BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #23
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

Slap on a set of KW3's or something better and all the handling issues will go away...really its night and day at least for me. My 1M was so much better on the track then my 135i but it was almost that much better as my 1M stock vs 1M with KW3's.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #24
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Yeah, I am really starting to think about coilovers . . . which usually means a purchase is imminent. I am trying to hold out until next Christmas . . . probably will go with Ohlins R+T.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:18 AM   #25
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
... The 1M IMO did have bespoke spring and dampers (i.e., not the same as the M3). ...
IIRC 1M dampers are E9xM3 versions (Rear & Front are competition package and Japan version respectively).

@ED ///M visit Jurgen Schwenker explained that springs are semi-bespoke by ///M default: They are selected at the factory based on individual vehicle weight (ie including the vehicle options of each individual car). Every 50kg more, a different spring is to be fitted. Not sure if this results in a large variety over all 1M's as there's no variation in heavy options like gearbox, sunroof etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #26
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Yeah, I am really starting to think about coilovers . . . which usually means a purchase is imminent. I am trying to hold out until next Christmas . . . probably will go with Ohlins R+T.
I have not tried the KW's, but I just installed my Ohlins kit and they definitely add some composure especially under braking and acceleration. It has even got me thinking about more power, something I never really wanted w/ stock dampers. I am very impressed. Whether that is something you want or not is up to you. The lack of composure on the stock dampers was something I found kind of endearing. That is not to say the car is no longer a hooligan, but that has been dialed back a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
- The source is mis-quoted; "All this to put together maybe could have used a year more development I think,” Isenberg said."

- The allowable drift angle of the mdm mode, is parameter in the E8X-E9X platform that can be altered in a minute (certainly less then a year) by coding.
and also the removal of corner brake control i

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-10-2016 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
I have not tried the KW's, but I just installed my Ohlins kit and they definitely add some composure especially under braking and acceleration. It has even got me thinking about more power, something I never really wanted w/ stock dampers. I am very impressed. Whether that is something you want or not is up to you. The lack of composure on the stock dampers was something I found kind of endearing. That is not to say the car is no longer a hooligan, but that has been dialed back a bit.
Ohlins.. Eggsellent Choice! I might want to borrow your car for a test drive..

I'm happy with the characteristics of the stock setup in the same manner. I had a chance to drive 1M Tex's car with Dinan springs at ECR recently. If all tracks were bumpy like ECR.. I would require a different setup for sure... As it is... I like that the 1M as a driver's car for ADVANCED drivers... The 1M requires some skill to handle at the limit and I love that!

I'm curious about Ohlins and JRZ Rs-1 ... IF I make a change.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-10-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 1