BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
FourT6and2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Some Questions on the N54

I'm new to the forum and I've been doing some research on the 135i since I'm thinking about selling my IS300 for one within the next 6 months or so.

Like I've said, I am using the search function to read through other threads. But, if anybody has some quick and dirty answers for me, that'd be great.

1. Does anybody know how much power/torque the stock manual tranny can handle? Clutch?

2. Same question for the block/head/internals.

3. What is the most power anybody has heard the N54 make on stock block/head/turbos?

4. What can the stock fuel system handle in terms of providing enough fuel while upping boost? I don't think there are any aftermarket high-flow fuel pumps for this car since it is direct injeciton, correct?

Would it be that difficult to reach about 400whp on the 135i with stock turbos? Or, is that a pipe dream?

I'm comming from a car with the 2JZ-GE, which is a decent starting point. However, forced induction on my car costs a lot since the stock ECU can't compensate for boost.

I really like the 135i. But, I'd like to know all my options before I go out and buy one.
      10-31-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
3. What is the most power anybody has heard the N54 make on stock block/head/turbos?

Would it be that difficult to reach about 400whp on the 135i with stock turbos? Or, is that a pipe dream?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18502

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Yearofthe1
Rep

I'm not a d*ck about it like some are, but you really need to search around this forum and e90post.com for your answers. These have all been discussed at length. You're not going to be disappointed in any respects when it comes to power with this car. You really need to test drive one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
I'm new to the forum and I've been doing some research on the 135i since I'm thinking about selling my IS300 for one within the next 6 months or so.

Like I've said, I am using the search function to read through other threads. But, if anybody has some quick and dirty answers for me, that'd be great.

1. Does anybody know how much power/torque the stock manual tranny can handle? Clutch?

4. What can the stock fuel system handle in terms of providing enough fuel while upping boost? I don't think there are any aftermarket high-flow fuel pumps for this car since it is direct injeciton, correct?

I'm comming from a car with the 2JZ-GE, which is a decent starting point. However, forced induction on my car costs a lot since the stock ECU can't compensate for boost.

I really like the 135i. But, I'd like to know all my options before I go out and buy one.
Are you going to spend $35-45k on a 135i and be willing to void the warranty reaching that kind of hp level? With the IS300's 215hp and 218ft-lb torque I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised during the test drive of a 135i. The curb weight is around the same as your current car but it has an additional 85hp/tq.

I'm doing the dinan stage 2 software (384hp/421tq) because they're the only aftermarket tuner that offers a matching 4yr/50k mile warranty. Of course, if you're rich or just don't care about a warranty.. you can push the upper limits with the various piggybacks and tons of other mods available for these cars.

I can guarantee you'll be happy with the steering feel and handling of the 135i. IF the suspension is slightly too comfortable for you, there's always the performance catalog suspension for less than $1k.

Best of luck! BTW, I suggest you sell your car for ~$16k and get a leftover '08 135i for the very low bmw financing interest rates. I believe it's currently 0.9%..
      10-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
FourT6and2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
I'm not a d*ck about it like some are, but you really need to search around this forum and e90post.com for your answers. These have all been discussed at length. You're not going to be disappointed in any respects when it comes to power with this car. You really need to test drive one.
Yeah, like I already said: I am using the search feature and reading up on my own. But, I thought I'd ask anyway in case anybody had some "quick and dirty" answers for me...to quote myself.

And, I test drove one today, actually. I wasn't exactly blown away by it. It's a nice car alright, but I do have some issues with it.
      10-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
FourT6and2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
Are you going to spend $35-45k on a 135i and be willing to void the warranty reaching that kind of hp level? With the IS300's 215hp and 218ft-lb torque I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised during the test drive of a 135i. The curb weight is around the same as your current car but it has an additional 85hp/tq.

I'm doing the dinan stage 2 software (384hp/421tq) because they're the only aftermarket tuner that offers a matching 4yr/50k mile warranty. Of course, if you're rich or just don't care about a warranty.. you can push the upper limits with the various piggybacks and tons of other mods available for these cars.

I can guarantee you'll be happy with the steering feel and handling of the 135i. IF the suspension is slightly too comfortable for you, there's always the performance catalog suspension for less than $1k.

Best of luck! BTW, I suggest you sell your car for ~$16k and get a leftover '08 135i for the very low bmw financing interest rates. I believe it's currently 0.9%..
Modifications shouldn't void a car's warranty. I've been through this already with Lexus and haven't had any issues with aftermarket parts affecting the warranty.

