BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Dinan Suspension Install with M3 components

After driving my 135 N54 for two years, I finally moved forward with a suspension modification. Previous modifications include the BMW performance power kit (V2 with radiator) and BMW performance exhaust. I recently switched out the runflats for Michelin PSS. I also replaced the PE midpipe (no resonator Y-pipe) with a N55 midpipe (with resonator).

I originally considered the BMW performance suspension kit, but wanted the M3 sway bar and better shocks. For $200 more than the performance suspension kit I was able to put together the following system from Scott at BMW of Houston:
  • Dinan S1 springs
    Dinan spec Koni adjustable yellows shocks
    Dinan rear upper shock mount kit
    M3 (26 mm) sway bar with bushings

Another thing that factored into my decision was warranty. Dinan has a lifetime warranty on their components. If a shock fails, a Dinan dealer will not only replace the part but the necessary labor is also included. This presumes the parts were installed properly, but you don’t have to have a Dinan dealer do the install. A comparable warranty on the BMW performance system would require a dealer install (with associated ridiculous labor costs).

From Dan at United BMW I purchased:
  • M3 front control arms
    M3 front tension struts

From Harold at HPA I got:
  • M3 strut tower brace

From a forum member I purchased:
  • M3 Steering Wheel with DCT paddle shifters

Brad at Bavarian X did a super clean and efficient job with the install. Darin and Chris at West End Alignment did a great job as well. The car now handles like it should have when it left the factory. The car is more planted, the ride has firmed up, but is still compliant. The sloppiness in the steering is gone thanks to the stiffer bushings in the M3 bits. I would have never attempted this without the great information on the forum and specific advise I received from other forums members. Thanks to Harold, 1fastbmw, fboutlaw, 135inc, timhatiway, mastamind and dackelone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Nice Set Up.

I Agree With The Warranty Guaranty From Dinnan.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Very nice.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Nice setup
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

legit. congrats and enjoy!
      12-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

This looks like a great way to go!! I'm envious Pablito!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Nice set up. What size wheels and tires do you have? Any rubbing issues?
      12-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
Nice set up. What size wheels and tires do you have? Any rubbing issues?
I purchased a set of Michelin PSS 225/40R18 and 255/35R18 mounted on new stock 264s w/ tpms from another forum member at a great price. Then I sold my original 264s with runflats to another member that was turning in a lease car. The PSS were put on before the suspension. While they were quiet and much less harsh than the runflats, the soft sidewalls of the tires emphasized the deficencies of the stock suspension and steering parts. While the runflats had great directional control, the PSS were making the car wander and emphasized the mushiness of the steering. So there was no turning back. To my relief the suspension modifications seem to be perfectly matched to these tires.

To finally answer your question, I have noticed that I have "contact" during one specific circumstance, but I don't think this is "rubbing" in the conventional sense where the tires are too big. Everything that I have read indicates that PSS in these sizes work even with lowering.

When turning left and at speed and I go over a V-gutter and the suspension gets a significant jolt, something makes contact when the suspension compresses. The car was examined and there appeared to be a minor rub mark on the front control arm where the tire/wheel may be making contact in the circumstance described. There isn't much clearance between all these components and the combination of the lowering of the springs and the geometry of the M3 parts being slightly different from stock may be the reason. So it's something I am going to have to keep an eye on and try to resolve.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
delta-9-ginseng
OG Tray Deee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i & F36 435i

Excellent Post Pablito!

Besides actually lowering the car by using springs and shocks, what would be the single greatest upgrade one can do to the suspension?

Based on my understanding it would be:

1- 28 mm M3 Front Sway Bar
2- ?
3- ?

I am interested in the M3 Front Control Arms and M3 Front Tension Struts, but I know so little information about them...

I have the PSSs already installed on the stock 264 rims and they are amazing, but I also see where you say the tires "emphasize the deficiencies of the stock suspension" b/c I have noticed it.

Basically, im looking for a slight suspension upgrade that would complement the power and would return a comfortable and rewarding experience.

Thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta-9-ginseng View Post
Excellent Post Pablito!

Besides actually lowering the car by using springs and shocks, what would be the single greatest upgrade one can do to the suspension?

2- ?
3- ?

I am interested in the M3 Front Control Arms and M3 Front Tension Struts, but I know so little information about them...

I have the PSSs already installed on the stock 264 rims and they are amazing, but I also see where you say the tires "emphasize the deficiencies of the stock suspension" b/c I have noticed it.

Basically, im looking for a slight suspension upgrade that would complement the power and would return a comfortable and rewarding experience.

Thanks for the input
I suggest you search and read the many posts regarding bmw performance suspension and M3 bit upgrades. There are many people on this forum with vastly more knowledge about suspensions. Several of the posts list order of mods and their inherent benefits. That being said, this is my personal response to your questions. First, your car has linear rate springs versus the progressive rate sprngs on earlier cars, which is supposed to be an improvement. While I chose to go with replacing the "whole enchilada", I am not sure that spring replacement is always necessary to achieve the modest improvements you are looking for.

