BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
e84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328

Jeans color on coral red leather seats... How to clean?

My car is only 2 months old, but i start to see blue mark on my driver coral red seat, what can be done to clean it?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
spfdenhugh
BMWCCA member
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe, Z3 2.8

Wash your jeans before getting in! Seriously, I have coral red for 2 years and no bleeding or discoloration that I have noted.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

e) Dye Transfer

Dye transfer (from jeans, leather belts, etc) can be very difficult to remove; the longer it is on the leather the harder it will be to remove. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc use

Is a common problem on lighter coloured Aniline leathers; on this type of leather anything that is allowed to permeate the leather may stain it permanently as it is not possible to clean out of leather.

Do not allow liquid to soak or ‘heat set’ into the leather, the longer dye transfer remains on the leather the harder it becomes to remove as the dye keeps permeating the finish on the leather. Once the dye has permeated the surface it can be very difficult to remove, but this can be avoided by regular cleaning and the use of a protector. The transferred dye will ‘sit’ on top of the protection and can then be cleaned off by regular cleaning.

If the dye has permeated then the finish should be softened to help release the dye (Leather Master Soft Touch) Using a strong solvent on leather that has a stain or dye transfer will do two things; cause the dye to ‘bleed’ further into the surface making it even more difficult to remove, and it may damage the finish requiring replacement.

As always with stain removal; start with the least invasive first.
• Leather Master Rapid S Cleaner (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) is a concentrated cleaner specifically designed for automotive leather (including Nappa and Perforated) that have accumulated dirt, soil, and dye transfer and suntan or body oils.
• Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
• A 1:1 solvent / detergent solution; d-limonene based (citrus) solvent (P21SŪ Total Auto Wash) and a slightly alkaline detergent.

If you have tried appropriate leather cleaning products with no success it does not mean that the products do not work simply that the problem is not a 'cleaning' one and the dye transfer is more severe or has been on too long.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

^ answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

I have silver leather in my car and have had some denim transfer after washing my jeans a ton and using the product below I can say I have prevented them from happening again.

I would say pick up

Leather Master Super Remover (designed for denim transfer)

then follow with Leather Master Soft Cleaner

and finish with Leather Master Protection Cream.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
i used leatherique on my coral red interior today, wow, that stuff cleans so well
Appreciate 0