yep:

Quote:
Dinan is pleased to announce the introduction of the anxiously awaited Stage 2 Performance Engine Software for the BMW 135i. And as always, Dinan matches the new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, including the possibility of consequential damages. No one offers better performance or backs it up with such comprehensive warranty coverage. The Dinan Performance Engine Software safely increases turbo-boost pressure from the stock 8.8 to 13.0 psi, along with properly retuned fuel mixtures, ignition timing and full map rescaling. In fact, over 2000 engine management functions have been recalibrated, offering substantial increases in power output while maintaining the civility and reliability expected of a Dinan performance product. Some examples include: Remapped Water Pump Speeds. In an effort to more effectively control oil and water temperatures, the Dinan software actually increases water pump speeds as boost pressure increases. Boost Pressure Control. Increased boost pressure exceeds the turbochargers’ design limitations at higher rpm, potentially shortening their lifespan. Dinan addresses this issue by tapering the boost gradually at higher engine speeds. This approach also addresses the fact that with increased boost at higher rpm the turbocharger temperatures would exceed the intercooler’s ability to cool the intake charge, resulting in a loss of power and compromising the long-term durability of the engine. The tapered boost keeps temperatures within the design limitations so as to optimize output and ensure engine reliability with the added boost pressure. Top Speed Governor Removed. With Dinan’s software, the 135 will be capable of achieving its natural top speed as the governor has been removed. The results of Dinan’s tuning are nothing short of breathtaking, with the added boost and related recalibration producing maximum output of 384
Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I had read somewhere that German dealers will also do it upon request. I didn't try that when I was there and language might have been a problem, but for the OP, you might want to make a few calls around since you're in the UK.

Out of curiosity, where in the UK are you able to drive > 155 MPH?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

I believe the Vishnu Procede removes the limiter as well. But I forgot to ask, ?why? :iono:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 02:34 AM   #9
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
I had read somewhere that German dealers will also do it upon request. I didn't try that when I was there and language might have been a problem, but for the OP, you might want to make a few calls around since you're in the UK.

Out of curiosity, where in the UK are you able to drive > 155 MPH?
It was more a case of taking it off than actually hitting those speeds in the UK. Will be off to the Nürburgring early next year with a few mates and would like to open it up on the autobahn.
      11-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
what will the car limit out at?
Salt flats.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I'm not sure you'd be able to go much faster than 155 even if you removed the limited.

I haven't found a good answer as to what a stock 135i would do unrestricted, (and it did still feel pretty eager around 140-ish), but it did start getting a little "floaty" at that speed. And traffic and weather limited me from exploring any further.

If you take a look at this article: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...e-ar64248.html

Hartage added 44 hp and indicates that you can cruise at 280 kph or about 173 mph. That might just be an extended limiter (they don't say).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

Quote:
what will the car limit out at?
lightspeed
Appreciate 0