Other forum members had advised me to take an incremental suspension mod approach and this might work well for you. After driving the car just with the PSS, I would consider doing just the M3 parts (incl. sway) and see how the car feels. A lot of the things I didn't like about the car's handling seemed to be resolved from these parts, but since they were installed at the same time as the springs/shocks I didn't really get chance to evaluate independently. With regards to the sway bar, do some research before choosing, as the stiffness in the bar needs to be matched to the springs (stiffer springs work better with a less stiff sway). I chose a 26.5 mm M3 bar because, according to Dinan, that was the correct match for the springs. I was actually suprised at the similarity of my stock bar and the M3 bar, the clear difference was in the bushings.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:

IMHO:

1- Koni FSD shocks
2. e92 M3 Front Sway Bar

and then if you still want more:
3. M3 Front Tension Rods
4. M3 rear subframe bushings
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
Brian@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Glad to hear you're happy with your new suspension setup!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Excellent Post Pablito!

2- ?
3- ?

Thanks for the input
I've followed a similar path, although I running Alufelgen SF-71 wheels with Hankook Ventus V12 Evos rather than the 264s and the PSS. I agree with you that switching to non runflat tires makes a huge difference, but it also shows the weaknesses in the stock suspension. I've done mods one at a time and this is/would be my order.

1. 28mm M3 sway bar, bushings and brackets
2. M3 control arms and tension rods.
3. Shocks, shocks/springs or coliovers

After the wheels and tires I added an E93 M3 28mm sway bar, bushings and brackets. The M3 sway bar makes a huge difference in controlling body roll. Personally I like the 28mm bar over the 26.5mm E92 M3 sway bar, especially if you are not going to an agressive suspension mod.

Next I added the M3 control arms and tension rods. Those in combination with the M3 sway bar really make the car feel much better. However, they also magnify the issues with the rest of the OEM suspesion. It has way to much squat and dive in if for me.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to go with aftermarket 1) struts/shocks, 2) springs and struts/shocks or 3) coilovers. I really don't want to lower my car because I like the stance with the SF-71s and I've had some rubbing issues with them in the back with more than one person in the car. Recently I had my fenders rolled in hopes of doing away with any more rubbing issues. So far so good.

Since I haven't been able to find any aftermarket springs that don't lower the car I'm leaning toward adding Koni Sport struts and shocks (with external adjustability). The adjustability of the Koni's can hopefully help reduce the squat and dive without chaning the springs and without making the ride very harsh.

You may want to try springs like the BMW performace springs that only lower the car 10mm. Those with Koni Sports should make for a nice set up along with the M3 pieces.
      12-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice looking set up Pablito
Where'd you set the rebound damping on the Koni's?
      12-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

You and I are pretty much running the same suspension now! The contact issue shouldn't be rubbing with a 225 up front. Check the plastic joint between the bumper and the front quarter and see if there's wear. To be safe, you may want to remove the screw and the clip to eliminate metal to rubber contact.

Also, how'd you set your torques? Just got the Bentley manual for 3 series for xmas! So I'm welcoming questions. Suspension torques in the book are higher than I set them, so beware.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #16
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
You and I are pretty much running the same suspension now! The contact issue shouldn't be rubbing with a 225 up front. Check the plastic joint between the bumper and the front quarter and see if there's wear. To be safe, you may want to remove the screw and the clip to eliminate metal to rubber contact.

Also, how'd you set your torques? Just got the Bentley manual for 3 series for xmas! So I'm welcoming questions. Suspension torques in the book are higher than I set them, so beware.
I created a separate post inquiring about torque specs and 1 fastbmw came through with a response based on the Bentley manual. My installer set it according to his experience and since he is very competent I am assuming they were set appropriately. He also checked things out a week after he install and nothing was loose.

I will look at out what you're referring to at the bumper seam, but the sound that I am hearing is a defined metallic "clank" when I hit a sharp bump (typically drainge V-gutter) when the wheel is turned and the suspension compresses suddenly.

Your recommendations regarding Dinan suspension were spot on. I am driving presently on Dinan pre-set koni settings, which seem to be good except for the worst condition roads. I may experiement with softening up the fronts shocks since the M3 strut brace has made that operation very easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito1702 View Post
I will look at out what you're referring to at the bumper seam, but the sound that I am hearing is a defined metallic "clank" when I hit a sharp bump (typically drainge V-gutter) when the wheel is turned and the suspension compresses suddenly.
Could it be your installer mounted the front sway bar upside down? It is a common mistake when installing the FSB and can cause a sharp metalic noise like you described.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #18
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Could it be your installer mounted the front sway bar upside down? It is a common mistake when installing the FSB and can cause a sharp metalic noise like you described.
Thanks for your suggestion David, but the installer is a pro and I don't see how that could happen given how similar the OEM and M3 bars are. The way the bar has to get around the other components, it seems like there would be only one possible way to install. But something is touching something so I am going to take it easy under the specific circumstances when I experience the clank until I have it figured out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #19
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport, BSM/Coral

Where did you guys pick up your M3 FSB? Tischer?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
1fastbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Congrats on the suspension, hope you get the noise figured out soon, I know things like that can drive you nuts. Still very happy with my complete setup and the FSD's but very curious how these feel in comparison.
JB4 l Berk AB l AP Mids l PLM DP's l RSD CP l Injen CAI l BSH OCC l ETS FMIC l Koni FSD's l BMW Performance Springs l Complete M3 Frt & Rear l Dinan Shock Mnts & Camber Plates l Quaife LSD l Morel Speakers l Zapco Amps l BMW SS Pedals l Pearlescent Brake Handle l 30% Tint l ICarbon Dry Diffuser l Matte / Gloss Grills l Black 135i emblem l P3 V2 Gauge l SF-71's l Conti DW's 235/265-19's l LCI Tails l Lux H8
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Nice and clean install!

This will make a very nice daily driver and still enough performance for some HPDE or light track days.
Appreciate 0