BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2015, 02:01 AM   #1
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Coilovers "Coil Bind" noise

Hi
I've have a set of Megan racing coilovers installed for a while now, not had any issue with them for day to day driving. The only issue I'm currently experiencing is a "springy" clunky sort of noise from both front coilovers when maneuvering at low speeds or stationary. I am fairly sure this is "coil bind".

I've tried lubrication and grease but they are both only temporary fixes, 2 weeks later or so the sound comes back. Does anybody know how to permanently fix this sound?

TY
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 04:43 AM   #2
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Do you have camber plates ? If so it could be their sound when turning ... Otherwise, you can verify if the bumpstop is not moving or locking the spring movement !

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 05:23 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

You need thrust sheets
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Bearing in camber plates or stock upper shock mounts are probably seizing and require replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Bearing in camber plates or stock upper shock mounts are probably seizing and require replacement.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

If it is truly coil bind in a turn, especially at low speeds, the spring isn't effectively turning on the perch and that's why you get the springy sound.

Thrust sheets are the answer to a true coil bind
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
If it is truly coil bind in a turn, especially at low speeds, the spring isn't effectively turning on the perch and that's why you get the springy sound.

Thrust sheets are the answer to a true coil bind
The spring should not turn on the lower perch, it should be static. The reason it is moving is because there is resistance in the bearing at the top.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The spring should not turn on the lower perch, it should be static. The reason it is moving is because there is resistance in the bearing at the top.
Then why are thrust sheets available (And I have them installed) on my car?

The spring WILL MOVE. If it doesn't you create bind.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31
Quote:
Then why are thrust sheets available (And I have them installed) on my car?

The spring WILL MOVE. If it doesn't you create bind.
The spring should only twist in the rear, as the toe changes with droop and compression. I believe that is what the shims are for, as there is no bearing on the rear springs to allow them to turn. Also for front suspensions that are not strut, like an older Honda.

There is however a bearing in front struts to allow movement.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The spring should only twist in the rear, as the toe changes with droop and compression. I believe that is what the shims are for, as there is no bearing on the rear springs to allow them to turn. Also for front suspensions that are not strut, like an older Honda.

There is however a bearing in front struts to allow movement.
Quote:
Thrust sheets provide a variety of benefits to coilover systems. As a spring becomes compressed the coils attempt to distribute the energy by unwinding. This is called twisted force. The unwinding makes the spring rate irregular. By allowing the spring to smoothly rotate around the perch during compression, the spring rate will return to normal. Thrust sheets also help dampening and rebound of struts too. Thrust sheet?s bearing action allowing the rotation of a spring allow the load on the spring to be more evenly Distributed which reduces lateral shock shaft load. Increased lateral load on shock shafts cause a reduction in the struts ability to rely on valves for dampening force.

Thrust sheets works with all brand of coilover system & springs as long as inside diameter matches. Each kit comes with 4 composite rings and 4 stainless steel sheets that will cover 2 coilover springs.

Thrust sheets available in 60, 65, and 70mm. One kit is for two springs. You will need two kits per vehicle.
http://www.hpashop.com/Swift-Thrust-...t-bearings.htm
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

OK, but I don't think that is what is happening in OP's case.

If you are sitting still in a parking lot and turning the wheel back and forth and you are getting popping noises, or a popping noise after turning then hitting a bump, the upper mounts are seizing.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #12
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
OK, but I don't think that is what is happening in OP's case.

If you are sitting still in a parking lot and turning the wheel back and forth and you are getting popping noises, or a popping noise after turning then hitting a bump, the upper mounts are seizing.
Correct. A functioning front steer bearing is much more effective than thrust sheets in allowing the spring to "unwind" when it compresses. In the OP's case there is no compression involved, just pure rotation due to steering. The steer bearing is there to permit this motion. The only function thrust sheets have on a front strut is is to protect the aluminum perches from direct contact with the steel spring, which is legitimate. I use them up front for that purpose.

It could be that the OP's camber plates have no separate steer bearing and both vertical and side loads are carried by a monoball. This isn't a great design, but it could be that lubrication or replacement of the monoball will help. A better design uses a monoball for side loads and a thrust bearing for vertical loads and to permit friction-free steering motion.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #13
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Thanks for the responses.
For some reason I don't think they are seizing, simply because I've heard many cases of people with brand new Megans/BC and even KW/ST coilovers with the same issue right after installation. I will have a look into it though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #14
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
The Swift sheets will help the spring to rotate. It can be a good modification for improving their work

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #15
EauNatural
Rep
Drives: 135i

Motor oil worked for me

I was considering ordering the thrust sheets but thought of dropping some motor oil on top of the strut nut where the adjustment knobs are first. I'm happy to report that it worked! 1 month later and still no coil bind noises =)

On another note, I recently got a wheel alignment and the tech thought the top of the strut was leaking!

Try it out and see if it works for you guys.
Appreciate 0