BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

Suspension overhaul + MFactory Helical LSD Impressions

Only had this car for little over a month, and already went in on changing up so many things about it.

From driving my friends 1ers and E9x 3s around well before buying this car it became very clear to me what I wanted to do to when I got my hands on one.

Without a doubt, the lack of a true LSD on this car or any 1er is its clearest and greatest weakness. From the 1 to 3 series, I could always feel the car having trouble when I would throttle out of a turn. So an LSD was the first mod I put on my list, and thankfully MFactory was running a special price last month for their helicals and I was able to pick one up at a very reasonable price.

Shocks and springs were going to be replaced anyways so I landed a awesome deal on Koni Sports and a set of 2011 135i M-Sport springs as replacements.

Finished it up with a set of Whiteline RSFBs, M3 front control arms and Stoptech SS brake lines.

Most of the install of these parts minus the control arms were done at Offset Motorwerks in Glendora, CA, a shop I highly recommend to people around SoCal, seriously very professional and reasonable guys to work with who make sure everything is done right.

Only had the car for less than a day and the rear springs still need to be installed, but my initial impressions are that the car feels EXACTLY how I intended it to be.

The suspension overhaul itself has made a huge difference in making the car feel planted, there is no longer a bouncy or floaty feeling I got from the stock shocks and RSFBs. While the Konis have been set to medium setting all around (2 clicks/2 half turns) the car's drivability around town has not really changed (maybe its the California roads).

The CLEAREST difference maker however has been the LSD, no doubt. I took the car on a set of mountain roads nearby my house and I can literally feel the power being put down as I modulate the throttle out of a turn. I don't really know how to properly explain it since this is my first RWD car with a proper LSD (in the past owned a 07 Civic Si), but as I put my foot down the rear tires just seem to "bite" the road. On my Civic Si, which also had a helical LSD you could not really feel this "bite" as much, probably due to it being FWD and all. Seriously put a smile on my face since that is exactly what I wanted to feel. Oh and getting the tail out is much easier now (haven't actually drifted the car yet though).

Will post updates as I go along. I will simply say this for now; for those people who regularly do spirited driving and are on the fence about getting an LSD for their cars, I HIGHLY recommend doing so. This chassis feels like it has been literally begging for one since it was conceived.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
odj
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 135is + six other cars

Thanks for sharing. Did you go with the 3:08 or 3:46?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klick View Post
Shocks and springs were going to be replaced anyways so I landed a awesome deal on Koni Sports and a set of 2011 135i M-Sport springs as replacements.

Only had the car for less than a day and the rear springs still need to be installed, but my initial impressions are that the car feels EXACTLY how I intended it to be.
I too have 2011+ 135i Springs in my 128i. How did you handle the front Wheel gap?
I used the SP Lowering perches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post
Thanks for sharing. Did you go with the 3:08 or 3:46?
LSD doesn't change the gearing unless you replace the entire pumpkin. I think he is 3.23 - manual non turbo standard. ( auto is 3.73)

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Diff is next on the list for me!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

klick: Glad to hear you are enjoying your new LSD

We've got plenty of LSD's in stock, so when you're ready to order, feel free to send me a PM and I can see what deals we have going on at the time!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
klick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
I too have 2011+ 135i Springs in my 128i. How did you handle the front Wheel gap?
I used the SP Lowering perches.
Interesting, I did not even notice this. It looks like it added a quarter of an inch or so to the original height. Those lowering perches seem like a good option, but I don't really mind the gap to much right now since the car itself drives really good. How did the rear look after installing the springs? I feel the rears will show the most change in feel since they are linear and all.

