BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Stoptech slotted rotors with PQ pads bedding procedure

I made a little mistake of driving the car on my new set up without doing a proper bedding. It's been maybe 30-40 miles maybe did a 50% application at most.
I've read the proper procedure on stoptechs site and understand what needs to be done - my question is will my initial driving on them effect the bedding-in procedure? I plan to do it properly this afternoon - 30/40 mile since install.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

Not at all, it doesn't do any damage unless you take them straight to the track without bedding them, which would shock the rotor and potentially end in warping the rotors. If anything you've helped extend the life of the rotor by doing gentle heat cycles (street driving) before doing deeper heat cycles (bedding, tack use, aggressive canyon driving).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMisencik157
Not at all, it doesn't do any damage unless you take them straight to the track without bedding them, which would shock the rotor and potentially end in warping the rotors. If anything you've helped extend the life of the rotor by doing gentle heat cycles (street driving) before doing deeper heat cycles (bedding, tack use, aggressive canyon driving).
Oh! Well that's good to hear. I initially had a very soft pedal feel so I assumed that was due to not bedding. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

The pedal will get slightly harder after bedding depending on the materials used in the pads. Did you flush fluid as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMisencik157
The pedal will get slightly harder after bedding depending on the materials used in the pads. Did you flush fluid as well?
It was done by a shop but yes fluid was replaced with a performance fluid.
Appreciate 0