BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

manual lessons this friday

i learned to drive on a manual car 4 years ago. I Havn't driven one since and im goign to for some lessons this friday to know for sure if i want my 1 to have a manual gearbox. Any tips, or hints?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Remember to use the pedal on the left from time to time. ; -)

If you've driven a stick before, you'll be just fine - take it easy for a bit then as you get more comfortable, let 'er rip!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep

i think the lessons are in a z4 as well. Im excited and for a 150 bucks its not bad for 2 hours of private one on one lesson.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
it you cant find it... dont grind it
      11-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Shift 1st to 2nd at about 4000-4300, and shift quickly and let out the clutch smoothly. Shifts will become more smooth as clutch breaks in. Be confident with your shifts. If you shift too slowly and let the revs drop too much between shifts, when you finally get in gear and let the clutch out car will buck and the headrest will smack you in the back of the head...Ask me how I know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep

thanks thats why im taking lessons before i order my car...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
ADA///M
Rep
Drives:

sit in a parking lot for 10 -15 minutes(or unitl you figure it out) with the e-brake on and let the clutch out slowly until you feel it start to catch then push it back in...repeat until you figure it out.

Then repeat doing the same this time no e-brake and letting the clutch out fully and getting the car going without using any gas at all....keep repeating until youre good at it. NO GAS...just clutch.

After that, you'll be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep

thanks, im excited to learn again.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

I'm making my CA teach me as a condition of buying the car. Have fun and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i'm not sure that lessons will or should help you make your decision.

why do you want a manual?

if you are like me (and i'd bet most who prefer manuals), you detest driving an automatic for the relative lack of throttle response, and the lack of control over gearing. you crave the directly-connected feel of the throttle of a manual, and really hope to drive a manual until you are an old cripple. you find the eternal gap between gears when using the "manumatic" execution of a typical slushbox laughable and ridiculous. you want to drive a car, not a motorboat.

only 10% of american drivers can even drive a manual car anymore- automatics are popular for a reason. unless you really crave a manual car, i'd bet you'd get tired of it, especially if you are in a lot of stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
i'm not sure that lessons will or should help you make your decision.

why do you want a manual?

if you are like me (and i'd bet most who prefer manuals), you detest driving an automatic for the relative lack of throttle response, and the lack of control over gearing. you crave the directly-connected feel of the throttle of a manual, and really hope to drive a manual until you are an old cripple. you find the eternal gap between gears when using the "manumatic" execution of a typical slushbox laughable and ridiculous. you want to drive a car, not a motorboat.

only 10% of american drivers can even drive a manual car anymore- automatics are popular for a reason. unless you really crave a manual car, i'd bet you'd get tired of it, especially if you are in a lot of stop and go traffic.
Hmmm. I hear ya. I just wish they didn't skimp on the knob on the a/t. I hate how cheap it looks.

That being what it is, I have to hand it to BMW, they do offer a real nice 6 speed auto! Something I never thought I could consider. Funny how life changes us. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Practice is really the only tip.

If you think you'll enjoy the manual more, get it. If not, don't.

I personally knew I wanted a manual but had never driven one before - ordered it anyway and just spent 5 minutes in a friend's truck before taking delivery. I wasn't entirely sure I'd get it home in one piece but I made a point of taking an 80mi round trip on the way back from the dealer and now I couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #13
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep

i know i want a manual, this is a second car. I have a truck that i drive during the week. this would be for fun and on the weekends and s o on. I want a manual for the control and the whole sports car experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I'll second ADA///M. Finding the friction point is pretty much the hardest point of learning stick.

I took both of my sisters who I taught stick by taking them to a parking lot and working with them to find that point. It isn't really all that sexy or fun, but it helped them a ton in driving stick...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #15
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Step 1: push right-most pedal to the floor.(engine will make loud noises - this is normal)
Step 2: push left-most pedal to the floor.
Step 3: put car in 1st gear.(if it will not go into gear - just push harder)
Step 4: slide foot off the left side of the left-most pedal.
Step 5: hold on to steering wheel.(tightly)

*not serious*
      11-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
sayid_jarrah
Rep
Drives: 135i

where are you taking lessons at?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #17
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep

newport beach driving school is what its called
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #18
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Chewyjr15,

Welcome to the forum!

You will be fine. The care is awesome!

Even if you decided at the 11th hour and I assume that's not possible because you have already ordered the car... lol but if it happened that way... the auto with with flippers are crazy... I got to try it for about an hour and loved it. I still got manual but auto is also very sweet. You can't go wrong.

Everyone here as adviced you correctly. I guess it's like every1 here is flattered you will be following in our footsteps.

One cool thing you will love...

You know when you are driving manual and you go up a hill... and on that hill you need to stop.... maybe for a light or stop sign... and normally it's a real hassle to get it back into first gear because of the hill... well your 1 puts the brake on for you just enough for you to get it in gear and zoom up. I loved it... I didn't know about it till it happened and I just beamed from ear to ear. I quickly came home and instead of reading the manual I used the search here and there it was... yippee... the car I garantee will make you smile each and every time you drive it!!! BTW does BMW have a proper name for this? And does any1 know if other manufacturers do this?

Have fun! And like the best say... take it easy... practice makes perfect.

Remember you don't need to prove anything to any1, so take your time and be safe at all times!

My lil advice... if you live in a busy city, try to avoid rush hour for a few weeks till you get 20 plus hours of driving...

Old people, and children do not always remember/understand the rules and tend to go on the road at the wrong places... last thing you want to do is hit the wrong pedal or something... it can happen! So drive safe! And enjoy yourself as I know you will!

EspressoBoy

BTW Yoda says hi!
      11-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #19
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep

thanks thats cool about the hill thing makes me feel a little more at ease.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyjr15 View Post
thanks thats cool about the hill thing makes me feel a little more at ease.

LOL you will love it... oh make sure you use the search in the forum lots to read...

The gear box can feel rough... and not to leave your hand on it ... lots of tips here... use the search to see why...

I think the hardest thing you are going to find is not the shifting but getting out of the car... all you are going to want to do is drive.

EspressoBoy
      11-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #21
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep

why not leave my hand on the shifter
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #22
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA///M View Post
sit in a parking lot for 10 -15 minutes(or unitl you figure it out) with the e-brake on and let the clutch out slowly until you feel it start to catch then push it back in...repeat until you figure it out.

Then repeat doing the same this time no e-brake and letting the clutch out fully and getting the car going without using any gas at all....keep repeating until youre good at it. NO GAS...just clutch.

After that, you'll be good to go.
Thats exactly how I was taught and what I've used to teach others. It's the best way in my opinion!!!

So I second that. :thumbup:

Also, practice this facing up a mild incline in the same parking lot if possible. (not in 1er b/c it holds the breaks for you)

***Very important*** In emergency breaking, clutch-in so as to not stall the car when coming to a complete stop (for some this is not instinct, but it will become one). This way you can haul @$$ out of the way of whatever is coming at you from behind if necessary.

Lastly enjoy how silly it feels to clutch in your auto truck when you get in right after driving your 1er. It always annoys me. Good luck and good choice with the 6MT!!!