BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: the best option is?
RISS RACING INTAKE 30 73.17%
AFE DUAL INTAKE 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

11-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
GOU
Private
Rep
Drives:

Question ¿ AFE v.s RISS ?

just watching some comments in the forum about the AFE intake....and most say that lost horsepower on the dyno tests :iono: and many of you speak very well of RISS RACING for its good results !

I dont want just to improve the sound of my 135 with the intake, I would like to make it works better than the original air box....and
gain some horsepower...

- already buy both intakes (riss racing & afe) which you believe to be the best option 4my car?

Both are new, but now I have the opportunity to sell one of them ... but with which of these intakes should I stay?

know this is a boring theme for you guys, but in my position what would you do?

thanks...
      11-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

RR all the way :thumbup:
      11-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
never
driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: not a 135 anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOU View Post
I dont want just to improve the sound of my 135 with the intake, I would like to make it works better than the original air box....and
gain some horsepower...

- already buy both intakes (riss racing & afe) which you believe to be the best option 4my car?

Both are new, but now I have the opportunity to sell one of them ... but with which of these intakes should I stay?
If you really want to know which makes more power on your car, go to your local dyno with both and do some baseline, RR, and AFE runs. Then sell the one(s) that make the least amount of power.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by never View Post
If you really want to know which makes more power on your car, go to your local dyno with both and do some baseline, RR, and AFE runs. Then sell the one(s) that make the least amount of power.
I'll buy ours back if it makes less power. We have already beat them out on every VS dyno so far :wink:

Your using an old pic by the way with the wrong filter heres the right one

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

if you are not running a stage 2 + tune . I don't think you will get much from either. RISS won't hurt you, so it is the best choice of the two. Up your boost , remove the back pressure, upgrade your intercooler, THEN worry about the intake. on the 135 an intake is more of a supporting mod.
      11-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyal View Post
if you are not running a stage 2 + tune . I don't think you will get much from either. RISS won't hurt you, so it is the best choice of the. Up your boost , remove the back pressure, upgrade your intercooler, THEN worry about the intake. on the 135 an intake is more of a supporting mod.
Agreed intake is a supporting mod. However if you not doing any other mods too your car the intake still helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony@rissracing View Post
Agreed intake is a supporting mod. However if you not doing any other mods too your car the intake still helps.
Yes, but very little gain under real world conditions. dynos on intake are done with the hood up and big fans blowing on the intake. This does not simulate the real world. There is more air flow during a dyno than when you run your car.

With that being said , I do believe you have the best product out there and when it’s time I will be sporting a RISS intake.
      11-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
DRosS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 VF34 WRX

RR intake is on my next to order list! If its anything like the exhaust I know I'll love it!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

in all seriousness, those fans are not blowing air as fast as highway driving. In this "dream" I had I was pinned at 155 for a while...I am SURE that intake was sucking in some SERIOUS air
      11-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
GOU
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony@rissracing View Post
I'll buy ours back if it makes less power. We have already beat them out on every VS dyno so far :wink:

Your using an old pic by the way with the wrong filter heres the right one
Ok Anthony...I believe you !

but pleeeeease... I want the new snorkel system to complete my stage-3 intake kit !

already have order the INTAKE + AIR SCOOPS + DIVERTER VALVES & HARD PIPE... just missing the plenum

11-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

RR all the way!!!
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

you guys really need to post results of a simple drop in filter say a K&N and AFE...and Streamline helene or whatever its called....of course companies will claim better gains with the HIGHER priced intakes....the stock setup is FINE more flow is always better which is what you get with a drop in filter....there really isnt such a thing called "cold air intake" on a turbo charged car...the amount of heat generated and by the time it reaches the intake its already very hot...FLOW is the KEY temp is reduced more by bigger FMICs and water/meth kits and intake manifold gaskets etc etc....so go ahead and waste 400 dollars for an intake that nets you maybe 5hp which a drop in filter can and will produce....an aftermarket intake isnt needed until you max out what the current setup can handle which also doesnt look like thats happened yet

also you can make your own open element intake for less than 80 bucks....pretty simple stuff...some couplers and a filter and make your own heat shield if you want out of alum or other material

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I think my dyno results more than proved Riss Racings claims, with 15 other witnesses to the Dyno at are ICS dyno day. I agree the AFE claims were crap and my Dyno results proved it. I will be taking the car back to ICS in a week or two once I recieve the plenum and DV's and we will see what kind of extra gain we get.
      11-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

So Anthony how does it feel to have a huge monopoly with 1addicts.com? :biggrin:
Riss Racing all the way!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
AZ135
REALTOR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jag XF Supercharged

Quote:
In this "dream" I had I was pinned at 155 for a while...
Haha... Those are my favorite "dreams."
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #16
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
So Anthony how does it feel to have a huge monopoly with 1addicts.com? :biggrin:
Riss Racing all the way!
haha there is no monopoly. There are many great vendors on this forum! We really appreciate all the support :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #17
aab3218
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why not add dual cone to the options? All the fast cars on dragtimes.com are running dual cone intakes. Which BTW are 1/4th the price of the options listed above. If these two intakes worked you would think one of them would have tried it and run better times by now. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #18
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I vote RR Intake got one on order....
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #19
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2bmw1 View Post
you guys really need to post results of a simple drop in filter say a K&N and AFE...and Streamline helene or whatever its called....of course companies will claim better gains with the HIGHER priced intakes....the stock setup is FINE more flow is always better which is what you get with a drop in filter....there really isnt such a thing called "cold air intake" on a turbo charged car...the amount of heat generated and by the time it reaches the intake its already very hot...FLOW is the KEY temp is reduced more by bigger FMICs and water/meth kits and intake manifold gaskets etc etc....so go ahead and waste 400 dollars for an intake that nets you maybe 5hp which a drop in filter can and will produce....an aftermarket intake isnt needed until you max out what the current setup can handle which also doesnt look like thats happened yet

also you can make your own open element intake for less than 80 bucks....pretty simple stuff...some couplers and a filter and make your own heat shield if you want out of alum or other material
sounds like vwvortex ....forget about it different crowd not much DIY...ive learned DIY and cheap fixes with the hondas then audi's...Ill try my own intake as well try to slap in the fender(a la rsx-s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0