Last edited by klick; 03-23-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

My car is currently in the shop getting a MFactory LSD installed. I can't wait to get her back. A few months ago I wasn't even considering getting a LSD until I started to research and understand the benefits of having one from reviews like these.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
My car is currently in the shop getting a MFactory LSD installed. I can't wait to get her back. A few months ago I wasn't even considering getting a LSD until I started to research and understand the benefits of having one from reviews like these.
You're gonna love it.
      03-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Interesting, I did not even notice this. It looks like it added a quarter of an inch or so to the original height. Those lowering perches seem like a good option, but I don't really mind the gap to much right now since the car itself drives really good. How did the rear look after installing the springs? I feel the rears will show the most change in feel since they are linear and all.
Post a pic from some standard distance/height, or measure from top of center cap to fender, we will compare.

The rear will look fine, no change. Yes it feels much better

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got my car back recently (as it took a few extra days to machine my factory shims since there was some binding) and my initial impressions is that I *think* that the car is tracking a bit better. I haven't had a chance to really push the car as I'm breaking it in slowly. I'll try to update once I do.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering which redline product to use with the MFactory helical diff, Stephen@MFactory told me it's 75w90NS.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
klick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Got my car back recently (as it took a few extra days to machine my factory shims since there was some binding) and my initial impressions is that I *think* that the car is tracking a bit better. I haven't had a chance to really push the car as I'm breaking it in slowly. I'll try to update once I do.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering which redline product to use with the MFactory helical diff, Stephen@MFactory told me it's 75w90NS.
I have no idea, the shop that installed for me got the diff fluid themselves, I didn't bother asking since I trust the guys.

How has the diff been working for you though? Have you heard any noise from it? I hear some vibration at the rear sometimes at lower rpms/speeds, but nothing major. Wondering if you hear anything from the rear as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
klick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Post a pic from some standard distance/height, or measure from top of center cap to fender, we will compare.

The rear will look fine, no change. Yes it feels much better
Hmmm, haven't had a chance to do this, the rear springs did get installed though and there is no change in height, still a 2 finger gap. The front for sure has been raised though as it was a 2 finger gap and is slightly larger than 3 now.

I have a question about the perches though, do you notice any reduced suspension travel? Any risk of bottoming out? That is my biggest concern with these.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea, the shop that installed for me got the diff fluid themselves, I didn't bother asking since I trust the guys.

How has the diff been working for you though? Have you heard any noise from it? I hear some vibration at the rear sometimes at lower rpms/speeds, but nothing major. Wondering if you hear anything from the rear as well.
The diff's been working fine so far and I'll be swapping out the fluid pretty soon. The real test will be when I get back on the skid pad/autocross again.

The only noise I've heard so far is when I put it in reverse and maybe first gear. While driving around I haven't heard any noises.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:47 AM   #14
hyphy1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

what fluid did you use for your lsd?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #15
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphy1 View Post
what fluid did you use for your lsd?
Redline 75W-90NS. I was using 75W-90 before, but MFactory recommended the NS / no slip version.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:57 AM   #16
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 135i

Quote:
The diff's been working fine so far and I'll be swapping out the fluid pretty soon. The real test will be when I get back on the skid pad/autocross again.

The only noise I've heard so far is when I put it in reverse and maybe first gear. While driving around I haven't heard any noises.
I had a Wavetrac LSD installed a few months age. Best modification to date. I agree with other posts, it transforms the car and you can really feel the power being put down to the road. 0-60 feels .2 to .3 sec quicker.

I also have a slight clunk in first and reverse shifts but nothing that is bothering me to this point.

I did sub frame bushings last year but coil overs are next for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #17
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Skidpad/Autocross update

Almost forgot to update...

I was recently on the skidpad/autocross at Lime Rock and the changes are pretty huge. You can definitely tell that the e-diff is not kicking in as much and that the mechanical diff is doing most of the work.

On the skid pad, I was able to get the rear end to always step out whereas before I had to trouble doing so and had to really stab on the throttle to get it sideways. I believe it was because the e-diff preventing from doing so. I was able to get it to slide smoothly and gradually increase my angle. The instructor drove my car around the skid pad and unfortunately, he did say there was still some interference from the e-diff, but it wasn't as detrimental.

On the autocross, I felt a lot more planted and I experienced a lot less understeer.

All in all, a great performance mod
Appreciate 0