I test drove one already.

I actually wasn't happy with the steering and feel of the 135i. It's numb in comparison to my IS300. But, I still like the car and am considering buying one.

I will be paying cash for the 135 if and when I buy it. No financing for me.

Thanks for the help.
      11-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

^^^ are you nuts? im sorry but ya i know all about the 2jzge and gte....this is the new supra motor buddy but refined and almost 16 years later...lol this 135i impressed the hell out of me and ive driven 911 turbo porsches and most of the audi line up...except the R8 which i got screwed out of driving

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
FourT6and2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2bmw1 View Post
^^^ are you nuts? im sorry but ya i know all about the 2jzge and gte....this is the new supra motor buddy but refined and almost 16 years later...lol this 135i impressed the hell out of me and ive driven 911 turbo porsches and most of the audi line up...except the R8 which i got screwed out of driving
What does the 2JZ-GTE or GE engine have to do with my impressions of the steering response and pedal feel of the 135i? Same question with regards to a Porche.

From my experiene diving the 135i, my IS300 has better steering/road feedback and better pedal feel. If you don't agree, that's fine. But, then again, you've never drivin my IS300. I know I'm being blunt and straight forward when I say this (don't take it personally). But, don't patronize me about such and such engine and such and such Porches and Audis. Your argument is a non-sequitor as far as I'm concerned.

Again, I'm not speaking down on BMW or the 135i. I am highly interested in the car. I just wasn't impressed by the feel of the thing.
      11-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
raolc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
Modifications shouldn't void a car's warranty. I've been through this already with Lexus and haven't had any issues with aftermarket parts affecting the warranty.

I test drove one already.

I actually wasn't happy with the steering and feel of the 135i. It's numb in comparison to my IS300. But, I still like the car and am considering buying one.

I will be paying cash for the 135 if and when I buy it. No financing for me.

Thanks for the help.

hahahaha your not happy with the steering feel? you preffer your feather weight steering on your lexus? :iono: sorry i liked the is300 back in the fast and furious days, but the is300 doesn't have shit on the 135i (or 335i sedan if you want more room) i drive my friend's is250 and i laugh at him when he calls it a sports car

but i guess we all got different opinions, just won't find many people agreeing with you over here putting a lexus is300 over a bmw 135i/335i
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

again...is your is300 stock? either way i have driven stock ones and modded ones...yes they are great cars and can be very fast with the NA-T turbo kits for them...some years have issues with rod bearings i guess but other than that it is a great car....and dont take my comments as me patronzing you...not my intent...i was saying it in a kidding fashion. the way the car feels is very important and steering and pedal feel is key....but i do have plenty of experience with cars..both on and off the race track and let me tell you the 135i does derserve all the hype that is built up around it...

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

welcome

IMO the 135i is very deceptive, I say this because it makes a majority of its power at very low RPM compared to any other car in/out of its class and its handles tough yet smooth. Its unique becuase the powerband on this car starts very low and you can feel it pull hard through an entire gear.... You have to test drive it to feel the harmony in each gear. It has so much low end its rewarding to rip a 4th gear pull @ 40mph Test drive one, some owners love it some owners find it boring... I say to those looking for a car tha makes its power at high rpm get a 4 banger!!!!

Upgrades are very promising considering with just a few simply bolt ons intake/Downpipes/Juicebox3 you have over 400hp/tq proven by several owners on this thread.. These 3 upgrades are reversible an well under $1,500 and the numbers they produce speak for themselves. You get real results you can feel with simply bolt on's for this car.... After tweaking suspension to your liking and decent rubber this car basically puts any car from the 30k-60k catagory to shame... hope i kinda helped.. welcome to the boards

Quote:

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by raolc View Post
hahahaha your not happy with the steering feel? you preffer your feather weight steering on your lexus? :iono: sorry i liked the is300 back in the fast and furious days, but the is300 doesn't have shit on the 135i (or 335i sedan if you want more room) i drive my friend's is250 and i laugh at him when he calls it a sports car

but i guess we all got different opinions, just won't find many people agreeing with you over here putting a lexus is300 over a bmw 135i/335i

Wow where can I get me one of these Lexus IS300's!!??? I really must drive one...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #13
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

If you don't have any information relating to the OP questions plz move on its very disruptive

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
FourT6and2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raolc View Post

An IS300 and an IS250 are two completely different cars. The fact that you laugh at your friend for driving a Lexus doesn't really convince me of anything. I'm not sure what you meant by "feather weight steering." However, the steering feedback in my car is fantastic and it drives beautifully.

