BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

SSABRIPO's review of the JB3

cliffs: the most real world power $600 can buy you on a BMW, ever!

Let me start by saying that I've come from several BMW tuners in the past, from Dinan on a 540i, to AA supercharging on a e46 330ci, to a turbo'd E30, etc... unfortunately, I'm a modding junkie like that, and has almost cost me a divorce one a couple of occassions!

Installation:
Fairly straight forward. The biggest PITA is basically getting all the parts out to access the ECU, but once there, it is fairly straight forward. The install instructions are pretty accurate, and it was more than enough for me as I've worked in cars before, but it could use a better Pic-to-instruction ratio so that folks who do this for the 1st time don't get puzzled.

Adaptation:

it took about a good 4-5 hours of running time to get adjusted, but after a couple of easy runs up the RPM band in 2nd and 3rd gear (2k-7k), it started to get a feel. Also, take it to a road you can push it, and start from 1st gear and work on the throttle, from 10% to WOT...let the CPU get a hold of the entire range and its new stuff.

Performance:
You've all heard all the accolades, so no need there. I will share some personal comparisons, however. With the Jb3 adapted, and DTC/DSC off (e-LSD engaged), my first launch attempt resulted in 2 seconds of burning tires, the car trying to side move in order to put the power to the ground, and the runflats about to take a dump! After a couple of launch practices, I kinda got the jist of it, and this thing just rushes you off the gate! Amazing performance.
At roll of 30-40mph, put it in 2nd gear at about 4k, and let her rip, and you will feel all that torque and power launch you off the bat....again, just amazing performance.

I have to say that the $6000 AA supercharger got a lot of performance on the e46, and so did the APR stage 3 Audi mods, but again, at $7500, not exactly bargains. The closest thing I can think of in terms of impact is the Stage1 APR chip for the GTI, and even that doesn't do it justice.

Can't wait for V1.2 maps! :headbang:

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Welcome to the club! Do you always talk in third person?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
The closest thing I can think of in terms of impact is the Stage1 APR chip for the GTI, and even that doesn't do it justice.
Funny thing is the Stage1 ECU flash only makes the GTI *FEEL* fast... It's a little torque monster, but still pretty damn slow even with this upgrade (but I know what you're trying to convey)!

The 1er + JB3 on the other hand... Well, I can't speak first-hand (yet? ), but all of the reviews speak for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Welcome to the club! Do you always talk in third person?
all this presidential stuff got to me! :biggrin:

I'm SSABRIPO, and I approve this message!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I took 2 coworkers out for lunch (in my friend's car in Mexico :smile and they were completely blown away. What impressed them most was how quickly the needle shoots around the rev counter, and how often the car wants to go 120 mph.

They dubbed the low boost map the fast setting and the high boost map the crazy setting. I agree - and although some may consider this wimpy, my friend's car typically runs on the low boost map, which is more attuned to the 335's weak suspension and open diff.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0