And I'm not "putting a lexus is300 over a bmw..." I just prefer the steering and pedal feel of my car over a stock 135i. If you don't agree then fine...I could not care less, really.
      11-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
FourT6and2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2bmw1 View Post
again...is your is300 stock? either way i have driven stock ones and modded ones...yes they are great cars and can be very fast with the NA-T turbo kits for them...some years have issues with rod bearings i guess but other than that it is a great car....and dont take my comments as me patronzing you...not my intent...i was saying it in a kidding fashion. the way the car feels is very important and steering and pedal feel is key....but i do have plenty of experience with cars..both on and off the race track and let me tell you the 135i does derserve all the hype that is built up around it...
No problem. I'll take your opinion into account. I'm sure it's a great car, especially once one gets the feel for it.

No, my IS isn't stock. I do have some suspension work done. But, that hasn't changed the inherent nature of how the car gives feedback to the driver. There are plenty of things that annoy me with my IS. That's why I'm thinking about getting a new car...
      11-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #16
FourT6and2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
IMO the 135i is very deceptive, I say this because it makes a majority of its power at very low RPM compared to any other car in/out of its class and its handles tough yet smooth. Its unique becuase the powerband on this car starts very low and you can feel it pull hard through an entire gear.... You have to test drive it to feel the harmony in each gear. It has so much low end its rewarding to rip a 4th gear pull @ 40mph Test drive one, some owners love it some owners find it boring... I say to those looking for a car tha makes its power at high rpm get a 4 banger!!!!

Upgrades are very promising considering with just a few simply bolt ons intake/Downpipes/Juicebox3 you have over 400hp/tq proven by several owners on this thread.. These 3 upgrades are reversible an well under $1,500 and the numbers they produce speak for themselves. You get real results you can feel with simply bolt on's for this car.... After tweaking suspension to your liking and decent rubber this car basically puts any car from the 30k-60k catagory to shame... hope i kinda helped.. welcome to the boards
Thanks! Has anybody replaced the stock turbos with a larger single or another bi-turbo setup? I haven't been able to find any instance of such.
      11-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #17
FourT6and2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Wow where can I get me one of these Lexus IS300's!!??? I really must drive one...
I love it when people put words in my mouth. I drive an IS300. I like it. Get over it.

I also like the 135i. I'm just trying to find out more information about the thing before I buy one.
      11-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #18
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
If you don't have any information relating to the OP questions plz move on its very disruptive
I hate to be disruptive but it's "Black Sapphire." :wink:
      11-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Has anybody replaced the stock turbos with a larger single or another bi-turbo setup? I haven't been able to find any instance of such.
This probably won't happen for a while being that so much is being squeezed out of the stock turbos at the present by the ECU tuners. Plus, there really isn't that much physical room in the engine bay to pack anything much bigger in without some very expensive remodeling. Besides, do you really think you'll need more than 423 hp/397 tq? :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #20
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
I hate to be disruptive but it's "Black Sapphire." :wink:

LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #21
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

Hey, I will answer these
I have been involved in n54 tuning since oct of 2006 :biggrin:

1. Clutch starts to slip over 400wtq, but only if you drive like you don't care about the car. The tranny has shown no issues. One guy broke a half shaft on the drag strip.

2. No problems yet... really strong so far, I would say they are plenty strong for anything the stock turbos can deliver (400-420whp)

3. 430whp

4. Enough fuel for about 460whp using wideband bias and fuel pressure control... No aftermarket pumps yet, but I think a/r design was looking into it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #22
FourT6and2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
Hey, I will answer these
I have been involved in n54 tuning since oct of 2006 :biggrin:

1. Clutch starts to slip over 400wtq, but only if you drive like you don't care about the car. The tranny has shown no issues. One guy broke a half shaft on the drag strip.

2. No problems yet... really strong so far, I would say they are plenty strong for anything the stock turbos can deliver (400-420whp)

3. 430whp

4. Enough fuel for about 460whp using wideband bias and fuel pressure control... No aftermarket pumps yet, but I think a/r design was looking into it.
Thanks for the help!